X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POTUS 45.10 - Stage Two in Perpetuity

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    He's the President. He can declassify whatever he wants.
    "Declassify" is the wrong term.

Classified information that is leaked -- even it becomes public -- is still classified. What Trump did is not "illegal" because classification is a matter of authority descending from Executive Orders from the presidency itself. There is a semantic debate as to whether what Trump did can be called "improper." Propriety here is undefined.

But if for example somebody in the originating agency (NRO I guess?) were to today give the same information to say Iran, that would be a serious violation of rules governing classified data. The secret is still a secret even though it is, partially, out.

Now it is true that the president can declassify whatever he wants. Please give us the dirt on Area 51, Donald. And JFK. I'm kidding, we all know that was Allen Welsh Dulles. But to my knowledge Trump has not declassified anything.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2017, 08:51 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Very interesting foreign trip... http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...est-religions/

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        Dennis Kucinich is still around? I thought he'd been taken away by the UFO.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/1...h-says-hannity

He went on to say that there is a “high BS quotient” on claims made by anonymous sources in the Washington Post story.

Kucinich and Trump agreeing on something. The end is near.
        I wouldn't say the end is near, more that the force in-fighting has been exposed and the true battle lines have been shown.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Nice excuse.

"**** the country, it was legal."

Pathetic.

Leave it to repbulicans to find excuses that we can pass secretes to Russians. Especially a person like you who pointed out that Communism killed so very many people, the same leaders that the guy in charge of Russia can directly be traced to.

So communism is bad, because it killed people. but the former head of the KGB, who I'm sure had a lot of people killed in the name of Communism, who is now in charge if Russia- it's all of a sudden ok to pass very classified and sensitive information to him. The same guy who is friends with Iran- who wants to destroy us and Israel, and the same guy who is friends with Syria, who likes to kill his own people.

What in the world that used to be a secret can be "wholly appropriate" to pass on to them? The whole classification IS TO PROTECT INFORMATION FROM GETTING TO THOSE PEOPLE.

Really- how can you accept that?

Seriously- THAT is the issue with buddying up with Russia. These are the same thugs that ran the KGB, and is now in charge- do you really think they will work in our best interest? These are the same thugs that back Iran- who is getting nuclear information from someplace... These are the same thugs that support Syria, and have bombed innocent people by calling them terrorists- ignoring the actual ISIS threat.

This isn't Canada, who will more likely work with us. This is Russia, who is lead by people who spent most of their lives being our enemy.

Duh.
          In regards to communism, the real problem is the necessary destruction of the individual in favor of the collective. (Kep listed "communist" monks, but left out The Borg.) In my opinion that is evil. If I expressed that opinion in a communist country I would be subject to arrest and imprisonment. You can stop defending that ideology anytime now. Or not. Fortunately it's a free country.

In regards to what secret could be wholly appropriate to pass on to the Russians. Of course we don't know for sure, but it's been reported that the information was in relation to ISIS developing bombs disguised as laptops or other electronic devices. Since ISIS purportedly blew up Flight 9268 with 219 Russian civilians aboard about a year and a half ago, I can certainly see how sharing information about that so that the Russians can take precautions to protect their own citizens might well be deemed "wholly appropriate". You can't?
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
            Ohhhh, I see. Clinton would have been better served to publish her emails directly to wikileaks--that way, we'd know exactly what had been revealed. JFC, this has gotten ridiculous.
            No. Secretary Clinton would have been better served by better protecting any classified information in her possession. That's not rocket science, is it?
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Dennis Kucinich is still around? I thought he'd been taken away by the UFO.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/1...h-says-hannity

He went on to say that there is a “high BS quotient” on claims made by anonymous sources in the Washington Post story.

Kucinich and Trump agreeing on something. The end is near.
              Interesting...that seems in stark contrast to how he was talking on Bill Maher a couple weeks ago. He is as wishy washy as a Democrat
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                In regards to communism, the real problem is the necessary destruction of the individual in favor of the collective. (Kep listed "communist" monks, but left out The Borg.) In my opinion that is evil. If I expressed that opinion in a communist country I would be subject to arrest and imprisonment. You can stop defending that ideology anytime now. Or not. Fortunately it's a free country.
                I'm not defending communism, but you seem to blame communism for Putin being a thug in the KGB, and that is the key reason that the thugs killed people. We fought the USSR when it tried to take over territory, but now that they are not communist- it's ok that they do it? Give me a break.

Again, russia is led by people who were in the high rankings of the USSR. They STILL have nuclear weapons that can destroy us in an instant. They STILL kill people. They still take a dump over human rights.

And they still support countries who are our enemies. Or do you wish to just ignore that?

They are no different now not being "communist" than they were when it was.

So stop defending Russia. IMHO, that is as pathetic as it gets.

In regards to what secret could be wholly appropriate to pass on to the Russians. Of course we don't know for sure, but it's been reported that the information was in relation to ISIS developing bombs disguised as laptops or other electronic devices. Since ISIS purportedly blew up Flight 9268 with 219 Russian civilians aboard about a year and a half ago, I can certainly see how sharing information about that so that the Russians can take precautions to protect their own citizens might well be deemed "wholly appropriate". You can't?
                Ok. If you say so. If that's what it takes for your little mind to sleep at night, go for it. You are so afraid of the boogyman in people like Hillary Clinton that you miss the forest through the trees.

Russia is NOT our ally. They are not our friend. They support and defend people who clearly are our enemy.

don just hung out to dry our agents, probably other country agents agents, all in his self interest to brag about intel.

In other words, NO, I can't see ANY classified intel that should be passed to a country who supports our enemy. Who has been our enemy for almost 100 year.

