Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
    Preseason takes

Anyone want to take a crack at where the Nanooks are going to finish? Mine is... and to state the obvious.. comes down to goaltending. If Martinsson or DellaMaggiore or the combination of both is above average, the team will be in the middle of the pack. I think we're solid on the blueline and have some scoring pop with our forwards. It will definitely be wins by committee. Of course, any freshmen contributions (like Van Tetering was) is a plus.
    Below us, hopefully.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

I usually post a little worksheet with some basic info before the season begins. I’m still waiting for about three teams to publish 2017-18 rosters before I finish that worksheet.

But here are few other worksheets with data to think about.

Alaska Roster
      Here is what I think we are looking at. We had a solid team last year with mostly underclassmen. We will add 4 freshman forwards but no freshmen defensemen. Anxious to see Marino, who practiced but had to sit out last year. Also curious to see Froese back on defense after sitting out a couple of years with recurring injuries. He was just as talented as Frye as a freshman.

I believe we have lost freshman forward recruit Jimmy Lambert and freshman goaltender recruit Mitch Benson with the coaching change. No announcements from the U, but both are listed back on their previous jr. rosters now.

Goaltending will be the big question mark. Martinsson practiced last year with the team but was not eligible to play the first half. I hear good things. To bad we lost recruit Benson, who would have battled Martinsson for playing time. Not sure if this is our final roster, but it’s what I think we have today.

We were close to a home playoff spot last year, and should be better this year (imho). We will still rely on scoring by committee and solid defense.

Go Nooks!

Comment

When we look back at the previous year it’s not hard to see why everyone finished where they did. Obviously the GF/GA tell the story, but like most everyone knows, special teams and goaltending is where you win and lose games.

Some teams lost a fair amount in senior scoring, some not so much (a few adjustments here based of other losses if I happened to read about them). Interesting to see how underclassmen performed last year and if maybe that bodes well for the coming year.

Comment

Another consideration, but not too important is who you play in conference x4. Good teams win no matter who they play or if home/away. But based on where teams finished last year (rank x # games to be played), here is what the conference strength of schedule looks like. Take with a grain of salt, because it is somewhat a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But it looks like LSSU, NMU, and UAH may have the tougher schedules, and BSU, MSU, MTU the easier road.

Comment

And since we all know how important the “polls” are…

Highlighted cells are +/- 3 or more spots

Comment

Speaking of special teams, Nooks HAVE TO cut down on PIMs significantly. Led the league last year. That crap has to stop. Too many dumb ones!

Comment

Speaking of special teams, Nooks HAVE TO cut down on PIMs significantly. Led the league last year. That crap has to stop. Too many dumb ones!
                Well, Erickson did graduate!
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  And since we all know how important the “polls” are…

Highlighted cells are +/- 3 or more spots

As the person who will be running the WCHA media poll this year, my feelings are hurt!

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    Well, Erickson did graduate!
                    enough said

Comment

I'm sure we had more than our fair share of 10 min misconducts, but our total minutes are a bit inflated with a couple of game ending donny-brooks that didn't put us a man down during game play. We had 46 pm in one game against BGSU and 78 pm in one game against LSSU. It's not a coincidence that both those teams were right up there in pm. Frye (30 for 71 pm) gave Erickson (30 for 79 pm) a good run for his money for time in the box. We do need to be more disciplined. The best way to stop an opponents pp is to not give them chances.

Comment

Agreed. Discipline over emotion. Tough to win games if you're killing penalties especially in the 3rd.

Comment

I keep hearing that Anton Martinsson is the real deal. Should be interesting if so...we haven't had a workhorse shutdown goalie since Chad Johnson and Scott Greenham were around. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Ya I heard he is one of the hardest workers in practice. In fact, watched him a few times in the NAHL and when he's on ... he's very good. (I suppose you can say that about all goalies) The key will be consistency. And when he's not at the top of his game that night, can the team provide additional support such as blocking shots, moving their feet, etc.

Comment

Two new adds....

Lincoln Nguyen Assistant Coach. Heard good things. Very positive. Looks like a nice addition

Tony Rehm Goalie http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=305345

Comment

Blue-Gold game is tomorrow. Everybody wins!

Comment

Working...
                                X