Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Wait, holy ****. The Senate Parliamentarian makes over $170k a year.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well this also shows that Murkowski has no spine. They knew McCain was staying true so they let her pretend she had a conscience.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The BCRA failed 43-57 today. Tomorrow they're voting on Rand Paul's full repeal, which will also likely fail.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          The BCRA failed 43-57 today. Tomorrow they're voting on Rand Paul's full repeal, which will also likely fail.
          And then Skinny Repeal, which is all the marbles.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Probably not a coincidence that MSNBC passed Fox News for the first time tonight.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Voting to repeal is one thing. Voting to even start the debate is completely another. https://www.infowars.com/senate-vote...-to-break-tie/

Talk about obstructionists...

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Probably not a coincidence that MSNBC passed Fox News for the first time tonight.
                People are finally seeing that Fox Snooze is going left. Been happening for quite a while.

Comment

I had thought they passed fox a while ago. The comments seem to indicate that as well. This was the first time MSNBC was he #1 prime time cable network over all cable channels.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ar-vote-240966

Half of Trump voters think he won the popular vote. Dumb or delusional. Hell, why not both?
                    Code:

Comment

So I guess the real question is, will Maddow actually ever thank Trump for this gift, or will she and the rest of the network fall into the same trap Fox News did and believe their ascension is due to just good, clean, hard, unbiased journalism?
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        So I guess the real question is, will Maddow actually ever thank Trump for this gift, or will she and the rest of the network fall into the same trap Fox News did and believe their ascension is due to just good, clean, hard, unbiased journalism?
                        It's really hard to take these posts seriously. Fox News called Obama anti-American because he put Dijon on a burger, didnt wear a lapel pin, and was a Kenyan Muslim. MSNBC just wants to know if Trump and his cronies partnered with a sworn nemesis to throw an election.

MSNBC never claimed to be unbiased. But they do good journalism.

What substantive investigative journalism has Fox done in the last eight years during their prime time lineup?
                        Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          She should thank the executives who removed Billy O from the evening lineup.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            It's really hard to take these posts seriously. Fox News called Obama anti-American because he put Dijon on a burger, didnt wear a lapel pin, and was a Kenyan Muslim. MSNBC just wants to know if Trump and his cronies partnered with a sworn nemesis to throw an election.

MSNBC never claimed to be unbiased. But they do good journalism.

What substantive investigative journalism has Fox done in the last eight years during their prime time lineup?
                            The point of my post was that had HRC won the election, MSNBC and Maddow would be scuffling along at the bottom of the ratings, wondering if they should bring Keith Olbermann or Ed Schultz back.

Fox News was built on a viewership that hated the Clintons and wanted to watch someone attack them at every turn. The network had a good run, even sustaining it through Bush II when the R's held the White House.

The hatred for all things Trump has now done the same for MSNBC. MSNBC tilts hard left. I'm not sure even they deny that. There is a huge tv viewing market out there right now for that kind of programming.

It's just that when people or organizations see good fortune come their way through circumstances that were beyond their control, it's funny how often those people or organizations conclude their success is due entirely to their own talents.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I don't think Fox ever fell into that trap. They've always known what they are. The "fair and balanced" tag line is for the saps. They employ morons like O'Reilly and Hannity who don't get it, but Kelly and Smith always knew what they were doing: hot wiring their audience's delusions to rake in the advertising dollars. It was all always quite methodical and cold, like Disney.

MSNBC is more likely to fall into that trap because we on the left have just as much a blind spot conflating our advocacy and objective reportage, and we lack the killer marketing instinct to remind us of what the mission statement really is. You see it among less mature liberals all the time, particularly on campus. I not saying we're not objectively correct on the facts -- we are, of course. But there are means of delivering the message that are purely factual and rational, and then there are means that appeal to the emotions. Ironically, the comedy shows have been the former -- Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert demolish the right on the facts; they simply use comedy because it's less preachy. MSNBC is the latter. Rachel probably understands this at some level -- she's similar to Kos who understands it thoroughly. But there are potentially lefty equivalents to O'Reilly and Hannity out there who wouldn't get it (Randi Rhodes is every bit as stupid and repellent as those guys), and could lead that network into trouble by getting high on their own supply.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 07-26-2017, 09:00 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The point of my post was that had HRC won the election, MSNBC and Maddow would be scuffling along at the bottom of the ratings, wondering if they should bring Keith Olbermann or Ed Schultz back.

Fox News was built on a viewership that hated the Clintons and wanted to watch someone attack them at every turn. The network had a good run, even sustaining it through Bush II when the R's held the White House.

The hatred for all things Trump has now done the same for MSNBC. MSNBC tilts hard left. I'm not sure even they deny that. There is a huge tv viewing market out there right now for that kind of programming.

It's just that when people or organizations see good fortune come their way through circumstances that were beyond their control, it's funny how often those people or organizations conclude their success is due entirely to their own talents.
                                For the record, I agree with this completely. Fox is only worse than MSNBC because they've been at it longer so their head has lodged even deeper in their own as-s. But given the same amount of reward and longevity there is nothing to prevent MSNBC from becoming just as nakedly mendacious.

Those are entertainment networks. Their product is fan service: they stroke the prejudices of their viewers and never, ever give them anything dissonant to chew on. They are pablum for authoritarians, which is why the righty versions are so much more lucrative than the lefty versions. The dolts on the right fall into authoritarianism the way the dolts on the left fall into nihilism. Nobody has figured out how to make the latter pay, unless it's the pushers.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X