• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Here's a shocker! Looks like Ferguson is headed to Calgary
    https://www.independentsportsnews.co...ses-top-scout/
    Don't really follow major juniors much. Is the pay even remotely comparable to an NCAA D1 job?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      Don't really follow major juniors much. Is the pay even remotely comparable to an NCAA D1 job?
      Comparable to the job he has now? Yes. Comparable to a top D1 program like NoDak/Minnesota? Not likely.
      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Welp. Wonder if we can lure Schmidt back north.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

We’re a little behind the eight ball for time. It seems the most likely course of action (because of time and budget) would be to name Lance West as interim head coach. The problem with that (for Lance) is if we do eventually select a new head coach from outside then his days are probably numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            Welp. Wonder if we can lure Schmidt back north.
            Get Rob Proffett, he was always fun to watch dance on the bench. But what ever you do don't fire Bruce, with Butter Bear and Space Bear gone Bruce is top dog for everything........and I mean everything.....
            Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 07-10-2017, 10:05 PM.
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
              We’re a little behind the eight ball for time. It seems the most likely course of action (because of time and budget) would be to name Lance West as interim head coach. The problem with that (for Lance) is if we do eventually select a new head coach from outside then his days are probably numbered.
              I wouldn't be surprised if that is announced shortly. Would make the most sense, at least for this season.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                Wonder if any players would transfer?
                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                  I would think if it's Lance tapped as interim that transfers would be minimal but who knows. Next six weeks are going to be interesting.

Comment

I would think if it's Lance tapped as interim that transfers would be minimal but who knows. Next six weeks are going to be interesting.
                    I hope this isn't a sign that he feels the hockey programs are in danger. Someone I know spoke with Dallas just a couple months ago and Dallas told them he wasn't concerned at all about hockey going away. It's just very odd that he is leaving so soon before the start of the season. As a UAA fan, I am hoping your next coach isn't as good as Dallas was.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

It is now official. About as official can get.

Dallas Ferguson has resigned as head coach of the Alaska Nanook hockey team. The 44 year old will take similar duties with the Calgary Hitmen who are members of the Western Hockey League, one of three major junior leagues in Canada. Ferguson confirmed the announcement Monday night in an email to the UAF Face Off Club board members.

The Hitmen blog and Nanook hockey blogs broke the news on Sunday and Monday respectively. College Hockey News ran with the story too. A quick blurb on TV sports and not a word in the newspaper. And no official announcement from the athletic department until after today's press conference in the Alberta province.

Ferguson was a student/athlete for four seasons at UAF, a defenseman and team captain and ranks 25th in all time scoring with 104 points. He served as an assistant coach for four years and this season would have been his tenth as head coach. Highlights during his tenure as the head bench boss include a fourth place finish in the CCHA standings, a coach of the year honor and he also led the icers to the NCAA tournament for the first time in program history in 2009-10. Under Ferguson, Alaska has won seven straight Alaska Airlines Governors Cups against archrivals UAA.

Good luck to Dallas Ferguson, new head coach of the WHL's Calgary Hitmen.

note* three Alaska Airlines were vacated via NCAA violations FYI...
                      Last edited by fairbanks hockey puck; 07-11-2017, 11:28 AM. Reason: FYI...

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                        I hope this isn't a sign that he feels the hockey programs are in danger. Someone I know spoke with Dallas just a couple months ago and Dallas told them he wasn't concerned at all about hockey going away. It's just very odd that he is leaving so soon before the start of the season. As a UAA fan, I am hoping your next coach isn't as good as Dallas was.
                        You've got to take the job when it's available.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

He's a good poker player...didn't show his cards including some folks who just saw him Friday night...

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            I don't believe he felt they were in danger any more. I'd heard he had opportunities to leave a year ago and decided not to because of the optics.

I know he has aspirations beyond NCAA, and moving to Calgary gets him more in the thick of things in the hockey world. Plus he's an Alberta boy anyway. It stinks for us but it was bound to happen eventually.

I have nothing but good things to say about the man, and am grateful for all he did for our program both on and off the ice. He will be in the Nanook Hall of Fame before long, and he will be missed in the Alaska hockey world.

Comment

I don't believe he felt they were in danger any more. I'd heard he had opportunities to leave a year ago and decided not to because of the optics.

I know he has aspirations beyond NCAA, and moving to Calgary gets him more in the thick of things in the hockey world. Plus he's an Alberta boy anyway. It stinks for us but it was bound to happen eventually.

I have nothing but good things to say about the man, and am grateful for all he did for our program both on and off the ice. He will be in the Nanook Hall of Fame before long, and he will be missed in the Alaska hockey world.
                              Class act all the way. One of the best guys in the game.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                Where are they going to walk-on this late in the game? .....show me 1 player with a backup plan other than Mom’s basement.
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X