X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change high schools or not?

Originally posted by Minne.Hockey.Dad View Post
    I have no doubt in her abilities as a hockey player
    Then let her prove herself in the several weeks of USA Hockey U18 tryouts.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
      Then let her prove herself in the several weeks of USA Hockey U18 tryouts.
      Sorry not that level of hockey. It is ccm high performance hockey summer camp with USA hockey. She is not at that age level yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get her into tournaments like The Beantown Classic (a couple of really good Minnesota teams already go).

Have HER contact coaches of schools she may be interested in. Despite a previous poster's thoughts, a youtube channel helped for my daughter. Have her send an introductory email to the university coaches with her bio, upcoming schedule and link to her youtube channel.

At tournaments have her approach any coaches she sees, whether it's a school she's targeting or not. It'll give her experience in talking to coaches and.....coaches talk to each other, so if she presents well to one coach and another asks about her then it's a positive for her.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
          Get her into tournaments like The Beantown Classic (a couple of really good Minnesota teams already go).

Have HER contact coaches of schools she may be interested in. Despite a previous poster's thoughts, a youtube channel helped for my daughter. Have her send an introductory email to the university coaches with her bio, upcoming schedule and link to her youtube channel.

At tournaments have her approach any coaches she sees, whether it's a school she's targeting or not. It'll give her experience in talking to coaches and.....coaches talk to each other, so if she presents well to one coach and another asks about her then it's a positive for her.
          Good advice. Only the second player I've ever heard of that used a video/youtube with any success. First was in remote location (Alaska) which makes more sense. Was your daughter geogrpahically challenged?

Comment

Sorry not that level of hockey. It is ccm high performance hockey summer camp with USA hockey. She is not at that age level yet.
            I was referring to all the U15 to U18 USA Hockey summer camps (Maine or St. Cloud) and the process that leads up to those camps.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post

Yes our team is playing in the Beantown classic this year. Great advice thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                I was referring to all the U15 to U18 USA Hockey summer camps (Maine or St. Cloud) and the process that leads up to those camps.
                She is in the U14 camp they do not have a chance to advance to the national camp this year. That would be as you stated U15-U18

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                  Good advice. Only the second player I've ever heard of that used a video/youtube with any success. First was in remote location (Alaska) which makes more sense. Was your daughter geogrpahically challenged?
                  Only if you consider The Toronto area 'challenged'.

She played on a lower end team and although she got seen live we did notice that the YouTube views would go up after sending out emails to coaches. Not sure whether it helped a lot, a little or not at all but it's so easy to set up that it certainly can't hurt

Comment

That of course is our biggest hang up. We would never get those years back.

That is a huge reason, missing your daughter growing up. The money you save by her staying home, can send her to a lot of universities. If she is good enough they will find her. You live in Minnesota, all the D1 schools scout there and she will get lots of opportunities to be seen. I wouldn't have missed driving my daughter 1hr each way 3-4 nights a week for hockey for anything in the world. I miss it now, dad daughter time. If she belongs in D1 when the time comes, someone will find her. Bottom line at the end of her university career, she better have a good education.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicstew View Post
                      Bottom line at the end of her university career, she better have a good education.
                      One addition: Choosing the right major and getting grades that stand out will make all the difference, no matter which college she attends, hockey or not.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

As a dad that has recently dealt with this issue I completely understand your dilemma. Looking back on it, those 45 minutes drives to and from practice multiple times per week were a great source of dad-daughter time. For my family though, what it came down to was doing everything we could to allow our daughter to chase her dreams (dreams of playing D1 hockey in college). So, we sacrificed and she sacrificed. She went away first to Canada and then in the US for her 10th, 11th and 12th grade years. It was difficult but worked out in the end and she's stronger for it.

In the end, you can take others opinions into account but no one really knows all of your circumstances; financial, how mature your daughter is, how good your daughter is, how much increased exposure will she get my going elsewhere, how big of a sacrifice is your family willing to endure, how bad does she want it, how good of a student is she, etc. The fact that you are starting in Minnesota HS hockey already makes your situation different than mine. I would think that any HS hockey in Minnesota would offer lots of exposure and that the "if you're good enough, they will find you" line of thinking would definitely apply. Plus, if your daughter is going to St. Cloud each year she'll be seen there as well.

Boys seem to leave for prep school all the time and then many delay college by up to 2 years chasing the junior hockey dreams. Don't be afraid to let your daughters chase their dreams too!

Best of luck in your decision and your daughter's future!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydad23 View Post
                          As a dad that has recently dealt with this issue I completely understand your dilemma. Looking back on it, those 45 minutes drives to and from practice multiple times per week were a great source of dad-daughter time. For my family though, what it came down to was doing everything we could to allow our daughter to chase her dreams (dreams of playing D1 hockey in college). So, we sacrificed and she sacrificed. She went away first to Canada and then in the US for her 10th, 11th and 12th grade years. It was difficult but worked out in the end and she's stronger for it.

In the end, you can take others opinions into account but no one really knows all of your circumstances; financial, how mature your daughter is, how good your daughter is, how much increased exposure will she get my going elsewhere, how big of a sacrifice is your family willing to endure, how bad does she want it, how good of a student is she, etc. The fact that you are starting in Minnesota HS hockey already makes your situation different than mine. I would think that any HS hockey in Minnesota would offer lots of exposure and that the "if you're good enough, they will find you" line of thinking would definitely apply. Plus, if your daughter is going to St. Cloud each year she'll be seen there as well.

Boys seem to leave for prep school all the time and then many delay college by up to 2 years chasing the junior hockey dreams. Don't be afraid to let your daughters chase their dreams too!

Best of luck in your decision and your daughter's future!!!

Agree completely. I will add that most prep schools are pretty good at managing "down time". House parents controlled my daughter's moves to the point where she felt like she was in a prison (her words not mine!). As a parent that was nice to hear. However, she only went away for her last year of high school, not 10, 11 and 12. She ended up playing D3 and loves it. But as you said about your daughter: it was her dream and she recognized the sacrifices she had to make. It has to be initiated by her.

Good Luck!

Comment

Based on what I know now, help your daughter get excellent grades and spend money on an ACT tutor. If it's a scholarship you're looking at, there is a lot of money available for straight A students with 35 ACTs at schools who play hockey. The academic scholarship we got is worth more than some D1 full-boat scholarships.

Depending on what the dream is (Olympics, D1 Scholarship Money, Just want to play hockey after HS) might give you different answers. Nobody can tell you how much you'll miss your daughter if she's not coming home after school.

Your post sounds like your option could be BSM (good school, new staff). If you have questions about that school DM me.

Comment

Thank you all for your opinions and advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X