Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

Re: 2017-18 Penn State Women's Hockey - There's A New Sheriff In Town

This isn't specifically hockey related except as a venue subject, but I'm curious about something. At Pegula Ice Arena, once you enter and your ticket is scanned at the door, you can't step out of the arena for any reason and reenter without buying a new ticket. That means no stepping outside between periods or any other time.

Is this standard practice at hockey arenas around the country? I don't understand the policy at all, and it makes no sense to me, so I'm wondering how common a practice it is and what the purpose might be.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    This isn't specifically hockey related except as a venue subject, but I'm curious about something. At Pegula Ice Arena, once you enter and your ticket is scanned at the door, you can't step out of the arena for any reason and reenter without buying a new ticket. That means no stepping outside between periods or any other time.

Is this standard practice at hockey arenas around the country? I don't understand the policy at all, and it makes no sense to me, so I'm wondering how common a practice it is and what the purpose might be.
    Here in Minnesota, it is standard operating procedure at Mariucci Arena where the men play, no exceptions.
    At the women's Ridder Arena I believe it is too, but I've talked my way into leaving and returning a couple of times when I've left my glasses in the car.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Here in Minnesota, it is standard operating procedure at Mariucci Arena where the men play, no exceptions.
    At the women's Ridder Arena I believe it is too, but I've talked my way into leaving and returning a couple of times when I've left my glasses in the car.
    You ref???

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    You ref???
    Not in a million years. Way back when, when it was my turn to run the clock I couldn't even do that right.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

If anyone is going to the September 19 NHL preseason game at Pegula Ice Arena (Pittsburgh Penguins vs Buffalo Sabres), Penn State has released details for the event:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...081717aad.html

And yes, alcohol will be sold.

Straight from Coach Kampersal, and despite its omission from the official posted schedule, yes there is an intrasquad Blue-White scrimmage on Saturday, September 23, at 3:00pm.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 08-17-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Straight from Coach Kampersal, and despite its omission from the official posted schedule, yes there is an intrasquad Blue-White scrimmage on Saturday, September 23, at 3:00pm.
    In alum news, 2017 Penn State grad Laura Bowman has scored four goals and two assists in her first four games with EHV Sabres Vienna. Bowman joined the Vienna team this summer, along with Boston University graduate Sarah Steele.

Is it September 23 yet? Can't wait for the blue-white scrimmage and a first look at this team under Jeff Kampersal.

More fun alum news: 2016 Penn State grad Emily Laurenzi graduated last Thursday from the Orange County Sheriff's Regional Training Academy and is now a police officer in Buena Park, California. I can't wait to hear about the first dirtbag to underestimate her for her size.

24 days until the blue-white game at Pegula!

18 days until the women's hockey blue-white game on September 23!

Sure would like to hear from other Penn State fans who read this fan forum. This team gets a fresh start in the right direction this year, finally, and there's so much to talk about. What are you hoping to see as far as changes to systems, plays, etc? It's probably a no-brainer, but what do you think of the coaching change? Where do you see this team finishing the 2017-18 season?

Other than the inaugural season of D-1 hockey at Penn State, I can't remember another season getting ready to start with more excitement and anticipation than this 2017-18 season.

I see them finishing 3rd or 4th in the regular season CHA. Anything is possible in the playoffs, but I don't see PSU as the favorite. I could see their non conference wins improving, maybe getting a couple wins out of the Union and Merrimack series, and surprising someone else at some point during the year. Conference wins might go up too, but given the scoring that PSU graduated, I don't know if they'll move up to 2nd in the conference, from the 4th place finish in 16/17, despite other improvements that can be expected.

