Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1002

Thread: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,525

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    AARP is 4x as lethal a lobby as the NRA. Only about fifty percent of men have small dicks, but 100% of both sexes are planning on being old.
    There is a big difference between what AARP staff want and what AARP members want. The staff wanted PPACA while surveys of seniors in 2010 showed that a majority of seniors strongly opposed it because it took funds from Medicare to finance its promised "benefits."
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,525

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    It's too bad we can't get some historical track record for various experts' "predictions."

    All the projections about the "benefits" of PPACA from 2010 were way, way off compared to what actually happened afterward. These blah-blah-blah "experts" we are hearing from now are just as likely to be wildly inaccurate as well.

    They all assume that nobody will change their behavior in the slightest in response to changing incentives. the one thing we know for sure is that incentives matter. Logically, the one thing we know for sure is that all these "experts" are going to be wrong this time as well.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,525

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    One of the posters here, I wish I could find the original post, typified perfectly the problem we face:

    "I want everyone to have access to above-average healthcare."


    and it was said with complete sincerity.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,796

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    There is a big difference between what AARP staff want and what AARP members want. The staff wanted PPACA while surveys of seniors in 2010 showed that a majority of seniors strongly opposed it because it took funds from Medicare to finance its promised "benefits."
    IIRC the staff wanted it because AARP was going to be/is in the supplemental insurance market.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  5. #165

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,360

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    There is a big difference between what AARP staff want and what AARP members want.
    This is certainly true of the NRA.

    I don't know what point you are trying to make about seniors. The AHCA is about as popular with them as ptomaine.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  6. #166
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,854
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    They all assume that nobody will change their behavior in the slightest in response to changing incentives.
    You say this a lot. I've never seen proof that they don't try to take it into account. Frankly, in my senior project for a bachelor's in economics, we tried to take everything into account that we could. I would hazard a guess the PhDs working for the CBO know a thing or two about modelling.

  7. #167
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    63,583

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Fox News had a debate. Repub and Dem Senator. The Repub Senator and the pundits believe health care is more sustainable under the emergency room model than Medicaid. It's an interesting argument. Basically they're throwing out right now that Health Care was in great shape prior to Obamacare.

    It might work. People don't learn anything in this country from history and have the memories of insects.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  8. #168
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,229

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Slavitt is hearing the house is staying in D.C. All week to try and push the bill through after senate.
    This could be law in a week.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    33,677

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Slavitt is hearing the house is staying in D.C. All week to try and push the bill through after senate.
    This could be law in a week.
    July 4th was their self imposed deadline...zero percent chance a GOP senator makes the choice to be the vote that stops it from becoming law.

    This will be great...all those businesses that cant afford full time workers will be dumping tons into hiring new full time workers right?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  10. #170
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    63,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    July 4th was their self imposed deadline...zero percent chance a GOP senator makes the choice to be the vote that stops it from becoming law.

    This will be great...all those businesses that cant afford full time workers will be dumping tons into hiring new full time workers right?
    Nope. We need deeper tax cuts first.

  11. #171
    Internet Nutcase
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    I was speaking with a doctor the other day. His impression is that the bill does absolutely nothing to correct any problems in healthcare and in fact makes things worse. He is convinced that the only thing the Republicans are trying to do is 1) give tax breaks to the wealthy and 2) be able to say "see we did something".

  12. #172
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,740

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I was speaking with a doctor the other day. His impression is that the bill does absolutely nothing to correct any problems in healthcare and in fact makes things worse. He is convinced that the only thing the Republicans are trying to do is 1) give tax breaks to the wealthy and 2) be able to say to the rubes, "see we repealed that nasty Obamacare".
    Fixed
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  13. #173
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    63,583

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I was speaking with a doctor the other day. His impression is that the bill does absolutely nothing to correct any problems in healthcare and in fact makes things worse. He is convinced that the only thing the Republicans are trying to do is 1) give tax breaks to the wealthy and 2) be able to say "see we did something".
    That appears to be the consensus across the board. Interesting bill for Mitch and Ryan. There's nothing conservative about it. It's just a big tax break. It even fails on repeal cause it's just a partial repeal.

    It does accomplish their only reason for being though. More money for the 1% and the excuse that every tax break is going to do that because the 1% pay all the taxes. It's a beautiful scheme if you can get it.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  14. #174
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    27,299

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    I just want to see which Senator pulls an Upton and writes some band-aid to get to 50 votes and what they get for it.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  15. #175
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    33,677

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Nope. We need deeper tax cuts first.
    Oh yeah...I forgot it was a two pronged fight!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    I just want to see which Senator pulls an Upton and writes some band-aid to get to 50 votes and what they get for it.
    I think it's multiple. They'll all pretend to be holding out for something, make a few amendments, then go home a "hero."

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    33,677

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    I read an article about how the GOP Senators from Maryland and West Virginia wanted $45 billion to fight the opiod crisis...and the bill gave them $2 billion. Normally I would think that would be the sticking point but zero percent chance they hold up the bill on account of that when the vote is called.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  18. #178

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,360

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    pulls an Upton
    I'll be in my bunk.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  19. #179

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,360

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I read an article about how the GOP Senators from Maryland and West Virginia wanted $45 billion to fight the opiod crisis...and the bill gave them $2 billion. Normally I would think that would be the sticking point but zero percent chance they hold up the bill on account of that when the vote is called.
    Although it is an excuse. The thing is, the leadership and Trump need something they can call a win, but the rank and file have to worry about getting sh-tcanned by their voters when they all lose their health insurance. What better reason to "after much agonizing thought I must regretfully..." buck the party than because you "can not stand idly by while our great, great American people are denied life-saving" payola?

    I assume this sort of scenario is replicated across the entire GOP caucus and it only takes four "country over party" (in reality, "self over everything") gestures to stop El Stinko Care in its tracks.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-26-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  20. #180
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,740

    Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Although it is an excuse. The thing is, the leadership and Trump need something they can call a win, but the rank and file have to worry about getting sh-tcanned by their voters when they all lose their health insurance. What better reason to "after much agonizing thought I must regretfully..." buck the party than because you "can not stand idly by while our great, great American people are denied life-saving" payola?

    I assume this sort of scenario is replicated across the entire GOP caucus and it only takes four "country over party" (in reality, "self over everything") gestures to stop El Stinko Care in its tracks.
    Most Trumpsters don't think they're going to lose their healthcare under this plan. Even if they do it's fine, because they're sticking it to "the lazy freeloaders who don't work", and the AHCA will allow them to buy a better plan directly from the insurance companies. That is what they believe.

    So, the Congresscritters in this predicament are likely more damned if they don't vote for this turd, than if they do.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •