• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Zach Frye named to All-WCHA 1st Team

Steven Jandric named to All-WCHA Rookie Team

Congrats, gentlemen!
    Also Zach Frye was signed by the San Jose Barracuda of the AHL today.

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

I wonder if the new AD at UAF is going to change the Athletics back to Alaska-Fairbanks verses just "Alaska."

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
        I wonder if the new AD at UAF is going to change the Athletics back to Alaska-Fairbanks verses just "Alaska."
        I wonder if the new AD at UAA is going to make that distinction a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          I wonder if the new AD at UAA is going to make that distinction a moot point.
          I am confused...why would that matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            No. It honors our heritage and also confuses the hell out of the Seawolves. It’s a win-win.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              No. It honors our heritage and also confuses the hell out of the Seawolves. It’s a win-win.
              Not me. I prefer "Alaska" or "Alaska Nanooks." I was trying to help Dr. Gray help change ESPNU ticker to just "Alaska" from "AK-Frbnks." But, ESPNU will not change it. I do not know how to reach ESPNU to let them know that the ticker should just say "Alaska." They have us as "Alaska Anc"

So, I am with you guys. Stay just "Alaska". I would rather see UAA be Alaska State University, but that prob will never happen.

Comment

Not me. I prefer "Alaska" or "Alaska Nanooks." I was trying to help Dr. Gray help change ESPNU ticker to just "Alaska" from "AK-Frbnks." But, ESPNU will not change it. I do not know how to reach ESPNU to let them know that the ticker should just say "Alaska." They have us as "Alaska Anc"

So, I am with you guys. Stay just "Alaska". I would rather see UAA be Alaska State University, but that prob will never happen.
                You might start with the UAA athletic department, who continues to refer to us as Alaska Fairbanks, I believe out of spite.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

You might start with the UAA athletic department, who continues to refer to us as Alaska Fairbanks, I believe out of spite.
                  And your own fans do as well.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

No, I agree. But fans at UAF should chant "U..of...A... instead of U..A..F! Just to be consistent

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      And your own fans do as well.
                      Actually we don’t refer to ourselves out of spite. The name of the university is the University of Alaska Fairbanks, or UAF. Sports teams are the Alaska Nanooks.

Much like the University of Texas at Austin refers to themselves as the Texas Longhorns or the University of California at Berkeley refers to themselves as the Cal Golden Bears.

Feel free to keep up the UA_ schtick though. It only got stale a decade ago.

Comment

Square,

I totally get it!!! I think the best example is the University of Nevada, Reno. The OFFICIAL name is UNR. But, their sports teams are NEVADA WOLFPACK. Everywhere in the Athletics arena, stadium, etc. simply says "Nevada." Even ESPN says Nevada. When the University of Nevada, Las Vegas plays the University of Nevada, Reno...it is always Nevada vs. UNLV. Espn, and other networks acknowledge that...except Alaska. it is always "AK-Frbnks vs. AK-Anchorage" or UAF vs. UAA. Never "Alaska vs. UAA." So, I was helping Dr. Gray sort this out with ESPNU, but cannot get the right office to let them know the ticker should just say "Alaska." the GNAC and WCHA simply say "Alaska."

Comment

Actually we don’t refer to ourselves out of spite. The name of the university is the University of Alaska Fairbanks, or UAF. Sports teams are the Alaska Nanooks.

Much like the University of Texas at Austin refers to themselves as the Texas Longhorns or the University of California at Berkeley refers to themselves as the Cal Golden Bears.

Feel free to keep up the UA_ schtick though. It only got stale a decade ago.
                          I will continue to use UA_, along with the majority of other posters here. If it annoys you, even better!
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            I will continue to use UA_, along with the majority of other posters here. If it annoys you, even better!
                            Less on annoyance, more on pity.

Comment

Square,

I totally get it!!! I think the best example is the University of Nevada, Reno. The OFFICIAL name is UNR. But, their sports teams are NEVADA WOLFPACK. Everywhere in the Athletics arena, stadium, etc. simply says "Nevada." Even ESPN says Nevada. When the University of Nevada, Las Vegas plays the University of Nevada, Reno...it is always Nevada vs. UNLV. Espn, and other networks acknowledge that...except Alaska. it is always "AK-Frbnks vs. AK-Anchorage" or UAF vs. UAA. Never "Alaska vs. UAA." So, I was helping Dr. Gray sort this out with ESPNU, but cannot get the right office to let them know the ticker should just say "Alaska." the GNAC and WCHA simply say "Alaska."
                              Appreciate the gesture. Sadly, I think ESPNU could care less about either program. But, the ESPN app says “Alaska” on their men’s hockey scoreboard. So there’s that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Appreciate the gesture. Sadly, I think ESPNU could care less about either program. But, the ESPN app says “Alaska” on their men’s hockey scoreboard. So there’s that.
                                Well at least something worked!

Comment

Working...
                                X