However, RMU went from 4th in the CHA in 15/16 to winning the conference championship last year. They also won the conference championship in Colontino's first year as coach back in 11/12 I think. So, who knows? Maybe you guys will do better than I think. We'll find out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    I see them finishing 3rd or 4th in the regular season CHA....Conference wins might go up too, but given the scoring that PSU graduated, I don't know if they'll move up to 2nd in the conference, from the 4th place finish in 16/17, despite other improvements that can be expected.
    I can see a solid third place regular season conference finish, but I'll go one step further and give them an even shot at second place, too. True, Penn State graduated a dynamic scoring combo in Laura Bowman and Amy Petersen, but I think Jeff Kampersal is going to really open up the shooting this season. Up to this point, Penn State has been on the short end (the very short end) of shots-per-game. I'm pretty sure that's going to change, so that should lead to a lot more scoring, something the conference teams aren't used to from Penn State.

I'm looking forward to seeing the blue chip freshman, Natalie Heising, and what Kampersal does with her talent, but there's talent all over this team that just hasn't been coached to its potential - that's why having Kampersal at Penn State makes things so exciting this season.

I can see a solid third place regular season conference finish, but I'll go one step further and give them an even shot at second place, too. True, Penn State graduated a dynamic scoring combo in Laura Bowman and Amy Petersen, but I think Jeff Kampersal is going to really open up the shooting this season. Up to this point, Penn State has been on the short end (the very short end) of shots-per-game. I'm pretty sure that's going to change, so that should lead to a lot more scoring, something the conference teams aren't used to from Penn State.

I'm looking forward to seeing the blue chip freshman, Natalie Heising, and what Kampersal does with her talent, but there's talent all over this team that just hasn't been coached to its potential - that's why having Kampersal at Penn State makes things so exciting this season.
    Should be a great 2 game series with Clarkson on what we have been told is parents weekend in Happy Valley. My wife and I will be there cheering on the Knights for both games and looking forward to seeing the new ice rink.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Should be a great 2 game series with Clarkson on what we have been told is parents weekend in Happy Valley. My wife and I will be there cheering on the Knights for both games and looking forward to seeing the new ice rink.
    See you there on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    See you there on Saturday.
    Lookin forward to it Joe.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Excited to see how the season unfolds and what Kampersal will do with the program. No question under his proven leadership this team will improve each year. He came in showing he means business with his first recruiting class/commitments for him with Zanon at forward and Lobdell on D coming in 2020. He's showing he's serious and this program will be a contender every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeSkates View Post
    Excited to see how the season unfolds and what Kampersal will do with the program. No question under his proven leadership this team will improve each year. He came in showing he means business with his first recruiting class/commitments for him with Zanon at forward and Lobdell on D coming in 2020. He's showing he's serious and this program will be a contender every year.
    This is what I could find for committments to Penn State:

2018-19
    -----------
    Isabel Heminger - Defense - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite U19
    Anna Promersberger - Forward - Shattuck St. Mary's
    Ashley McFadden - Forward - St. Mary's Academy, Winnipeg

2019-20
    -----------
    Julie Gough - Forward - Durham Junior Lightning
    Mallory Uihlein - Defense - Minnesota Junior Whitecaps U19 (White)

2020-21
    -----------
    Lyndie Lobdell - Forward - Chicago Mission U16
    Kiara Zanon - Forward - Selects Academy
    Jess Ciarrocchi - Forward - Exton Elite U19

This is what I could find for committments to Penn State:

2018-19
    -----------
    Isabel Heminger - Defense - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite U19
    Anna Promersberger - Forward - Shattuck St. Mary's
    Ashley McFadden - Forward - St. Mary's Academy, Winnipeg

2019-20
    -----------
    Julie Gough - Forward - Durham Junior Lightning
    Mallory Uihlein - Defense - Minnesota Junior Whitecaps U19 (White)

2020-21
    -----------
    Lyndie Lobdell - Forward - Chicago Mission U16
    Kiara Zanon - Forward - Selects Academy
    Jess Ciarrocchi - Forward - Exton Elite U19
    Mallory Uhlein-Edina HS- last year's state championship team
    #8 Mallory Uihlein – Another defenseman with a good slapshot, Uihlein teamed with Hendrikson to form a very solid pair. She was able to see some time on special teams in addition to skating her regular shifts.

I don't know exactly how good she is, but she made the varsity at Edina as a freshman and sophomore, so that is saying something, at least.
    Last edited by KTDC; 09-20-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Thread Information