X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New arena for Ohio State?

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Great job compiling the numbers.

Just one little quibble with the analysis. It's not self evident that great reliance on hockey revenue is a good thing for ticket buyers, among others. I have several MN based friends who complain quite bitterly about the high cost of Gopher Hockey tickets. But down here in the "last" position, the affordability of hockey tickets at OSU something of a selling point -- especially when compared to the NHL prices charged by the CBJ.

All I'm saying that "best" and "last" aren't really the right labels. Being at either end of the spectrum is a mixed blessing.

Connecting this with the original topic: It's not hard to imagine that a new, appropriately sized building at OSU might result in higher ticket prices. Perhaps fewer comp tickets as well. Even with the smaller capacity, OSU might very well move "up" in the rankings. This would be yet another mixed blessing; just a different mix.
    I was just comparing what percentage of each school's total ticket sales was from men's ice hockey. A more in-depth analysis would require looking at the 18 categories the NCAA currently breaks revenue into. However, I've also looked at how much each D! school depends on ticket sales to fund their men's hockey team:
    school - 7 year average of hockey ticket sales as a % of total hockey revenue
    UND - 84.6%
    Minn - 81.3%
    UMass - 77.6%
    Mich - 66.1%
    UNH - 61.3%
    UNO - 60.0%
    UConn - 52.8%
    OSU - 51.6%
    UW - 44.6%
    MSU - 43/7%
    BGSU - 42.8%
    UVVM - 42.0%
    Maine - 39.9%
    PSU - 36.3% (4 years)
    WMU - 35.9%
    Miami - 24.3%
    UML - 22.5%
    ASU - 9.7% (1 year)

Looked at this way OSU limiting the arena to 4,000 could well impact the amount of revenue from ticket sales at current prices. As for those prices, attendance figures divided by ticket sales figures for 2010-16 show OSU has the 2nd lowest average cost per attendee:
    school - 7 year average of hockey ticket price per attendee
    Minn - $26.01
    ASU - $18.42 (1 year)
    Mich - $16.85
    UVM - $16.29
    PSU - $14.89 (4 years)
    UNH - $14.35
    UND - $14.03
    UNO - $12.88
    Maine - $12.28
    UW - $11.85
    Miami - $10.86
    MSU - $9.76
    UConn - $6.97
    UML - $4.97
    WMU - $4.91
    UMass - $4.69
    OSU - $4.55
    BGSU - $4.39

I agree that a 4,000 capacity arena will very likely raise the average cost per attendee and could also limit the number of students who can get tickets.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Looks like the plans at OSU may be part of a huge rethink of their athletics setup. St John Arena is going to get a date with the wrecking ball to get it rolling.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...letic-district

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        Looks like the plans at OSU may be part of a huge rethink of their athletics setup. St John Arena is going to get a date with the wrecking ball to get it rolling.
        St John and the wrecking ball have a date after all the other facilities are complete - not to get the 'ball rolling'. The a/c, heating, and electrical of St John are interconnected with the OSU Ice Rink and the French Field house. All of the sports in those buildings need a new and functioning home before St John could be demolished. the ice arena is the practice rink for men's hockey and is also the game venue for women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
          Keep in mind, the Schott will still exist and will presumably still be able to host hockey as necessary. It would certainly be an odd arrangement, having two how arenas, but it would work.
          The Schott will still exist, but I have read nothing indicating that there will still be a sheet of ice maintained in the Schott once the new arena is built. Would be tough to hold the bigger games in the Schott if there isn't a sheet of ice in the Schott.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            The Schott will still exist, but I have read nothing indicating that there will still be a sheet of ice maintained in the Schott once the new arena is built. Would be tough to hold the bigger games in the Schott if there isn't a sheet of ice in the Schott.
            Don't forget that tOSU serves as the booking agent for Nationwide Arena. I suspect that games would be moved there instead of the Schott.

And while we are "near" the subject what is going to happen now that the B1G tourney is an on-campus affair. Does OSU lose its home rink again to high school sports (three weekends worth) when there is a conflict. I for one will be delighted to get out the Schott just for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
              Don't forget that tOSU serves as the booking agent for Nationwide Arena. I suspect that games would be moved there instead of the Schott.

And while we are "near" the subject what is going to happen now that the B1G tourney is an on-campus affair. Does OSU lose its home rink again to high school sports (three weekends worth) when there is a conflict. I for one will be delighted to get out the Schott just for this reason.
              Yeah, that will be an interesting question come next March. I sincerely hope the athletic department has thought this through and has a plan in place. It would be a major black eye (embarrassment) for tOSU if Ohio State hosted BIG Ten Tournament Playoff games at the OSU Ice Rink, as was the case last time they hosted a playoff series (vs Ferris State, CCHA Playoffs, 2013). I've never understood why wrestling and girls basketball couldn't be held at St. John Arena. What about the OHSAA Boys Basketball Tournament? Do those games actually sell out? Do they need 19,000+ seats for those games? If not, those games could be held in St. John Arena as well, at least until it is torn down.

Comment

Working...
              X