X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep retirement lodge CC - greetings from heathrow

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    You might exchange some carrying around money. But as I recall credit works fine.
    The Visa we have to use charges a fee that turns out to be fairly high so we will prob need some cash or get slapped for using it for small purchases. Been doing a bit of research this AM- Looks like if you go to smaller places the exchange they give you isn't as good as if you change at a bank. Trying to figure out if it is better to exchange via ATM or just get a chunk before we go.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      The Visa we have to use charges a fee that turns out to be fairly high so we will prob need some cash or get slapped for using it for small purchases. Been doing a bit of research this AM- Looks like if you go to smaller places the exchange they give you isn't as good as if you change at a bank. Trying to figure out if it is better to exchange via ATM or just get a chunk before we go.
      If you're going to do a lot of international travel, I'd highly suggest finding a new credit card that has better exchange fees. Visa charges a fee, and issuing banks will charge them too, but Visa's fees are really small ever since they lost a class action lawsuit some numbers of years ago. That means many banks have started following suit as a matter of attracting customers.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Morning, Lodge. First day of vacation from work. Naturally, I was up at 2:54 in the morning, so at least it will be a productive day. Have already gone out for bagel and coffee, watched my 1 hour of trashy tv, meal planned for the week, done a load of dishes, set out my chore list, set out my errands list, am on the second rise for a loaf of bread, watered and trimmed the basil and cilantro on the porch, and emailed work peeps about a few outstanding things. All before 9am. I predict crashing on the couch after I go out to lunch with MIL at 1pm.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
          Morning, Lodge. First day of vacation from work. Naturally, I was up at 2:54 in the morning, so at least it will be a productive day. Have already gone out for bagel and coffee, watched my 1 hour of trashy tv, meal planned for the week, done a load of dishes, set out my chore list, set out my errands list, am on the second rise for a loaf of bread, watered and trimmed the basil and cilantro on the porch, and emailed work peeps about a few outstanding things. All before 9am. I predict crashing on the couch after I go out to lunch with MIL at 1pm.
          Was up at somewhere pre-6ish but refused to open my eyes until about about quarter past. Gave up after I started steaming about something political I saw last night. Not productive. Came down, emailed about the $ thing, folded a bit of laundry, went into the garden- deadheaded, weeded a bit, picked a huge bouquet of flowers. Pausing before arranging said flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Was up at somewhere pre-6ish but refused to open my eyes until about about quarter past. Gave up after I started steaming about something political I saw last night. Not productive. Came down, emailed about the $ thing, folded a bit of laundry, went into the garden- deadheaded, weeded a bit, picked a huge bouquet of flowers. Pausing before arranging said flowers.
            Steaming about politics is at least more practical than what kept me awake this morning. Had a dream they put a Long John Silvers near work, I went and ordered 3 piece chicken planks and what I got back was 3 puny chicken nuggets. Not the delicious crunchy breading of LJS, but crappy Wendy's like nuggets. I haven't had LJS in years, and this dream was devastating.

I spent last night digging a hole in the yard while the husband was out playing Pokemon Go and drinking with his buddy. I'm hoping to get enough work put in towards building the shed this weekend, that I can leave Saturday afternoon to play trivia. My trivia team is in the finals and there is big prize money if we win.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Good morning Lodge. Off today's. waiting for delivery of my new bed! Hoping it will make a difference for my neck/back issues. My mattress is 12+years old, so it was time anyway.

Tonight is the Comm Ave Classic. BU and BC alums playing a charity hockey game at BU's Walter Brown Arena, where the Terriers used to play. Started out as a benefit for ALS Cares, for Pete Frates, but last year's game, they also added on the Travis Roy Foundation. It's fun to have a game like this in July. It's actually almost hockey-like weather today. Could set a record low temperature for this date. Should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                If you're going to do a lot of international travel, I'd highly suggest finding a new credit card that has better exchange fees. Visa charges a fee, and issuing banks will charge them too, but Visa's fees are really small ever since they lost a class action lawsuit some numbers of years ago. That means many banks have started following suit as a matter of attracting customers.
                Capital One Venture has no exchange fees.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  Steaming about politics is at least more practical than what kept me awake this morning. Had a dream they put a Long John Silvers near work, I went and ordered 3 piece chicken planks and what I got back was 3 puny chicken nuggets. Not the delicious crunchy breading of LJS, but crappy Wendy's like nuggets. I haven't had LJS in years, and this dream was devastating.

I spent last night digging a hole in the yard while the husband was out playing Pokemon Go and drinking with his buddy.
                  I'm hoping to get enough work put in towards building the shed this weekend, that I can leave Saturday afternoon to play trivia. My trivia team is in the finals and there is big prize money if we win.
                  I read this and expected the next line to be so you could bury him when he got home. Heh.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Thanks everyone! Comments have been helpful. Also realized my bro lives fairly close to the boarder and duh!! I should ask him. He had a bunch of little tips on how to deal as they cross over all the time.

Comment

bigger name places will list the rate they are paying for usd, so you can check there. one can also haggle/negotiate. some banks won't change for you unless you are a customer, so be prepared to try another. when you called your credit card company and told them you were traveling (les DID do that, no? ), that would have been the time to tell them you want fees waived, lowered, etc. they are able to adjust and upgrade your card since you IS a customer and have options. give 'em hell!!! les would be a great ball buster, no?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      what's in yer wallet?
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        bigger name places will list the rate they are paying for usd, so you can check there. one can also haggle/negotiate. some banks won't change for you unless you are a customer, so be prepared to try another. when you called your credit card company and told them you were traveling (les DID do that, no? ), that would have been the time to tell them you want fees waived, lowered, etc. they are able to adjust and upgrade your card since you IS a customer and have options. give 'em hell!!! les would be a great ball buster, no?
                        Yes. I will put mr les on it! (the calling to wave fees, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          what's in yer wallet?
                          Capital One Venture
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Les, when I used to live back home (NY), there were money exchange places just as soon as we crossed the border into Ontario. If you haven't looked, current rate is $1 USD to about $1.28 CAD, probably slightly less at an exchange.

I would guess that while stores will likely accept USD, it's probably 1:1, so I wouldn't advise that.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Tonight is the Comm Ave Classic. BU and BC alums playing a charity hockey game at BU's Walter Brown Arena, where the Terriers used to play. Started out as a benefit for ALS Cares, for Pete Frates, but last year's game, they also added on the Travis Roy Foundation. It's fun to have a game like this in July. It's actually almost hockey-like weather today. Could set a record low temperature for this date. Should be fun!
                              Sorry to quote myself here but I felt it important enough to let everyone know that Freddy Meyer will be playing in this game tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Sorry to quote myself here but I felt it important enough to let everyone know that Freddy Meyer will be hacking in this game tonight.
                                Ftfy.

Comment

Working...
                                X