Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 1003

Thread: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

  1. #941
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    11,734

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The people who will invent the next useful and productive economic system have probably not yet been born, and when they are they will probably come from places so peripheral we in the dogmatic part of the world will never even see them coming until they have laid us to rest.
    The people who "invented" "capitalism" didn't realize what they'd done.
    And those who put them to rest probably didn't know fully what had been done yet either.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  2. #942

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    20,561
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    "Look at the way I've been treated lately, especially by the media, no politician in history has been treated worse or more unfairly..."
    Garfield, McKinley, Lincoln, JFK, Guillermo Gaviria Correa, Patrice Lumumba, Julius Caesar, Nelson Mandella...

    Nope. Never in the history of the world has a politician ever been treated worse or more unfairly than President Trump.

  3. #943

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    51,573

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    And weren't they espousing socialism rather than communism? They wanted people to go out, earn whatever they were able, but then willingly share with their neighbors in the bonds of Christendom and God, if I understand correctly. That's not the same as communism, which is a forced system.
    No, you're ascribing later concepts to earlier people. Just as we would not compute to them, they do not compute using our concepts. They simply didn't think in the same terms we take for granted. The ideological superstructure of the current era that loads economic terminology with moral content would have struck them to be as meaningless as their endless arguments over angels on the head of a pin* strike us. It's not "wrong," it's just {null}. The Next Thing is Outside of our mindset, and a mindset refuses to acknowledge it has any Outside. The future must always be in the blind spot, otherwise it's just a prolonging of the present.

    The best text I have read for trying to crawl inside the monastic / medieval mind is "The Discarded Image" by C. S. Lewis. It is the only time I have felt for brief instants that I could carry the thought of another age in my head.


    * I am citing the common knowledge concept of this argument. In reality, the "angels on the head of a pin" argument is an incredibly interesting and relevant argument about nominalism and universals. It poses the question of whether existence implies spacial extension, and whether two things not occupying the same time and space can ever be said to be the "same" thing. It's one of the coolest ideas to come out of the Middle Ages, a period that is replete with cool ideas.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  4. #944
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,687
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The bolded may be one of the scarier aspects of this and it's missed.
    He either "blind squirrelled" this or he orchestrated it to troll the media (and keep them in a lather).
    And sycophants like yourself buy into the notion that because what he did was technically legal no one should be ****ed off about it.
    Last edited by unofan; 05-17-2017 at 12:55 PM.

  5. #945
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    20,946

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The full quote, just in case you're interested.


    - Unfairly. Check.
    - I won. Check.
    He's got that punch list speech done.
    I hope that gets glued to his cell wall in Leavenworth.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  6. #946
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    33,073

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I would counter that over the course of history, we've yet to see a communist government that has been able to divorce itself from a dictatorial form of enforcement that has oppressed its people, and in most cases killed their dissenters en masse. So when opposition to the Communist supporters bring up what we've seen throughout the world it only makes sense.

    In fact, I do believe that the only nations who are still communist in name, and haven't yet crumbled, have opened up their economies to at least some free market forces but simply maintain the Communist title when they should truly be considered at most to be socialists at this point in time.
    Yeah...still doesnt make Communism evil. (that proves people are evil)

    Christians have killed way more than Communists over the centuries (in the name of God or Country) so are Christians then evil? If yes then I accept your point. If you cant say yes then your whole argument holds no water.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  7. #947
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,146

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Yeah...still doesnt make Communism evil. (that proves people are evil)

    Christians have killed way more than Communists over the centuries (in the name of God or Country) so are Christians then evil? If yes then I accept your point. If you cant say yes then your whole argument holds no water.
    You're asking an atheist if Christians are evil. Just saying.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  8. #948

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    51,573

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The people who "invented" "capitalism" didn't realize what they'd done.
    And those who put them to rest probably didn't know fully what had been done yet either.
    Nobody has put capitalism to rest yet. It's alive and, well, it's alive...

    The people who create the next system won't really realize what they're doing -- they're just going to do what makes sense at the time and it will work and, holy sh-t, this New Thing works!

    The people who perform the coup de grace to the old system know it all too well, because along the way there is often social exclusion if not actual punishment. The Monkey People do not like their norms being violated.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  9. #949
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    33,073

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    You're asking an atheist if Christians are evil. Just saying.
    I know...partly why I did it
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  10. #950

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,048
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Garfield, McKinley, Lincoln, JFK, Guillermo Gaviria Correa, Patrice Lumumba, Julius Caesar, Nelson Mandella...

