Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45.11: Attack! Repeat. Atrack!!!

Re: POTUS 45.11: Attack! Repeat. Atrack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    The obstruction is him asking Comey to stop looking at Flynn.
    Sure. Works for me.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It was never confirmed until now. Yeah, it was out there but you have to be very careful with assumptions nowadays. Now it's fact. He can't run. He can try lying some more but he can't do that either.
    it's still not confirmed. It's just Comey saying he did.

To remove Trumpy from office, we're gonna need cold hard paper trails of him working with the Russians, and hopefully, surveillance footage of him wacking himself in the corner while Russian hookers are ******ing on a mattress
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

The obstruction is him asking Comey to stop looking at Flynn.
    Let me ask this, and I really don't know the answer because I'm not familiar with criminal law. If I (or Trump) go to an investigator or the head of the FBI and say, "you know, there really is nothing to this whole Flynn thing, I think you should just let it go," is that technically obstruction of justice? Doesn't it take something more? Doesn't it take something like also connecting to that request the discussion with Comey about keeping his job, or his later termination? I know we have the Trump comments about why he fired Comey, so maybe they make that connection, but don't they actually need that connection?

If someone in Trumps position simply argues that there is nothing that Flynn did that is illegal and the investigation should be dropped, or even makes that statement to Comey but does nothing more (no threats to Comey or no actual interference in the investigation), that can't alone be obstruction, is it?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    it's still not confirmed. It's just Comey saying he did.

To remove Trumpy from office, we're gonna need cold hard paper trails of him working with the Russians, and hopefully, surveillance footage of him wacking himself in the corner while Russian hookers are ******ing on a mattress
    Based on credibility it's been confirmed as far as I'm concerned. Quite frankly I could give two ****s about getting him out of office with Pence in the wings. I just want any traction on anything stopped and that's getting more and more likely every day. I also want more and more scrutiny and oversight and that's getting more and more likely every day.

As far as I'm concerned today and tomorrow are huge wins for the halting of American Stupidity.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Let me ask this, and I really don't know the answer because I'm not familiar with criminal law. If I (or Trump) go to an investigator or the head of the FBI and say, "you know, there really is nothing to this whole Flynn thing, I think you should just let it go," is that technically obstruction of justice? Doesn't it take something more? Doesn't it take something like also connecting to that request the discussion with Comey about keeping his job, or his later termination? I know we have the Trump comments about why he fired Comey, so maybe they make that connection, but don't they actually need that connection?

If someone in Trumps position simply argues that there is nothing that Flynn did that is illegal and the investigation should be dropped, or even makes that statement to Comey but does nothing more (no threats to Comey or no actual interference in the investigation), that can't alone be obstruction, is it?
    At a minimum it's highly unethical and at this point we need some things that are left at a high ethical standard. It's Congress' job to make that happen. That becomes more and more likely every day no matter what Turtle Boy and Ryan the scumbag say.

You mean something like firing the FBI Director who didn't "just let it go?"

You mean something like firing the FBI Director who didn't just"let it go?"
    Good point. I had forgotten that piece. It's adding up to be quite the mess. Ideally we'll get a complete "Live Tweet" session from @realDonaldTrump tomorrow during testimony.

You mean something like firing the FBI Director who didn't just"let it go?"
    Didn't I reference that?

But that's my point. Your initial post that the "obstruction is asking Comey to stop looking at Flynn" isn't accurate unless there is that "or else", like a firing or a threat of firing or something else.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Didn't I reference that?

But that's my point. Your initial post that the "obstruction is asking Comey to stop looking at Flynn" isn't accurate unless there is that "or else", like a firing or a threat of firing or something else.
    Isn't firing enough? Or does there have to be reference to the quid pro quo first?

