Just Because I'm Annoyed.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Because I'm Annoyed.......

Hey fellow posters....yes, I do know that money talks, and that for the NCAA, that is all that counts......but it burns my britches that we always hear about the cost of travelling when it comes to the playoffs and then I see the softball pairings for the 64 teams playoffs......http://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/ar...7-championship
    There is some serious travel time here, and I mean multiple, multiple times! Thanks for listening......that is all ☺

Re: Just Because I'm Annoyed.......

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    Hey fellow posters....yes, I do know that money talks, and that for the NCAA, that is all that counts......but it burns my britches that we always hear about the cost of travelling when it comes to the playoffs and then I see the softball pairings for the 64 teams playoffs......http://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/ar...7-championship
    There is some serious travel time here, and I mean multiple, multiple times! Thanks for listening......that is all ☺
    Do. Not. Get. Gopher. Fans. Started. About. the. Softball. Bracket.

Comment

You had to bring this up....it drives me crazy....and then it's double elimination....same for the boys tourney, a complete joke. Blah blah blah about travel costs and the poor student athletes and blah blah blah. The NC$$ just pizzes me off to no end with the hypocrisy. Mark Emmert made 1.9 million in 2014 bit he have to screw up bracket integrity to save a couple thousand bucks in flights. What a joke.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

😄😄 Sorry Eeyore, but at least The Gophers take the short trip to Al-a-bama! Truth is that will be a great semi there......it is a shame the hypocrisy because I love watching softball....🤙

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          Do. Not. Get. Gopher. Fans. Started. About. the. Softball. Bracket.
          lmaooooooooooooooooooo
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Gopher softball coaches, players and fans have good reason to complain. How does a team that goes 54-3 on the year - the best in the nation - that finished with a 25 game winning streak and having won both the Big Ten regular season and conference tournament championships, NOT get selected as one of the 16 seeds? Personally I think the Russians were behind it!

http://www.startribune.com/shocked-a...nub/422332623/
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I totally agree D2D........maybe next year petition to be in the sacred SEC and with those same stats you'll host every game!

Comment

I totally agree D2D........maybe next year petition to be in the sacred SEC and with those same stats you'll host every game!
                it made the Washington Post:
                http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  USA Today
                  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/ncaa...orida-rankings
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I can't promise to never say anything bad about the women's hockey selection committee ever again, but this debacle has at least taught me that they are far from the least competent committee.

1) The hockey committee is at least transparent. Not only does the softball committee never come out and say what the criteria are, they do their best to mislead. On May 4th, they released their second preliminary rankings of teams, which they said were based upon the criteria that they were going to use. Minnesota was at #7. Somehow, they mysteriously dropped to #17 over the next ten days, during which they went 6-0. In the statement the committee released on Monday, they said that those preliminary rankings were not a basis for the actual bracket, and that there were criteria that went into the latter that weren't used in the preliminary rankings.

2) As far as I can tell, the softball committee still hasn't realized the problem with RPI that causes a win against a bad team to lower the rating for a team. I'm pretty sure that the RPI that they use does not correct for this.

3) They still have their version of the TUC cliff, except it's even stupider. Much, much stupider. The number of wins against teams with top 25 RPIs is critically important for determining who will host a regional, though it's a lot less important for deciding who makes the tournament. In fact, it very much appears that if you don't have at least 4 wins against teams in the top 25, you will not be selected to host, no matter what the rest of your resume looks like. Minnesota fell victim to Illinois falling off the cliff and ending up at #27, where the Gophers' three wins against them did no good. Notice, though, that I said "wins," not "record" against the top 25. Losses are not deemed relevant. That's what makes it even dumber than the TUC cliff. This creates a huge bias in favor of teams that finish in the middle of the SEC, because they play so many in-conference games against top 25 teams that they'll manage to win at least four. The way that the committee looks at it, LSU's 6-16 record against teams in the top 25 is much more impressive than James Madison's 3-2, or Minnesota's 2-2, records. It's how you end up with 13 of the 16 hosts coming from two conferences.

4) When the hockey committee awards RPI bonuses for wins against top teams, it gives a bigger one for games on the road. The softball committee does no such thing, despite the fact that the (discredited) public statement about their process says that they do take it into account. This is a much bigger deal in softball than it is in hockey, because there's a huge disparity in the number of home games different teams play. Minnesota played 16 of its 57 games at home, including 0 of the 19 games they played against other teams in the tournament. Michigan and Washington played 18. Utah played 12. On the other hand, Alabama, the team that theoretically just beat out Minnesota for the last host seed (despite the fact that South Carolina and Kentucky were significantly less deserving by pretty much any measure) played 34 home games.

The whole thing was a bad joke. The coaching community did a fabulous, and needed, job of trolling the committee when they elevated Minnesota to the #1 spot in their last poll.

Comment

A few years ago in D3 hockey, Trinity was ranked #1 East in the last public ranking. One loss in the conference tournament was all it took to knock them out of the NCAAs.

Since then the committee publishes all the rankings and supporting data. However what they don't publish is HOW they reached their conclusions.
                      Last edited by joecct; 05-18-2017, 08:53 AM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I just watched the A-la-bama vs Minnesota pitching dual, which Bama won 1-0 in OT......a perfect example of how women's sports is different from men, is the way women DO NOT argue! The umpire screwed the Minnesota pitcher to give the walk to Bama bringing in the winning run....and not a word of anger nor sign of frustration by any of the Gopher players who continue to get screwed in this post season......maybe the coach would show being ****ed off or something......nothing! Show me a men's team that would simply walk off and accept the outcome with no protestations......🤔🤔🤔

Comment

I just watched the A-la-bama vs Minnesota pitching dual, which Bama won 1-0 in OT......a perfect example of how women's sports is different from men, is the way women DO NOT argue! The umpire screwed the Minnesota pitcher to give the walk to Bama bringing in the winning run....and not a word of anger nor sign of frustration by any of the Gopher players who continue to get screwed in this post season......maybe the coach would show being ****ed off or something......nothing! Show me a men's team that would simply walk off and accept the outcome with no protestations......������
                          I was more frustrated with the hit batsman that wasn't two batters earlier in that inning, especially given the non-hit batsman that was earlier in the game. The umpiring was appalling, as has done nothing to improve feelings around here as to how this tournament has played out.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            A few years ago in D3 hockey, Trinity was ranked #1 East in the last public ranking. One loss in the conference tournament was all it took to knock them out of the NCAAs.

Since then the committee publishes all the rankings and supporting data. However what they don't publish is HOW they reached their conclusions.
                            A couple weeks earlier the NC$$ posted their current rankings and MN was at 7. They then went 6-0 and dropped out of the top 16. It would be funny if it didn't hurt deserving players.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              I was more frustrated with the hit batsman that wasn't two batters earlier in that inning, especially given the non-hit batsman that was earlier in the game. The umpiring was appalling, as has done nothing to improve feelings around here as to how this tournament has played out.
                              Softball at every level I have watched, from U10 to D1 stinks. The worst of any sport at a comparable level. This weekend was about average with really bad calls all around.

Comment

Working...
                              X