Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp


  2. #2
    Making America Great Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    if Canada was honest, they'd put Bobby Clarke on the stamp for his vicious slash to Valeri Kharlamov's ankle which caused him to miss the rest of the series
    besides, it typifies Canadian hockey, the only sport where such antics are not only allowed, but admired
    if only they had shown such aggressive behavior towards their British masters
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    if Canada was honest, they'd put Bobby Clarke on the stamp for his vicious slash to Valeri Kharlamov's ankle which caused him to miss the rest of the series
    besides, it typifies Canadian hockey, the only sport where such antics are not only allowed, but admired
    if only they had shown such aggressive behavior towards their British masters
    My vote goes to Dave Forbes.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Forbes
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    My vote goes to Dave Forbes.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Forbes
    I once worked with his nephew.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    if Canada was honest, they'd put Bobby Clarke on the stamp for his vicious slash to Valeri Kharlamov's ankle which caused him to miss the rest of the series
    besides, it typifies Canadian hockey, the only sport where such antics are not only allowed, but admired
    if only they had shown such aggressive behavior towards their British masters
    If we had, we'd be...well...Americans!!!!

  6. #6
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    if Canada was honest, they'd put Bobby Clarke on the stamp for his vicious slash to Valeri Kharlamov's ankle which caused him to miss the rest of the series
    besides, it typifies Canadian hockey, the only sport where such antics are not only allowed, but admired
    if only they had shown such aggressive behavior towards their British masters
    Can you imagine the whining if it had been the other way around?
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  7. #7
    Making America Great Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    If we had, we'd be...well...Americans!!!!
    Just what we need, another 30 million people looking for the government to take care of them. Plus all those yucky Canadian pop singers. No thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Can you imagine the whining if it had been the other way around?
    No, I can’t imagine it. The Ruskies get all their aggression out by invading other countries, Canada does it playing hockey.
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    The Ruskies get all their aggression out by invading other countries
    And here I was starting to think that you actually pay attention to this stuff. Obviously not.

    You've heard the one about the pot and the kettle, haven't you?

  9. #9
    Making America Great Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    And here I was starting to think that you actually pay attention to this stuff. Obviously not.

    You've heard the one about the pot and the kettle, haven't you?
    If you don't like the US it's pretty simple, you Canadians can stop coming here, buying things we produce, and BTW, enjoying the longest unprotected border in the world.
    And BTW, the NHL and college hockey wouldn't exist without the US, the Pro men would be barely better off than the women and just look at the ridiculous college hockey Canada has.

    You get your undies in a bunch over the petro dollar but conveniently ignore the fact under the previous system the US was getting screwed by the same countries we rescued from self annihilation. It was a system the US agreed to in order to help those other nations get on their feet after destroying each other in WWII. You didn't expect this to go on forever did you?
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    If you don't like the US it's pretty simple, you Canadians can stop coming here, buying things we produce, and BTW, enjoying the longest unprotected border in the world.
    And BTW, the NHL and college hockey wouldn't exist without the US, the Pro men would be barely better off than the women and just look at the ridiculous college hockey Canada has.

    You get your undies in a bunch over the petro dollar but conveniently ignore the fact under the previous system the US was getting screwed by the same countries we rescued from self annihilation. It was a system the US agreed to in order to help those other nations get on their feet after destroying each other in WWII. You didn't expect this to go on forever did you?


    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    If you don't like the US it's pretty simple, you Canadians can stop coming here, buying things we produce, and BTW, enjoying the longest unprotected border in the world.
    You're getting needlessly defensive.

    It's not a question of liking or disliking the US, or any where else for that matter, it's about sticking to the facts and coming to grips with them regardless of whatever fantasies one would otherwise prefer to be the case.

    And are we to assume that US citizens don't also enjoy the same longest unprotected border in the world?...that it's just a Canadian thing?


    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    You get your undies in a bunch over the petro dollar but conveniently ignore the fact under the previous system the US was getting screwed by the same countries we rescued from self annihilation. It was a system the US agreed to in order to help those other nations get on their feet after destroying each other in WWII. You didn't expect this to go on forever did you?
    Nothing was in a bunch...I was just stating facts.

    Your understanding of the topic is distorted...to say the least. The only one that the US got "screwed" by, as you say, was the US. Years of reckless financial mismanagement especially due to its involvement in Viet Nam had weakened the US$ to the point where a crisis was occurring and gold was being demanded in size (eg: De Gaulle/France who understood the game and didn't want to get jerked around by the US holding their dollars while they were headed down the toilet so he and others exercised their right) in exchange for those receipts for gold called US dollars. Fort Knox (and I think West Point at the time as well) were being emptied at an alarming rate. That prompted Nixon, who blinked, to close the gold window thereby causing the US to default for a second time on its obligations in 35-40 years. This was the catalyst for all the financial smoke and mirrors that exists around the planet today...no currency on the planet is backed by anything of any substance...just promises of their issuing governments...they are nothing but floating abstractions. Well, the US has proven by those two defaults, among countless other things, how untrustworthy it is at keeping its promises. It's idiotic and dangerous to believe anything that any government "promises".