    Nope. Never in the history of the world has a politician ever been treated worse or more unfairly than President Trump.
    tD has a point, though. The left is gunning for a coup d'etat.

    Andrew Johnson comes to mind as the closest sitting president.

  11. #951
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    22,636

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    In the media's defense. Donald is a poorly spoken buffoon, who only makes policy based on personal (and friends) profit.

    He has earned his poor treatment.

  12. #952

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    51,573

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    You're asking an atheist if Christians are evil. Just saying.
    Which is, of course, as silly as the converse.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  13. #953

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    51,573

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    tD has a point, though. The left is gunning for a coup d'etat.

    Andrew Johnson comes to mind as the closest sitting president.
    It's not a coup d'etat if you impeach a president. We aren't a godd-mn elective monarchy. If Trump broke the rules he will be "tried" by Congress and removed. That's in the Constitution. If you follow the Constitution you're following the rule of the land, and in fact if you refused to remove him that would be a coup.

    BTW, when I gave the scenario for President Schumer yesterday I was wrong. I should have said Pelosi (House post 2018 hopefully) not Schumer (Senate post 2018 hopefully).

    However, here's something to consider. If the House and Senate need to confirm a new Veep, then it would be entirely possible for a 2019 Dem Congress to impeach both Pence and Trump and thus effect a change of party in the White House. I'll go on record right now as saying I completely oppose ever doing this. It would be Constitutional (the Constitution never mentions party and the Founders loathed parties) but it would not be in the spirit of our government. If I got a vote on say the House floor for impeaching Pence knowing it would transfer control of the White House from an R to a D, I would vote Nay.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  14. #954
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,487

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    So getting back to the original reason this was brought up, do you personally think someone who chooses to identify with the Communist party is an inherently bad person? I'm assuming you would think so of someone who chooses to identify with the KKK.
    And when asking that question, what is the stated goal for that party?

    The Communist Party wants to be communist- where everyone is equal, and everything is equally owned.

    The KKK want's to separate the white race from everyone else, and killing can be part of that.

    Forgive me for noting that one isn't the same as the other.

  15. #955
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    11,734

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    And sycophants like yourself buy into the notion that because what he did was technically legal no one should be ****ed off about it.
    I'm not happy; I am frustrated; however, this is not an impeachable offense.

    The blind squirrel wins.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  16. #956
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    20,946

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    tD has a point, though. The left is gunning for a coup d'etat.

    Andrew Johnson comes to mind as the closest sitting president.
    My sarcasm detector is broken. Please tell me this is a joke.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  17. #957
    Inspired by Actual Events
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    da tech
    Posts
    5,514

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    So getting back to the original reason this was brought up, do you personally think someone who chooses to identify with the Communist party is an inherently bad person? I'm assuming you would think so of someone who chooses to identify with the KKK.
    I'm a Lutheran. We're all inherently bad people who are well-meaning and striving to do what's right.
    Seriously though. Nobody is "better" than anyone else, whatever stupid choices we make or evil we commit or how many lives we save. It's all circumstantial.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

  18. #958
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    11,734

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I hope that gets glued to his cell wall in Leavenworth.
    I'll take as much action as you're willing to put down as to Trump ever being an inmate in Leavenworth. (I'll do the same for Obama.)
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  19. #959
    Inspired by Actual Events
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    da tech
    Posts
    5,514

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    The Communist Party wants to be communist- where everyone is equal, and everything is equally owned.
    That's the scarlet lipstick on a killer zombie pig. Look into it.
    It's like when dudes say they're flying the stars & bars to celebrate "historical heritage" or "states' rights." Well, yeah, but you've got a lot of baggage trailing along with that high-minded talking point.
    Last edited by geezer; 05-17-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

  20. #960
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    11,734

    Re: POTUS 45.09: How do I hate thee? Let me count the posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Nobody has put capitalism to rest yet. It's alive and, well, it's alive...

    The people who create the next system won't really realize what they're doing -- they're just going to do what makes sense at the time and it will work and, holy sh-t, this New Thing works!

    The people who perform the coup de grace to the old system know it all too well, because along the way there is often social exclusion if not actual punishment. The Monkey People do not like their norms being violated.
    I'd like to posit BitCoin is the genetic mutation to capitalism that may be the next thing, or the origin of it, but, we'll be dead before we'll know. Then again, BitCoin is just another way to maneuver about in capitalism.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •