Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

UAF at FSU this weekend. We always a have a tough time at FSU. This series is probably a toss-up. We’re probably faster but they play a more physical game, especially in their barn. I like our chances, but I think we need to be just a bit quicker with our passes and shots.

Seems FSU doesn’t waste a lot of time cycling the puck. If they can get a guy to the corner they pass or just dump the puck toward the net, have one or two guys crash the net, and hope for the best. And it works. We need to be prepared to grind it out on both ends of the ice this weekend.

Go Nooks!

Tale of the Tape from CHN:

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      UAF at FSU this weekend.
      I wonder if Drygas reads the USCHO? He made quite a big deal voicing his opinion that UAA and Anchorage residents as a whole (including media and news channels) has heartburn over Fairbanks changing their name to UA. He gets really upset when "we" refer to you guys as "UAF". Hahaha.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
        I wonder if Drygas reads the USCHO? He made quite a big deal voicing his opinion that UAA and Anchorage residents as a whole (including media and news channels) has heartburn over Fairbanks changing their name to UA. He gets really upset when "we" refer to you guys as "UAF". Hahaha.
        I could care less about Anchorage’s refusal to call us Alaska. We made the switch because that’s what our teams were historically called (our sports teams go back to the 1930’s)...it wasn’t some random decision.

More irritating to me is the Anchorage media’s refusal to cover anything related to UAF, unless of course it’s bad news in which case they’re on it like a fat kid on a French fry. I once asked Doyle Woody via email about that and he told me point blank his bosses (read: Beth Bragg, who is notoriously butthurt about anything to do with UAF) told him not to cover the Nanooks. Show me another state where there is zero coverage of a Division 1 program in that state’s largest city, regardless if a rival is located in said city (WSU still gets tons of press in Seattle, as an example). It’s bizarre.

And yes, I know nobody in Fairbanks covers UAA regularly either. But since there is a chance the News Miner could become the largest paper in Alaska at any moment now, that could change.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          I could care less about Anchorage’s refusal to call us Alaska. We made the switch because that’s what our teams were historically called (our sports teams go back to the 1930’s)...it wasn’t some random decision.

More irritating to me is the Anchorage media’s refusal to cover anything related to UAF, unless of course it’s bad news in which case they’re on it like a fat kid on a French fry. I once asked Doyle Woody via email about that and he told me point blank his bosses (read: Beth Bragg, who is notoriously butthurt about anything to do with UAF) told him not to cover the Nanooks. Show me another state where there is zero coverage of a Division 1 program in that state’s largest city, regardless if a rival is located in said city (WSU still gets tons of press in Seattle, as an example). It’s bizarre.

And yes, I know nobody in Fairbanks covers UAA regularly either. But since there is a chance the News Miner could become the largest paper in Alaska at any moment now, that could change.
          Woody used to give UA_ coverage when he had his blog.
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

This is true.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

methinks Dirt and Rock polar bears was the first.
              Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM.
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Until last season most of their "fans" still called them UAF.
                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                  Until last season most of their "fans" still called them UAF.
                  sounds better than begging for a pea test ....
                  give me a U
                  give me a A
                  ...hold the cup.
                  ... as i filler up
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Northern Michigan, historical thorn in the side and beneficiary of many subsidized trips to the far north, is in town this weekend. We are scoring at a higher clip than the Wildcats but have had a pesky habit of allowing more goals than we score. Hopefully our guys can bounce back after face planting at Ferris last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post

This is true.
                      He now says very, very little about college hockey.
                      From past experience with his writing this is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                        Because he is no longer employed by Alaska Dispatch.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          He moved to Nashville...not exactly a hotbed of NCAA hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            He moved to Nashville...not exactly a hotbed of NCAA hockey.
                            But a great pro hockey market.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

A much needed win tonight!! Congratulations to DellaMaggiore on his first start and first win. And almost a shutout to boot. Defense played much better tonight, cutting down on the turnovers and perfect on the penalty kill. It is good to see Froese back out there again, I thought he played excellent both nights. It would be nice to get to .500 by Christmas, but we have a lot of work to do.

Comment

So has Anchorage turned it around and has improved or is a Tech not as good as they have been in the past? I don’t even know what to expect next weekend or even the games in Anchorage in December now after UAA taking 4/6 against Tech.

Completely different game tonight compared to last night. They played well tonight. Still made some errors but overall there was great improvement. I noticed the change Friday night when we pulled Anton and the guys worked real hard to prevent the ENG. Glad to see it carried over to tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X