Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Where are they going to walk-on this late in the game? .....show me 1 player with a backup plan other than Mom’s basement.
    Anyone that would transfer, could do so and get the year they'd have to sit out of the way this year. If they were to wait for the end of the fall semester, they'd effectively burn two years of eligibility to play one. There is also the question of verbal recruiting commitments de-committing.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Class act all the way. One of the best guys in the game.
      Yes he is.I loved to watch him skate...for the Aces. Good luck Dallas in the WHL.
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Anyone that would transfer, could do so and get the year they'd have to sit out of the way this year. If they were to wait for the end of the fall semester, they'd effectively burn two years of eligibility to play one. There is also the question of verbal recruiting commitments de-committing.
        Mom better be a Player Agent like LaVar Ball to deal with the paperwork, NCAA, coaches, and AD"s
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
          Yes he is.I loved to watch him skate...for the Aces. Good luck Dallas in the WHL.
          So in one thread you're calling him a cheater and in this one you're praising him and agreeing that he's a class act. Are you some sort of politician?
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

So in one thread you're calling him a cheater and in this one you're praising him and agreeing that he's a class act. Are you some sort of politician?
            Don't underestimate how much real estate Ferg owns in AH's head.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              I hope this isn't a sign that he feels the hockey programs are in danger. Someone I know spoke with Dallas just a couple months ago and Dallas told them he wasn't concerned at all about hockey going away. It's just very odd that he is leaving so soon before the start of the season. As a UAA fan, I am hoping your next coach isn't as good as Dallas was.
              Thomas was very confident in a KTBY interview that UAA hockey isn't going anywhere. Plus our state budget was "fixed" again this fiscal year.
              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Hockey isn't going anywhere at either school. It's plausible that UAA drops a couple of sports, but I highly doubt hockey would be one of them. UAF hockey certainly isn't going anywhere.

That said, Dallas leaves at an interesting juncture. The team is slated to return in 16 days from today to begin strength and conditioning training. According to the Nanooks' press release, Ferg will still be with the team through August 17th. That's fortunate to help the team transition to whomever is going to be assuming head coaching duties. One could assume Lance West, maybe he's a good fit, I really don't know. I feel the team is on the brink competitively of being a top of the league team (and that's not just me saying that) pending the outlook of the goaltending situation with Jenks leaving and Davis graduating and rookie scoring.
                Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                  Thomas was very confident in a KTBY interview that UAA hockey isn't going anywhere. Plus our state budget was "fixed" again this fiscal year.
                  "Fixed" is a relative term, of course. I believe UAA hockey was in much greater danger of elimination than UAF hockey ever was, and I'm glad it has pulled trough.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
                    Hockey isn't going anywhere at either school. It's plausible that UAA drops a couple of sports, but I highly doubt hockey would be one of them. UAF hockey certainly isn't going anywhere.

That said, Dallas leaves at an interesting juncture. The team is slated to return in 16 days from today to begin strength and conditioning training. According to the Nanooks' press release, Ferg will still be with the team through August 17th. That's fortunate to help the team transition to whomever is going to be assuming head coaching duties. One could assume Lance West, maybe he's a good fit, I really don't know. I feel the team is on the brink competitively of being a top of the league team (and that's not just me saying that) pending the outlook of the goaltending situation with Jenks leaving and Davis graduating and rookie scoring.
                    The timing is bad, but it sounds like this all happened within the last two weeks, not something that had been in the works for months. Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot. The fact that he gave six weeks notice to help with a transition speaks volumes, IMO. He could have just as easily been gone on Monday, and most other coaches would have done just that.

The UAF press release says Gray has already met with both assistants. I'd be a bit surprised if we get through this week with no announcement about an interim (agree with you and others that Lance is the most obvious choice).

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      The fact that he gave six weeks notice to help with a transition speaks volumes, IMO.
                      Especially since the first WHL pre-season game is September 1st.

Comment

I think most, except apparently the rest of the UAA embarrassment er fanbase, would agree a Head Coaching job in the WHL is miles better than a job in the WCHA, especially in a large market like Calgary.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          I think most, except apparently the rest of the UAA embarrassment er fanbase, would agree a Head Coaching job in the WHL is miles better than a job in the WCHA, especially in a large market like Calgary.
                          If you put major junior and college on the same playing field, this job for him is like getting the gig at Minnesota or Michigan. The Hitmen have been one of the most successful programs in the WHL in the last 10 years plus, and they're directly owned by the Calgary Flames, so he will be in that discussion should a position open in that family in the future. 2 years in, maybe he's the new head coach in Abbotsford... Who knows.

Comment

Who said it wasn't? I think we (including UAF fans) were just very surprised by the move this time of year.
                            Originally Posted by aparch
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Ding ding ding. Especially in a place like Calgary (bigger than any WCHA market) that has a direct relationship with an NHL franchise. Most WCHA coaches would make a similar move, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Who said it wasn't? I think we (including UAF fans) were just very surprised by the move this time of year.
                                You've gotta move when the job is open.

Comment

Working...
                                X