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Isn't firing enough? Or does there have to be reference to the quid pro quo first?
    Firing is the "or else" SJHovey referenced, Scooby. Does an obstruction of justice charge, in a situation like that, have to be predicated upon some punitive threat made towards the person conducting the investigation, or would simply making a request suffice?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Firing is the "or else" SJHovey referenced, Scooby. Does an obstruction of justice charge, in a situation like that, have to be predicated upon some punitive threat made towards the person conducting the investigation, or would simply making a request suffice?
    Yeah, that's what I meant but you stated it much better.

Someone needs to cite the obstruction statute under which the charge would be brought.

edit: I see there are a number of offenses set forth in 18 U.S.C beginning with section 1503.

This from section 1505:

18 U.S. Code 1505 - Obstruction of proceedings before departments, agencies, and committees

Whoever, with intent to avoid, evade, prevent, or obstruct compliance, in whole or in part, with any civil investigative demand duly and properly made under the Antitrust Civil Process Act, willfully withholds, misrepresents, removes from any place, conceals, covers up, destroys, mutilates, alters, or by other means falsifies any documentary material, answers to written interrogatories, or oral testimony, which is the subject of such demand; or attempts to do so or solicits another to do so; or

Whoever corruptly, or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication influences, obstructs, or impedes or endeavors to influence, obstruct, or impede the due and proper administration of the law under which any pending proceeding is being had before any department or agency of the United States, or the due and proper exercise of the power of inquiry under which any inquiry or investigation is being had by either House, or any committee of either House or any joint committee of the Congress—
    Last edited by burd; 06-07-2017 at 04:06 PM.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yes, but Trumpy can certainly argue that firing Covey was un-related to the Russian investigation. Now you and I might not buy that, but if you're gonna make that sort of thing stick to Trump, Mueller needs to dig up the hard evidence that proves that is why he was fired.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    At first I thought, "Big whoop."

Then I read that it was cancelled on extremely short notice. Someone's circling the wagons. Interesting indeed.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Whoever corruptly, or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication
    So this seems to be the money shot here.

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

Interesting thing about obstruction of justice charges is also there need not BE obstruction for one to be guilty, you only have to ATTEMPT to obstruct and can be found guilty of obstruction.

And of course right on cue are the mealy mouthed responses of the most patriotic of all Americans, the conservatives:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schlapp, Chairman of the American Conservative Union
    This is one man's account of a conversation, it is a set of notes, it's exactly what we expect from James Comey. ... He is a grand-stander, he likes to be the honest man, he is going to play that role on Thursday,
    He doesn't even bother denying the validity of what Comey has previewed, because he knows trump supporters don't even care if trump is a criminal. Of course most of trump's supporters are so stupid they don't have a second brain cell that possesses the ability to think critically. We're either gonna see this 5h!t until 2021 or the media is going to suffer extreme trump fatigue and give up before the 2018 midterms.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Interesting thing about obstruction of justice charges is also there need not BE obstruction for one to be guilty, you only have to ATTEMPT to obstruct and can be found guilty of obstruction.

And of course right on cue are the mealy mouthed responses of the most patriotic of all Americans, the conservatives:

He doesn't even bother denying the validity of what Comey has previewed, because he knows trump supporters don't even care if trump is a criminal. Of course most of trump's supporters are so stupid they don't have a second brain cell that possesses the ability to think critically. We're either gonna see this 5h!t until 2021 or the media is going to suffer extreme trump fatigue and give up before the 2018 midterms.
    I remember hearing this asshat talk a few weeks ago and I had to change the channel. He offers nothing of substance. I couldn't find what I remember him talking about but it was maddening.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Let me ask this, and I really don't know the answer because I'm not familiar with criminal law. If I (or Trump) go to an investigator or the head of the FBI and say, "you know, there really is nothing to this whole Flynn thing, I think you should just let it go," is that technically obstruction of justice?
    Depends upon the relationship of "I (or Trump)" in this theoretical to, "an investigator or the head of the FBI".

People smarter then I on the TV are saying obstruction. Seems to be clear.

Thread Information