Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The amendment schedule is controlled by the majority leadership -- they'll only allow votes on what they want. The only real power the minority has is the threat of filibuster which is nullified under reconciliation.
    Well, then they lied which is going to make what they do interesting.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      If you're all wondering what happens after conference committee, I was too.

They are doing all this under reconciliation to avoid the 60. That was what eventually killed the Senate version; the Parliamentarian found about a dozen violations of the reconciliation criteria. So they have to somehow come up with a bill that will pass the moderates in the Senate, the nutbars in the House, and still stay under reconciliation according to the Parliamentarian, and cut enough people from health insurance to pay for their tax cut for the rich which is the only purpose of this whole charade, all in the teeth of enormous public opposition and in the shadow of the drunkard's walk of Trump.

Good luck.
      Wasn't PPACA passed under reconciliation under a straight party line vote?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        My understanding is it's a motion to proceed to consider, which means debate. Under reconciliation cloture is triggered automatically after ten hours of debate after which they proceed directly to the vote, so this is the equivalent of passing the bill unless somebody actually changes their vote during the debate which doesn't happen because nobody in the history of any legislature has ever listened to the debate, even when they themselves are speaking. That's strictly a show for the rubes. The cynical threats and bribes, er, I mean intellectually and morally robust negotiations have already happened by the time of the motion to proceed.
        I thought a lot of didn't pass reconciliation rules though?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          nope. Straight party line vote, but it took 60 votes.

Comment

John McCain is saying on the floor that he WILL NOT VOTE for the bill as proposed. That should kill it.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Nope.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Well, then they lied which is going to make what they do interesting.
                Think of it this way. They just voted to proceed to debate. So now they have to debate. But debate what? I mean, which bill is this even going to be?

They can allow amendments but they still need their 50 votes for the actual vote, so whatever goes into the sh-t sandwich can't peel any GOP vote off. The leadership just told their caucus "you don't have to worry about what's in the bill you're voting for because we're going to solve all the problems in committee" so they don't have to worry about actual consequences of this Senate bill because there are none, it's a cipher. But they do have to worry about optics and about the commercials their opponents will run against them in 2018, so McConnell can't allow any substantive amendment that would embarrass any of his Members to even get to a vote, much less be passed.
                Last edited by Kepler; 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

John McCain is saying on the floor that he WILL NOT VOTE for the bill as proposed. That should kill it.
                  John McCain while doing this is lying up and down about how Obamacare was passed.

Comment

John McCain while doing this is lying up and down about how Obamacare was passed.
                    Given his brain cancer, he may not actually remember how Obamacare was passed. He may not be lying, he may simply be wrong.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Given his brain cancer, he may not actually remember how Obamacare was passed. He may not be lying, he may simply be wrong.
                      It is mind boggling to me how every Republican has forgotten that it was passed through regular order. It had debate, hearings, and many Republican Amendments.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Sorry I dont buy that. He has flunkies working for him they would have made sure he knew what he needed to say.

The factthat he is saying this at all makes me believe his "I will vote no as is" is BS and when his name is called he is voting "Yes". He is praying Heller, Collins and Rand Paul make his vote not matter.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Sorry I dont buy that. He has flunkies working for him they would have made sure he knew what he needed to say.

The factthat he is saying this at all makes me believe his "I will vote no as is" is BS and when his name is called he is voting "Yes". He is praying Heller, Collins and Rand Paul make his vote not matter.
                          He's going to vote yes. And I fear one of the other three will cave too.

Comment

Heller seems most likely to cave, and lives in a purple state with a big libertarian streak. Paul is an ideological nutcase in a state that is safely red, and Collins seems pretty firm on not de-funding women's health.

Comment

Pretty sure he did vote yes...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3355072

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who announced a brain cancer diagnosis last week, returned to the floor to cast a yes vote.
                              As for the others
                              Republican Senators who had held off on previous versions of the bill, including Dean Heller of Nevada and Shelley Moore Capito, announced their support for a debate ahead of the anticipated vote.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                Pretty sure he did vote yes...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3355072

As for the others
                                He voted yes to bring it to the floor. No one has voted yes on an actual Health Care Bill yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X