This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

Funny that Trump tweeted he represents the people of Pittsburgh not Paris which is then responded to by the Mayor of Pittsburgh that they will do everything they can to follow the Paris Accord

In other news both Bob Iger and Elon Musk have left that stupid business committee Trump pretended to care about over this and even the CEO of Goldman Sachs said this is bad decision. Nicely done Donald

And sorry I dont ever want to see America not take the lead because I dont trust anyone else to do so. For all our faults I will take us over the other countries almost all the time.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'll confess that I don't know as much about this Paris agreement as I probably should, but isn't it correct that this agreement was one that Obama himself was able to agree to? That is, it's not really a treaty or anything that had to be approved by Congress and that is now undone?

It obviously seems like a stupid move on Trump's part, but is there going to be anything realistically that would prevent the next President, or even Trump himself next week, from just saying "we're back in?"

I agree it seems like a good idea to get working on climate issues sooner rather than later, but realistically isn't the primary problem created by Trump's move more of a "public appearance" problem to the rest of the world as opposed to long term damage to the environment, assuming a sane person takes control of the wheel here four years from now?
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I'll confess that I don't know as much about this Paris agreement as I probably should, but isn't it correct that this agreement was one that Obama himself was able to agree to? That is, it's not really a treaty or anything that had to be approved by Congress and that is now undone?

It obviously seems like a stupid move on Trump's part, but is there going to be anything realistically that would prevent the next President, or even Trump himself next week, from just saying "we're back in?"

I agree it seems like a good idea to get working on climate issues sooner rather than later, but realistically isn't the primary problem created by Trump's move more of a "public appearance" problem to the rest of the world as opposed to long term damage to the environment, assuming a sane person takes control of the wheel here four years from now?
        Any international agreement to involve action by the United States, by definition, is a treaty. According to the Constitution, international treaties must be ratified by 2/3 of the Senate. Obama only signed by executive order; he did not get the Senate involved. Other parties may view the signing by the executive branch (whether President or Secretary of State, as John Kerry had signed a few things when he was around) as binding, but the United States, by their own Constitutional authority, does not. What Trump is effectively doing is issuing an executive order to confirm the United States' legal status that the treaty is not recognized. Juncker can say what he wants, try to convince the five protesting mayors to give money to the setup, and put down whatever sanctions he wishes, but at the end of the day, the United States has never officially been a part of that accord.

Comment

What's really odd about this whole thing is the "jobs" part.

It's pretty clear that there's an emerging market for making solar and wind power systems which is driving an industry to create jobs.

But people would rather go into a big hole in the ground, dig that up, and do that for 8 hours a day vs. working in a clean plant, above ground, where the market is growing. China is moving fast on that, we know that. And in reply to China and letting them have the entire market, we say yes. A very loud yes. Great for future jobs in the US.

What's up with that?

Some people don't seem to understand that their families MOVED to the mines and mills from other places where jobs were scarce. And doing that now is still feasible.

Once again, people have no idea that good regulations drive jobs. A lot of them. This one is yet another good example of a job creating regulation. But digging dirty rocks out of the ground is more appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

It's pretty clear that there's an emerging market for making solar and wind power systems which is driving an industry to create jobs.

But people would rather go into a big hole in the ground, dig that up, and do that for 8 hours a day vs. working in a clean plant, above ground, where the market is growing. China is moving fast on that, we know that. And in reply to China and letting them have the entire market, we say yes. A very loud yes. Great for future jobs in the US.

What's up with that?

Some people don't seem to understand that their families MOVED to the mines and mills from other places where jobs were scarce. And doing that now is still feasible.

Once again, people have no idea that good regulations drive jobs. A lot of them. This one is yet another good example of a job creating regulation. But digging dirty rocks out of the ground is more appealing.
            Nobody's saying cut solar and wind, aside from maybe some belief that shady corporatists exist, whether they do or not. What's to say you can't do both? After all, wouldn't that create even more opportunity? Or is the real goal here to force the hand?

There's not a good market for solar in our current state, as we found out with taxpayer-propped Solyndra, as well as other heavily subsidized companies in the industry, going belly up. Unfortunately, some of that has to do with mandates that power companies have been able to negotiate with legislatures to force people onto a grid instead of producing their own power. Believe it or not, solar is feasible in a number of markets under the right conditions. It might not be as feasible in a skylined concrete jungle, but rurally and in the suburbs, it would, not to mention if someone wished to live in the middle of nowhere with electricity. Aside from Agenda 21, why would we not embrace decentralization and achieve both of our goals? Heck, wouldn't the decentralization also create the need for mechanics and create *GASP* more jobs?