    To further stop the bleeding the US came up with the petrodollar scam whereby it convinced Saudi Arabia to only accept US$ for its oil around the globe in exchange for US military protection against its enemies. As we've previously agreed, that's a seemingly good gig if you can get it. But that doesn't mean that it is honourable or ethical or admirable. It just means that it was successful at pulling off that particular con regardless of the future consequences. Just ask yourself how attractive is a deal that you are offering someone if you have to offer them military protection in order to get them to agree to it? The US was happy to crawl into bed with one of the largest human rights violating regimes on the planet because the US was desperate. This allowed the US to export its inflation onto everyone else, as though they had nothing to do with it, (sort of like dumping your financial garbage, that you created, in your neighbour's yard because you are too irresponsible to deal with it), thereby allowing it to enjoy the artificial standard of living that it has for around 45 years. It is nothing but a shell game which is coming to its inevitable end. These are facts.

    And you would do well to not conflate the US government with its citizens, as would everyone else. They are different entities. US citizens are no better and no worse than anyone else on the planet. It's its successive governments that are the problem which has grown to Orwellian proportions...the exact opposite of what your Founding Fathers had envisioned. This was made possible by the citizens not constantly exercising vigilance as strongly advised by your Founding Fathers. Add these basic ingredients together...fake money, out of control, overreaching, parasitic government directed by sociopaths that controls almost every aspect of your lives today and which wants to controls everyone else's on the planet as well and...here we are.

    So there's no need to be constantly waving your flag. That just points out the obvious victims. It needs to be checked at the door if you have any desire or hope of understanding what is really going on around us...and that includes me too.

  11. #11
    Vort Doen.....Heija Heija Heija OnMAA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    5,747

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    the longest unprotected border in the world.
    "Unprotected"??? That is very misleading. You can't get across said border without being questioned or sometimes grilled by US customs agents. Meanwhile in Europe I can drive across many borders at full speed, 120KM/Hour, no questions asked.

  12. #12
    Making America Great Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by OnMAA View Post
    "Unprotected"??? That is very misleading. You can't get across said border without being questioned or sometimes grilled by US customs agents. Meanwhile in Europe I can drive across many borders at full speed, 120KM/Hour, no questions asked.
    unprotected as in military

    sure, they have to stop people entering Canada to make sure they've paid the proper taxes on goods bought in the US, and make sure we Americans ain't bringin' our 6 shooters in

    don't complain about not being able to go 120KM/hr, it is your ridiculous speed limit that is so low

    sure you can drive NOW like that in Europe, but just wait until the next war
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    don't complain about not being able to go 120KM/hr, it is your ridiculous speed limit that is so low
    Have you ever driven in Ontario? Nobody drives the speed limit up there.

    They always complain how slow us Americans are.

  14. #14
    Making America Great Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Have you ever driven in Ontario? Nobody drives the speed limit up there.

    They always complain how slow us Americans are.
    yes, I have noticed that despite the fact I usually drive 5mph over, everyone is passing me, most by a substantial margin
    it is also illegal to drive under the influence, but they seem to do a lot of that too
    that's what is ridiculous about it. the only other place I can think of with ridiculously low speed limits is in WI small hamlets that have 25mph speed limits
    well, I suppose when half your residents are three sheets to the wind, but I've never known WI drivers to obey their speed limits either

    Canadians are always pizzing about Americans doing something, if only they paid as much attention to their own behavior
    Last edited by pokechecker; 06-12-2017 at 02:03 PM.
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    210

    Re: The Most Famous Goal Scored in Canadian Hockey History is Now Featured on a Stamp

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    yes, I have noticed that despite the fact I usually drive 5mph over, everyone is passing me, most by a substantial margin
    it is also illegal to drive under the influence, but they seem to do a lot of that too

    Canadians are always pizzing about Americans doing something, if only they paid as much attention to their own behavior
    just be glad you don't drive through Quebec!!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,614
    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    yes, I have noticed that despite the fact I usually drive 5mph over, everyone is passing me, most by a substantial margin
    it is also illegal to drive under the influence, but they seem to do a lot of that too
    that's what is ridiculous about it. the only other place I can think of with ridiculously low speed limits is in WI small hamlets that have 25mph speed limits
    well, I suppose when half your residents are three sheets to the wind, but I've never known WI drivers to obey their speed limits either

    Canadians are always pizzing about Americans doing something, if only they paid as much attention to their own behavior
    NYS has open road, towns, and villages.

    When I drive to Potsdam next month, I'll be barreling along Rt 11 at 60-65 until I hit a town, when the speed limit drops to 35-40 and then to 25-30 in the village.

    Obey the town/village limits or you will be fined.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •