Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    She has much more to worry about in a primary than general election. I wouldn't be shocked to see Brakey win in 2018 and LePage win in 2020. I think the people who are getting screwed by Obamacare(they exist) are much more passionate about voting than those who are benefiting. In a lot of ways I think the vote failing will be a boon to republicans next year. The bill wouldn't have helped many people had it passed and now they can still use it as an issue to run on.
    There is no way that no name Brakey is going to beat Angust King, also one of the most popular senators.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      The party is not a joke. The leadership needs to be replaced.
      Joe, you seem more like an old-school, traditional Republican than the newer alt-right, Tea Bagger model. As such, the thinking displayed in your posts contains the usual gaping logical shortcomings, profound lack of awareness, and refusal to connect even the most connectable of dots if it doesn’t suit your position but stops way short of the literally insane, outright fascist lunacy that’s in favor in the party at this time. (Tangent, how do you not see that you have far more in common with the current Democratic Party than this collection of sociopaths? Is it really a case of “I decided at 18 I was a Republican and it would be a sign of weakness to ever change that”? This isn’t Red Sox / Yankees for godssake, it’s slightly more important, and bottom line, your party left you, that’s already happened, done deal, for you to not see that or act accordingly is a whole other level of psychology that needs looking into.)

There are 3 animating principles of the Republican Party, and only 3:
      • Do anything and everything to enrich their plutocrat masters
      • Oppose anything any liberal ever said might even slightly be a good idea (clean water is now a liberal thing…?)
      • Dismantle anything the Kenyan Muslim did

(And even those last 2 are more for chits and giggles than anything else, and are never to interfere with the first one.)

Education, health care, clean air/water, the rule of law, upward mobility, peace – no interest whatsoever. That’s not just a party leadership thing, that goes to the marrow of the party. That is who they are. I know self-delusion has always been a big favorite with conservatives but some of you old-school guys are taking it to a new extreme with your continued, knee-jerk support of a party that was hi-jacked from you wholesale over the last 15 years.
      I went home with a waitress the way I always do
      How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        The party is not a joke. The leadership needs to be replaced.
        yeah, if only they were more effective in ****ing over the poor and middle class at the expense of the wealthy then they would be real leaders! You're sitting there lamenting the fact that the leadership couldn't push through a bill to kick millions off insurance and raise premiums for everyone else.

you don't give a **** about how awful the Republican platform is because they throw you an occasional bone on abortion. It's really quite pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          The GOP is a step to the right away from a white nationalist fascist party. That's not the leadership, it's the rank and file.
          We would not have gotten Palin and Trump without the rank and file.
          Last edited by burd; 07-28-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            There is no way that no name Brakey is going to beat Angust King, also one of the most popular senators.
            Are the democrats going to run someone? If they do that gives Brakey a decent opportunity. I really think King has been a huge disappointment. He marketed himself as someone who was going to bridge the divide in the senate and has been completely useless. Does he ever not vote with the democrats? Has he had one meaningful accomplishment?
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
              Joe, you seem more like an old-school, traditional Republican than the newer alt-right, Tea Bagger model. As such, the thinking displayed in your posts contains the usual gaping logical shortcomings, profound lack of awareness, and refusal to connect even the most connectable of dots if it doesn’t suit your position but stops way short of the literally insane, outright fascist lunacy that’s in favor in the party at this time. (Tangent, how do you not see that you have far more in common with the current Democratic Party than this collection of sociopaths? Is it really a case of “I decided at 18 I was a Republican and it would be a sign of weakness to ever change that”? This isn’t Red Sox / Yankees for godssake, it’s slightly more important, and bottom line, your party left you, that’s already happened, done deal, for you to not see that or act accordingly is a whole other level of psychology that needs looking into.)

There are 3 animating principles of the Republican Party, and only 3:
              • Do anything and everything to enrich their plutocrat masters
              • Oppose anything any liberal ever said might even slightly be a good idea (clean water is now a liberal thing…?)
              • Dismantle anything the Kenyan Muslim did

(And even those last 2 are more for chits and giggles than anything else, and are never to interfere with the first one.)

