Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

UAF at FSU this weekend. We always a have a tough time at FSU. This series is probably a toss-up. Weíre probably faster but they play a more physical game, especially in their barn. I like our chances, but I think we need to be just a bit quicker with our passes and shots.

Seems FSU doesnít waste a lot of time cycling the puck. If they can get a guy to the corner they pass or just dump the puck toward the net, have one or two guys crash the net, and hope for the best. And it works. We need to be prepared to grind it out on both ends of the ice this weekend.

Go Nooks!

Tale of the Tape from CHN:

"Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    UAF at FSU this weekend.
    I wonder if Drygas reads the USCHO? He made quite a big deal voicing his opinion that UAA and Anchorage residents as a whole (including media and news channels) has heartburn over Fairbanks changing their name to UA. He gets really upset when "we" refer to you guys as "UAF". Hahaha.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I wonder if Drygas reads the USCHO? He made quite a big deal voicing his opinion that UAA and Anchorage residents as a whole (including media and news channels) has heartburn over Fairbanks changing their name to UA. He gets really upset when "we" refer to you guys as "UAF". Hahaha.
    I could care less about Anchorageís refusal to call us Alaska. We made the switch because thatís what our teams were historically called (our sports teams go back to the 1930ís)...it wasnít some random decision.

More irritating to me is the Anchorage mediaís refusal to cover anything related to UAF, unless of course itís bad news in which case theyíre on it like a fat kid on a French fry. I once asked Doyle Woody via email about that and he told me point blank his bosses (read: Beth Bragg, who is notoriously butthurt about anything to do with UAF) told him not to cover the Nanooks. Show me another state where there is zero coverage of a Division 1 program in that stateís largest city, regardless if a rival is located in said city (WSU still gets tons of press in Seattle, as an example). Itís bizarre.

And yes, I know nobody in Fairbanks covers UAA regularly either. But since there is a chance the News Miner could become the largest paper in Alaska at any moment now, that could change.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    I could care less about Anchorageís refusal to call us Alaska. We made the switch because thatís what our teams were historically called (our sports teams go back to the 1930ís)...it wasnít some random decision.

More irritating to me is the Anchorage mediaís refusal to cover anything related to UAF, unless of course itís bad news in which case theyíre on it like a fat kid on a French fry. I once asked Doyle Woody via email about that and he told me point blank his bosses (read: Beth Bragg, who is notoriously butthurt about anything to do with UAF) told him not to cover the Nanooks. Show me another state where there is zero coverage of a Division 1 program in that stateís largest city, regardless if a rival is located in said city (WSU still gets tons of press in Seattle, as an example). Itís bizarre.

And yes, I know nobody in Fairbanks covers UAA regularly either. But since there is a chance the News Miner could become the largest paper in Alaska at any moment now, that could change.
    Woody used to give UA_ coverage when he had his blog.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

This is true.

I could care less about Anchorage’s refusal to call us Alaska. We made the switch because that’s what our teams were historically called (our sports teams go back to the 1930’s)...it wasn’t some random decision.
    methinks Dirt and Rock polar bears was the first.
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 11-15-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Until last season most of their "fans" still called them UAF.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Until last season most of their "fans" still called them UAF.
    sounds better than begging for a pea test ....
    give me a U
    give me a A
    ...hold the cup.
    ... as i filler up

Northern Michigan, historical thorn in the side and beneficiary of many subsidized trips to the far north, is in town this weekend. We are scoring at a higher clip than the Wildcats but have had a pesky habit of allowing more goals than we score. Hopefully our guys can bounce back after face planting at Ferris last week.

This is true.
    He now says very, very little about college hockey.
    From past experience with his writing this is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    Because he is no longer employed by Alaska Dispatch.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    He moved to Nashville...not exactly a hotbed of NCAA hockey.

He moved to Nashville...not exactly a hotbed of NCAA hockey.
    But a great pro hockey market.

A much needed win tonight!! Congratulations to DellaMaggiore on his first start and first win. And almost a shutout to boot. Defense played much better tonight, cutting down on the turnovers and perfect on the penalty kill. It is good to see Froese back out there again, I thought he played excellent both nights. It would be nice to get to .500 by Christmas, but we have a lot of work to do.

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold

So has Anchorage turned it around and has improved or is a Tech not as good as they have been in the past? I donít even know what to expect next weekend or even the games in Anchorage in December now after UAA taking 4/6 against Tech.

Completely different game tonight compared to last night. They played well tonight. Still made some errors but overall there was great improvement. I noticed the change Friday night when we pulled Anton and the guys worked real hard to prevent the ENG. Glad to see it carried over to tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    So has Anchorage turned it around and has improved or is a Tech not as good as they have been in the past?
    I think itís a little bit of both. Anchorage had nowhere to go but up after the last two or three seasons. And Tech went through a coaching change in the offseason.

Nice W last night, and sorely needed.

Still upright

I think itís a little bit of both. Anchorage had nowhere to go but up after the last two or three seasons. And Tech went through a coaching change in the offseason.

Honestly, Tech is just not that good.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

A little bit of both, Tech started slow last year as well. It would be nice to have a flat out win doe. Remember when we played earlier in the year?

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Honestly, Tech is just not that good.
    They were the better team on the ice for most of Friday and Saturday nights games. Mantha was the difference maker - and UAA capitalized on Tech's mistakes. If UAA would have played smart and with some energy last night, they would have gotten than much needed point for the win. They still have a long way to go, IMHO.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

The Nooks 4-1 win Saturday night against NMU was not pretty but well earned. But thatís how we have to win games. Both teams skated hard and neither team gave up any time or space. Nothing went uncontested by either team. That needs to be our identity.

I couldnít care less how Tech is playing. If our team shows up and plays like they did Saturday night we have a chance of winning. If our team plays like they did against FSU last weekend we will lose. MTU went winless in Anchorage and will be angry and a bit desperate for points. Weíll have match their intensity. I would expect they come out flying and we need to be prepared for it.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Thread Information