How can you see that? Really.

Crimeny- you group of tools force the words "under God" in so many phrases just because of being afraid of communism, and now you think they are now ok, and friends?

Again, sad and pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Screw 2020, I want whatever it is, 890 or something extra people to show up in every Congressional district in 2018. Supposedly we need to win the net House vote by about 7% to take the majority. So win it by 15%. I don't want a 2-seat majority, I want a 50-seat majority.
                  This is about Trump...showing up for the midterms does zero to him.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

In regards to communism, the real problem is the necessary destruction of the individual in favor of the collective.
                    This is like arguing that religion is bad because it destroys the individual and leaves only the congregation.

A man is more than just his economic activity. Marxists and Austrians alike make the mistake that economics is fully deterministic of the human condition.

I have no problem with the idea that the people who work for the company should own the company. You can still preserve that idea and have a free market and every right in the Bill of Rights. The natural enemy of communism is not the free market, it's capitalism. A communist free market system would be a better hybrid than either system for everybody except, of course, the 1%. That is why our cultural norms have to work so hard to demonize communism. Those with the gold not only make the rules, they also make the ideas that the vast majority of people hold.

But like I said, the future won't be capitalist or communist or a hybrid, it will something we have no inkling of and will be long dead before it arrives. And the people under that system will be rock hard certain that it's the only logical and fair way to run things. That's how ideology works.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

In contrast, when you have classified information sitting around in the open and unprotected, no one knows who, when, what, or if any or all of that information has been compromised until long after the fact, if ever. That's an untenable position to find yourself in.
                      When did this happen exactly? I will hang up and listen...
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No. Secretary Clinton would have been better served by better protecting any classified information in her possession. That's not rocket science, is it?
                        Are you really this dense?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          If I was Dennis, I would live forever. (I once admitted to Dr. Mrs. that Elizabeth Kucinich was in my 5, and she said, "what, you don't think she's in mine?)
                          You guys are awesome.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

In contrast, when you have classified information sitting around in the open and unprotected, no one knows who, when, what, or if any or all of that information has been compromised until long after the fact, if ever. That's an untenable position to find yourself in.
                            A wise man once said, "A boat's just a boat, but a mystery box could be anything......it could even be a boat!"
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Nice excuse.

"**** the country, it was legal."

Pathetic.

Leave it to repbulicans to find excuses that we can pass secretes to Russians. Especially a person like you who pointed out that Communism killed so very many people, the same leaders that the guy in charge of Russia can directly be traced to.

So communism is bad, because it killed people. but the former head of the KGB, who I'm sure had a lot of people killed in the name of Communism, who is now in charge if Russia- it's all of a sudden ok to pass very classified and sensitive information to him. The same guy who is friends with Iran- who wants to destroy us and Israel, and the same guy who is friends with Syria, who likes to kill his own people.

What in the world that used to be a secret can be "wholly appropriate" to pass on to them? The whole classification IS TO PROTECT INFORMATION FROM GETTING TO THOSE PEOPLE.

Really- how can you accept that?

Seriously- THAT is the issue with buddying up with Russia. These are the same thugs that ran the KGB, and is now in charge- do you really think they will work in our best interest? These are the same thugs that back Iran- who is getting nuclear information from someplace... These are the same thugs that support Syria, and have bombed innocent people by calling them terrorists- ignoring the actual ISIS threat.

This isn't Canada, who will more likely work with us. This is Russia, who is lead by people who spent most of their lives being our enemy.

Duh.
                              It's just amazing the mental gymnastics some of the Trump supporters are resorting to now.

Comment

I'm not defending communism, but you seem to blame communism for Putin being a thug in the KGB, and that is the key reason that the thugs killed people. We fought the USSR when it tried to take over territory, but now that they are not communist- it's ok that they do it? Give me a break.

Again, russia is led by people who were in the high rankings of the USSR. They STILL have nuclear weapons that can destroy us in an instant. They STILL kill people. They still take a dump over human rights.

And they still support countries who are our enemies. Or do you wish to just ignore that?

They are no different now not being "communist" than they were when it was.

So stop defending Russia. IMHO, that is as pathetic as it gets.

Ok. If you say so. If that's what it takes for your little mind to sleep at night, go for it. You are so afraid of the boogyman in people like Hillary Clinton that you miss the forest through the trees.

Russia is NOT our ally. They are not our friend. They support and defend people who clearly are our enemy.

don just hung out to dry our agents, probably other country agents agents, all in his self interest to brag about intel.

In other words, NO, I can't see ANY classified intel that should be passed to a country who supports our enemy. Who has been our enemy for almost 100 year.

How can you see that? Really.

Crimeny- you group of tools force the words "under God" in so many phrases just because of being afraid of communism, and now you think they are now ok, and friends?

Again, sad and pathetic.
                                We disagree. That is completely fine.

Our interests conflict with Russia's on many fronts. They mesh in a couple of limited areas, for example, (oddly) the ISS and ISIS. That is quite different from being at war with Russia. (Unless you suggest we should declare war?) The highlighted statement strikes me as pure conjecture on your part, but I would be happy to entertain any evidence of that, if you wouldn't mind pointing to it.

I would maintain that if we knew of a terrorist bomb planted in the politburo through our intelligence gathering, it would be wrong and probably immoral to not warn the Russians. The US instituted a laptop ban in March. Europe has as well and I see Australia is probably too. I'm not sure how closely guarded a secret this all is. In any case, the choice of doing something toward potentially preventing the death of civilians doesn't really hinge on whether or not we are friends or enemies.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X