I'm not much of a fan of wind. Aside from needing the correct conditions, it doesn't produce nearly enough power to offset the amount of room needed, not to mention the NIMBY unpopularity with noise pollution.

Comment

What's up with that?

Caves, fittingly.

Comment

So Exxon wanted Trump to stay with the Paris accord. Suddenly they have conscious?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  So Exxon wanted Trump to stay with the Paris accord. Suddenly they have conscious?

No...they just know what the core is. Exxon has been doing research into Climate Change since I think the 1970s. They told Trump months ago not to back out of the Paris Accord because they know the future is not in oil. Unlike him they are smart businessmen and women and they want to be part of the cutting edge.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

Exxon is pure globalist. Plus, they want all their product to go to China.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Nobody's saying cut solar and wind, aside from maybe some belief that shady corporatists exist, whether they do or not. What's to say you can't do both? After all, wouldn't that create even more opportunity? Or is the real goal here to force the hand?

There's not a good market for solar in our current state, as we found out with taxpayer-propped Solyndra, as well as other heavily subsidized companies in the industry, going belly up. Unfortunately, some of that has to do with mandates that power companies have been able to negotiate with legislatures to force people onto a grid instead of producing their own power. Believe it or not, solar is feasible in a number of markets under the right conditions. It might not be as feasible in a skylined concrete jungle, but rurally and in the suburbs, it would, not to mention if someone wished to live in the middle of nowhere with electricity. Aside from Agenda 21, why would we not embrace decentralization and achieve both of our goals? Heck, wouldn't the decentralization also create the need for mechanics and create *GASP* more jobs?

I'm not much of a fan of wind. Aside from needing the correct conditions, it doesn't produce nearly enough power to offset the amount of room needed, not to mention the NIMBY unpopularity with noise pollution.
                      Nobody's saying to cut it?

That's not the issue.

The issue is that given the choice between buying power stuff from the US or buying it from China, don just flipped off the world telling them to buy it someplace else, because we want to burn rocks.

And you really expect companies to pour money into a market that we don't want to be world leaders in? I can't see that happening.

Again, don got nervous that China was starting to lead this new market, so instead of doubling down and taking the lead back, he handed it to China. Great for future jobs.

Solandra was a wet dream for people like you- pretending that government support is bad, because it will lead to corruption- burying your head in the sand for the amount of waste, for the sake of profit, that private funding does, too. ONE example of something bad does not define an industry.

And NOBODY is bringing up the future of nuclear power. Where we could have lead the world, and made a lot of money, but we would rather burn rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

What makes Trump's move even more stupid is that most of the blue states and virtually every major company in the US have already signed onto a pledge to comply. Companies aren't going to wait for the government to sign on to these things. They see that the global market is moving this way and there is an asston of money to be made in renewable energy.

All this move did was make us look like cavemen, weaken our leadership position in the world, and almost certainly harm our economy.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Good thing none of the big players in the fossil fuel industry are "globalists" or 1%ers.

Comment

Nobody's saying to cut it?

That's not the issue.

The issue is that given the choice between buying power stuff from the US or buying it from China, don just flipped off the world telling them to buy it someplace else, because we want to burn rocks.

And you really expect companies to pour money into a market that we don't want to be world leaders in? I can't see that happening.

Again, don got nervous that China was starting to lead this new market, so instead of doubling down and taking the lead back, he handed it to China. Great for future jobs.

Solandra was a wet dream for people like you- pretending that government support is bad, because it will lead to corruption- burying your head in the sand for the amount of waste, for the sake of profit, that private funding does, too. ONE example of something bad does not define an industry.

And NOBODY is bringing up the future of nuclear power. Where we could have lead the world, and made a lot of money, but we would rather burn rocks.
                            So the real goal is to force the hand. And I don't know if you noticed, but the Paris accords don't apply to China. They can and will burn all the rocks they want.

If you want a country to fail, attack its energy.

And I see once again, you're trying to make the country choose between an undiscovered nuclear fusion and fossil fuels. Again, you are attempting to force the hand of non-fossil-fuels, and you have no problem destroying the country in order to achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              And I don't know if you noticed, but the Paris accords don't apply to China.
                              Wait, so China doesn't have an Intended Nationally Determined Contribution? That's news to, let's see, literally everyone.
                              Last edited by French Rage; 06-02-2017, 11:54 AM.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

China is also well ahead of their agreed to goals.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X