Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Who is representing and voting on behalf of UAF at the ACHA convention where new rules are being discussed?
    According to this list, no one: http://ahcahockey.com/convlist.php
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
      According to this list, no one: http://ahcahockey.com/convlist.php
      Well Brett Larson is listed as being there for UMD and Motzko for SCSU
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Erik Largen, an assistant for several years with the program and former goaltender for the Nooks, is the new coach.

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/4...ead-coach.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
          Erik Largen, an assistant for several years with the program and former goaltender for the Nooks, is the new coach.

Interesting. Do you like this choice?
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post

I don't know about those in Fairbanks but that is pretty uninspiring to me...Would you really rather have Largen than Trevor Stewart?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I don't know about those in Fairbanks but that is pretty uninspiring to me...Would you really rather have Largen than Trevor Stewart?
              Uninspiring how? We swung for the fences with Brekke and he still got cold feet...Largen is a native and an alum. He’s not likely to bail after a couple of good seasons, which I think Anchorage may have to deal with if their hire is successful (and I hope he is, for their sake).

Trevor Stewart will be a great hire eventually, but it still remains that he has zero D1 coaching experience, and going from a Tier II junior program straight to a D1 head coaching job would have been a major leap of faith. Hard to really make that argument when us and Anchorage are already two of the more logistically challenging jobs in D1.

I’m happy with Largen, and happy for him. We’ll find out soon enough how ready he is, but I think it’s a low-risk move that has good potential upside.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                Uninspiring how? We swung for the fences with Brekke and he still got cold feet...Largen is a native and an alum. He’s not likely to bail after a couple of good seasons, which I think Anchorage may have to deal with if their hire is successful (and I hope he is, for their sake).

Trevor Stewart will be a great hire eventually, but it still remains that he has zero D1 coaching experience, and going from a Tier II junior program straight to a D1 head coaching job would have been a major leap of faith. Hard to really make that argument when us and Anchorage are already two of the more logistically challenging jobs in D1.

I’m happy with Largen, and happy for him. We’ll find out soon enough how ready he is, but I think it’s a low-risk move that has good potential upside.
                How is Stewart any more of a leap than Largen?

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  Interesting. Do you like this choice?
                  I do. Like it has been mentioned, he's from Fairbanks so I trust he wants what is best for the program. I think I mentioned this before, but I did an interview with Lance last year in regards to the assistant coaches and he discussed Erik's coaching style and commended him on his ability to recruit and connect with players. I think this will benefit the program but I also hope he's capable of keeping the team in line and not becoming too much of a friend.

He is the same age as me which is crazy because I couldn't imagine anyone I know taking on a D1 head coaching gig, but I have faith in him and believe that he deserves this opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Both have experience as head or assistant coaches in junior hockey (both in the NAHL too). Stewart is a little bit older so has a few more years of experience than Largen but Erik has DI/DIII head and assistant coaching experience, has the connection to Fairbanks and the program itself as a former player so I am happy Largen was selected over Stewart (if it's true that Stewart applied).

Comment

I think Stewart could be a D-1 coach. He’s definitely done an outstanding job with the Ice Dogs. But a couple years as a D-1 assistant would be beneficial for him.
                      Last edited by davyd83; 04-30-2018, 12:57 PM.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        I think Stewart could be a D-1 coach. But a couple years as a D-1 assistant would be beneficial for him.
                        What he said.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          I think Stewart could be a D-1 coach. He’s definitely done an outstanding job with the Ice Dogs. But a couple years as a D-1 assistant would be beneficial for him.
                          Lots of things would be beneficial, but I don't really see how Largen is the better choice...because he's from Fairbanks? Because Stewart has done it in the NAHL? Maybe I'd agree if Largen had been the coach at Marian since they booted up before leaving for UAF but I just don't see it.

Comment

Lots of things would be beneficial, but I don't really see how Largen is the better choice...because he's from Fairbanks? Because Stewart has done it in the NAHL? Maybe I'd agree if Largen had been the coach at Marian since they booted up before leaving for UAF but I just don't see it.
                            Erik being from Fairbanks plays a much larger role than you’d think. He will do what it takes to get the team involved in the community.

More community support = more fans at games = more revenue = better recruiting = better players = winning program.

Guy Gadowsky did it, it’s entirely possible with the right person.

You can throw all the money at a program like UAA and ours, if you don’t have someone leading it who is dedicated then you won’t be successful. Even Suze has mentioned UAA has been giving the coaching staff decent funding and they couldn’t do much with it.

Stewart coaches the NAHL and wins in the NAHL. The fans that support the Ice Dogs are so different than the Nanook fan base. The environment is different. I don’t think Stewart could carry that level of success in to D1 hockey. Erik deserves a shot at the helm, just as I believe Lance did, even if he hadn’t served as interim.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                              Erik being from Fairbanks plays a much larger role than you’d think. He will do what it takes to get the team involved in the community.

More community support = more fans at games = more revenue = better recruiting = better players = winning program.

Guy Gadowsky did it, it’s entirely possible with the right person.

You can throw all the money at a program like UAA and ours, if you don’t have someone leading it who is dedicated then you won’t be successful. Even Suze has mentioned UAA has been giving the coaching staff decent funding and they couldn’t do much with it.

Stewart coaches the NAHL and wins in the NAHL. The fans that support the Ice Dogs are so different than the Nanook fan base. The environment is different. I don’t think Stewart could carry that level of success in to D1 hockey. Erik deserves a shot at the helm, just as I believe Lance did, even if he hadn’t served as interim.
                              Guy never coached Juniors. He was coaching minor league pro with the Fresno Falcons of the West Coast Hockey League, which would later merge with the ECHL. Coincidentally, six years after Gadowsky left Fresno for Fairbanks, Matt Thomas (the now former UAA Coach) took over as head coach of the Falcons.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

What happens to Lance now I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                                X