Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Alaska head coaching position down to interim coach West, former Miami assistant Brekke

Link

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      It’s down to Lance West or Brent Brekke from Miami.

I vote for Lance.
      Would it be beneficial to have a large amount of support at his public forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        It’s down to Lance West or Brent Brekke from Miami.

I vote for Lance.
        Miami has parted ways with its entire assistant coaching staff, according to multiple sources.

Assistant coaches Brent Brekke, Nick Petraglia will both not return to the program. According to one source, there were four players who were also told they won't return to the team for the 2018-19 season.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
          Miami has parted ways with its entire assistant coaching staff, according to multiple sources.

Assistant coaches Brent Brekke, Nick Petraglia will both not return to the program. According to one source, there were four players who were also told they won't return to the team for the 2018-19 season.
          Linking for you: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...nt-Coaches.php
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

News Miner has a nice summary up on Brekke’s forum. He’s definitely saying the right things. Helps that he is an old CCHA guy and has experience with us as an opponent. Also helps that he is from
            North Dakota.

I think it’s going to come down to how much of a risk administration wants to take. Lance is a safer choice, IMO, and I wouldn’t be at all opposed to giving a chance to see what he can do over the course of several years. The fact that he’s paid his dues and stayed loyal to us is a bonus.

But Brekke has a great pedigree, and winning typically leads to winning. Miami could never quite get over the hump, but I look at our program right now and we aren’t close to getting high enough up on the hump to get over it. I see our ceiling the next couple years as being close to what NMU did this season...home ice in the WCHA and a fringe shot at a NCAA bid.

I’m glad I don’t have to make the final decision.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I thought Brekke had a good meet-and-greet.

Expect the same from West. Thankful we're in a different situation than UAA. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think we have a couple of good options and a tough decision to make. Wouldn't be surprised to find out there was a third possible candidate but the parties found a professional, albeit late way to step back and avoid what happened in Anchorage. As fans we want the inside scoop, but we shouldn’t know if a coach was truly the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice. If Brekke declines an offer I hope we never know. I'm not disappointed with either candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                I thought Brekke had a good meet-and-greet.

Expect the same from West. Thankful we're in a different situation than UAA. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think we have a couple of good options and a tough decision to make. Wouldn't be surprised to find out there was a third possible candidate but the parties found a professional, albeit late way to step back and avoid what happened in Anchorage. As fans we want the inside scoop, but we shouldn’t know if a coach was truly the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice. If Brekke declines an offer I hope we never know. I'm not disappointed with either candidate.
                Lance's philosophy on the game and his feelings towards the fan base/community reminds me a lot of Gadowsky. When we got swept by UAA, Lance made it clear at the press conference that WE failed, meaning the players AND the coaching staff. I think it takes a big person and a good heart to say that sort of thing.

I agree that I am not disappointed with either candidate but like it was mentioned before, Lance has been loyal to us and while we didn't have a great season, it also wasn't a complete failure either. I don't want to push away anyone who is willing and eager to be here, can we just hire both?

Comment

Look at you guys with all your options and stuff.
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

This is easy. Two finalists, Fairbanks picks one, the other goes to Anchorage. Simple, right?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      This is easy. Two finalists, Fairbanks picks one, the other goes to Anchorage. Simple, right?
                      No thanks to sloppy seconds.

Just hire Dennis Sorenson.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        No thanks to sloppy seconds.

Just hire Dennis Sorenson.
                        You may be heading down that path if the bridge isn’t already burned.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                          Lance's philosophy on the game and his feelings towards the fan base/community reminds me a lot of Gadowsky. When we got swept by UAA, Lance made it clear at the press conference that WE failed, meaning the players AND the coaching staff. I think it takes a big person and a good heart to say that sort of thing.

I agree that I am not disappointed with either candidate but like it was mentioned before, Lance has been loyal to us and while we didn't have a great season, it also wasn't a complete failure either. I don't want to push away anyone who is willing and eager to be here, can we just hire both?
                          In no way am I celebrating an 11 win season, but squeezing 11 wins out of a team with no goaltending experience and a razor thin D after our top two guys (one of whom also happened to be our top scorer) was a bit of an accomplishment. This was a season that easily could have gone off the rails and mostly didn’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            You may be heading down that path if the bridge isn’t already burned.
                            He has applied at least twice.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                              He has applied at least twice.
                              And he's not qualified.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                Why would you do that to the runner up?

Comment

Working...
                                X