Education, health care, clean air/water, the rule of law, upward mobility, peace – no interest whatsoever. That’s not just a party leadership thing, that goes to the marrow of the party. That is who they are. I know self-delusion has always been a big favorite with conservatives but some of you old-school guys are taking it to a new extreme with your continued, knee-jerk support of a party that was hi-jacked from you wholesale over the last 15 years.
              Joe is a single issue voter. He thinks abortion is murder, and that belief trumps any other consideration (pun intended).

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I really think King has been a huge disappointment.
                Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                  Joe, you seem more like an old-school, traditional Republican than the newer alt-right, Tea Bagger model. As such, the thinking displayed in your posts contains the usual gaping logical shortcomings, profound lack of awareness, and refusal to connect even the most connectable of dots if it doesn’t suit your position but stops way short of the literally insane, outright fascist lunacy that’s in favor in the party at this time. (Tangent, how do you not see that you have far more in common with the current Democratic Party than this collection of sociopaths? Is it really a case of “I decided at 18 I was a Republican and it would be a sign of weakness to ever change that”?
                  I'm sure joe will speak for himself but I believe he has said abortion prevents him from voting Democratic. My parents were both ardent Catholics and it was with misgivings that they voted Democratic. My Dad, who was the far more doctrinaire one (being a hardcore intellectual Jesuit convert) did so only about half the time when he saw the Republicans as equally in violation of other basic Christian tenets. My Mom did so because when her town was washed away in a flood when she was seven FDR personally handed her a Hershey's candy bar, thus winning what is currently a 70-year straight ticket Democratic voting record. Now that was efficient.

I can understand that. I know many people for whom the racism and misogyny and homophobia of the GOP make it impossible to vote for them even when they agree on policy. In short I understand why joe doesn't vote D, though given his apparent good sense I can't for the life of me figure out how he can vote R.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2017, 12:13 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Democrats have been the centrist mainstream party ever since Bill Clinton. What we need is for both parties to slide to the left and become a reasonable left and a reasonable right, and then to gently oscillate between those two. What we have had for twenty years is staggering jolts between a center platform and a radical right wing Utopian political experiment that has failed.
                    Both parties want to think they represent the center. Lets agree that it has ebbed and flowed the last 25 years.

I think Republicans need to acknowledge there is an element in the party that is very undesirable. In a lot of respects, it is equivalent to the inner city welfare crowd that always go for democrats. You're completely right that the decent people in both parties need to take charge for the good of the country. It seems like post 9/11 we've completely lost our way.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Both parties want to think they represent the center. Lets agree that it has ebbed and flowed the last 25 years.
                      No. It ebbed and flowed from the 1860s up to the late 1970s. Then the GOP was hijacked by radicals who have since pushed it so far to the right that it is now a mongrel crossbred between a 21st century Eastern European white nationalist party and a mid-19th century monarchist/industrialist Bonapartist party.

Indeed, the GOP is no longer even a political party. It's a diseased reactionary movement dangerously similar to that which spawned fascism in the 1930s.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2017, 12:21 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I think Republicans need to acknowledge there is an element in the party that is very undesirable. In a lot of respects, it is equivalent to the inner city welfare crowd that always go for democrats. You're completely right that the decent people in both parties need to take charge for the good of the country. It seems like post 9/11 we've completely lost our way.
                        The GOP in no way can legitimately claim to represent the center.

Comment

Wait, are you comparing racist xenophobes with poor people?

Or implying that inner city welfare crowd are somehow undesirable?

I kinda doubt that people living in the inner city on welfare actually enjoy being like that. Whereas the racist xenophobes do. Many revel in it.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Wait, are you comparing racist xenophobes with poor people?

Or implying that inner city welfare crowd are somehow undesirable?

I kinda doubt that people living in the inner city on welfare actually enjoy being like that. Whereas the racist xenophobes do. Many revel in it.
                            The Black Horde is an old conservative chestnut. In their fever dreams they believe society will break down and the darkies will spill out of the cities like army ants coming for their crops and daughters.

It's why they stockpile all the guns.
                            Cornell University

Comment

No, 9/11 is when we lost our minds.
                              We lost our way in 1980 when we decided that Ayn Rand was God.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm sure joe will speak for himself but I believe he has said abortion prevents him from voting Democratic. ...though given his apparent good sense I can't for the life of me figure out how he can vote R.
                                Killing people post birth seems to be 100% ok with Joe, great sense...

Comment

Working...
                                X