Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Wow that was close!! The Mavericks ALMOST scored. What a great game by the Nanooks! Killing not one but two 5 on 3’s, going 8 for 8 total on the penalty kill along with 2 power play goals. Congratulations to Anton Martinsson on his first career shutout, a great game from him all of the defense!

Comment

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
      Wow that was close!! The Mavericks ALMOST scored. What a great game by the Nanooks! Killing not one but two 5 on 3’s, going 8 for 8 total on the penalty kill along with 2 power play goals. Congratulations to Anton Martinsson on his first career shutout, a great game from him all of the defense!
      Congrats! At least one Alaska team is having a decent season.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
        Only other team to blank Mankato this year was St. Cloud - who the Nanooks had on their heels for two games in their barn. This is what our guys are capable of and I'm glad it's clicking. Now they just have to keep it going.
        Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Great team effort last night as the Alaska Nanooks defeated the Minnesota State Mavericks 5-0. With solid defense and goaltending, and goals from Frye(2), Munson, Thompson, and Leer, the Nooks were able to get Martinsson his first shutout. A few shots from last night:

Munson's shot over the right leg pad made it 3-0.

MSU's best chances came on two 5x3 opportunities, but Martinsson was up to the task.

Leer's hard work and goal in the front of the crease made it 4-0.

Even up 5-0 late in the game, the Nooks worked their butts off to maintain Martinsson's first shutout. Total team effort last night.

Comment

Well, that was ugly. Coach had some choice words for Mankato after the fact...I’d say the gong show actually started Friday night when they took a run at Martinsson. But taking a run at one of our best players 15 seconds into the game makes your intentions pretty obvious. Mankato knew we could beat them 5x5 so they made it a special teams game and it worked out in their favor.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              Well, that was ugly. Coach had some choice words for Mankato after the fact...I’d say the gong show actually started Friday night when they took a run at Martinsson. But taking a run at one of our best players 15 seconds into the game makes your intentions pretty obvious. Mankato knew we could beat them 5x5 so they made it a special teams game and it worked out in their favor.
              Exactly. And they also knew that our guys wouldn't just take it. Our guys are good 5x5 and can skate with anybody. But to beat a team that wants to play like that, you have to let them dig their own grave and keep taking penalties. You can't come back at them - especially with the officiating in our league.

Heading to Houghton this weekend. Hoping for a good time.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
                Exactly. And they also knew that our guys wouldn't just take it. Our guys are good 5x5 and can skate with anybody. But to beat a team that wants to play like that, you have to let them dig their own grave and keep taking penalties. You can't come back at them - especially with the officiating in our league.

Heading to Houghton this weekend. Hoping for a good time.
                In other words, they were fishing and we took the bait.

Have fun with the wood knockers at Tech.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

In other words, they were fishing and we took the bait.
                  We took it hook, line, and sinker...

Have fun with the wood knockers at Tech.
                  I fully intend to mock their chants and traditions... If I don't make it out alive, you can have my hockey jerseys...

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post

I fully intend to mock their chants and traditions... If I don't make it out alive, you can have my hockey jerseys...
                    Do you have a light blue throwback?...............you might get lost in the snow..
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

We took it hook, line, and sinker...

The hell they can. I'm calling dibs.
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Sure would be nice if Hope and Leiter, two of our top goal scorers and energy guys were available. Do we have any clue how long they might be out?...game to game, a couple of weeks, not till the playoffs, the rest of the season?

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                          Sure would be nice if Hope and Leiter, two of our top goal scorers and energy guys were available. Do we have any clue how long they might be out?...game to game, a couple of weeks, not till the playoffs, the rest of the season?
                          Leiter travelled - so there's obviously a good chance he can play. Hope may be out for a while - rest of the season, perhaps from what I've heard.

Comment

Leiter travelled - so there's obviously a good chance he can play. Hope may be out for a while - rest of the season, perhaps from what I've heard.
                            Happy to see Hope in the lineup!

Bruce mentioned Leiter did not travel. Guess it was backwards. Either way, hope to see Leiter back soon!
                            Last edited by UAFIceAngel; 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Saturday night.
                              Nooks on the PK but up 2-0 with 6 seconds left in the first.
                              Nooks up 2-1 with 5 seconds left in the first.
                              Nooks had a perfect opportunity to clear the puck but decided to skate a bit and wrap it around the boards. Unfortunately didn't get it out which lead to the MTU score. We sure shoot ourselves in the foot too often.

Comment

Nooks trail 3-2 after two.
                                This game is frustrating. We can't play with a lead. Period.
                                We always seem to sacrifice a "quick" shot when the other team and goalie is out of position, for a fancy dippsy-doddle pass that seldom connects.
                                How about just getting the puck on net and working your butt off for the rebound.
                                We're losing way to many individual puck battles.

The Nooks seemed a little p$$$ed at the buzzer so maybe they'll come out with a little fire in the third.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
                                X