Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    No. It honors our heritage and also confuses the hell out of the Seawolves. It’s a win-win.
    Your heritage is rocks and dirt in college ak.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
      Your heritage is rocks and dirt in college ak.
      I have no response because you have no heritage.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Took a look online at both head hockey coach job postings at UAA and UAF. UAA’s is a little better than UAF’s, but both seem poorly written to me, and I’m a retired bureaucrat. They’re put together differently, but bottom line, either could hire almost anybody off the street if they wanted. They have given themselves all the flexibility they could want, which is good.

Both are probably open until filled, but most telling is the ‘first” closing is March 16 for UAA and March 18 for UAF. So both close at the end of this week. Wouldn’t be surprised if UAA has their eye on one of their assistants and UAF on Lance.

IMHO, Lance did a good job as interim, and the fact that he has paid his dues with our program is just a bonus. Seems like he is a players coach, likes the faster transition game, and has a little more emotion and more of an edge than Dallas had, without being over the top. All good stuff. I hope he gets his chance.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          Took a look online at both head hockey coach job postings at UAA and UAF. UAA’s is a little better than UAF’s, but both seem poorly written to me, and I’m a retired bureaucrat. They’re put together differently, but bottom line, either could hire almost anybody off the street if they wanted. They have given themselves all the flexibility they could want, which is good.

Both are probably open until filled, but most telling is the ‘first” closing is March 16 for UAA and March 18 for UAF. So both close at the end of this week. Wouldn’t be surprised if UAA has their eye on one of their assistants and UAF on Lance.

IMHO, Lance did a good job as interim, and the fact that he has paid his dues with our program is just a bonus. Seems like he is a players coach, likes the faster transition game, and has a little more emotion and more of an edge than Dallas had, without being over the top. All good stuff. I hope he gets his chance.
          In my experience, the required and preferred portions of a job posting were almost always lenient. Isn't that how we got Thomas anyways? His coaching experience was "similar" to NCAA coaching.

Looking back we probably should've picked Corbett, military ties and more Alaska attitude and such. Don't know how much better overall he would've been though.
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post

I really hope Lance gets the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
              Square,

I totally get it!!! I think the best example is the University of Nevada, Reno. The OFFICIAL name is UNR. But, their sports teams are NEVADA WOLFPACK. Everywhere in the Athletics arena, stadium, etc. simply says "Nevada." Even ESPN says Nevada. When the University of Nevada, Las Vegas plays the University of Nevada, Reno...it is always Nevada vs. UNLV. Espn, and other networks acknowledge that...except Alaska. it is always "AK-Frbnks vs. AK-Anchorage" or UAF vs. UAA. Never "Alaska vs. UAA." So, I was helping Dr. Gray sort this out with ESPNU, but cannot get the right office to let them know the ticker should just say "Alaska." the GNAC and WCHA simply say "Alaska."
              Or Cal-Berkely, Alabama-Tuscaloosa or Minnesota-Twin Cities. In Louisiana, both Southwest Louisiana and Northeast Louisiana wanted to be “Louisiana.” The state system said OK and the schools became UL-Lafayette and UL-Monroe. But now, Southwest has dropped the “Lafayette” from it’s athletic identity.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                I really hope Lance gets the job.
                Have they found anybody or waiting for leftovers...
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

If by leftovers you mean are we waiting around to see if you guys once again boot out your qualified candidates at the eleventh hour...well, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    If by leftovers you mean are we waiting around to see if you guys once again boot out your qualified candidates at the eleventh hour...well, maybe.

Dennis is on his way ,hire him ...we'll toss in the shot Lady ........no extra charge

Comment

from KTVA TV in Anchorage

Meantime at UAF, the Nanooks' search progresses.

Kayne Gutierrez, the school's acting athletic director says the department is narrowing its focus.
                      "We have candidates who have been NHL coaches, we have candidates who have been Division 1 coaches," he said by phone on Monday. "I think they really run the gamut in a positive way."

UAF also has the help wanted sign out following the departure of Dallas Ferguson. He resigned after nine seasons to take the head coaching position with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League.

UAF hopes to have the position filled by April 15.

Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.

Comment

"Narrowing its focus" and "filled by April 15" do not go together. Considering that there'll probably be a day or two of negotiations and that the 15th is a Sunday, they pretty much need to decide on a person by Monday or Tuesday and be sure that they're getting their person at a price that person wants.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                          from KTVA TV in Anchorage

Meantime at UAF, the Nanooks' search progresses.

Kayne Gutierrez, the school's acting athletic director says the department is narrowing its focus.
                          "We have candidates who have been NHL coaches, we have candidates who have been Division 1 coaches," he said by phone on Monday. "I think they really run the gamut in a positive way."

UAF also has the help wanted sign out following the departure of Dallas Ferguson. He resigned after nine seasons to take the head coaching position with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League.

UAF hopes to have the position filled by April 15.

Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.
                          Any mention of names?
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            "Narrowing its focus" and "filled by April 15" do not go together. Considering that there'll probably be a day or two of negotiations and that the 15th is a Sunday, they pretty much need to decide on a person by Monday or Tuesday and be sure that they're getting their person at a price that person wants.

GFM
                            Yea, I wouldn’t bank on that. The committee may be able to agree on their first choice by then, but then they have to go through the process of allowing those not in the top three who do not want it known they applied for the job to “withdraw” so it is not officially on record. And then they have to hear back from their first and second choices before they announce their third choice, which is the coach they really wanted all along. I hope I am wrong.

I hope whomever is doing the paperwork can keep it all straight (it is well documented we have a problem with paperwork). With openings for the AD, hockey coach, mens basketball coach, womens basketball coach, and ski coach, one misstep and we could have a hockey coach who can herring bone up steep terrain but doesn’t know the first thing about how to run a powerplay (maybe that's not a good example).

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                              Any mention of names?
                              I could tell you, but I won’t
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

It’s down to Lance West or Brent Brekke from Miami.

I vote for Lance.

Comment

Working...
                                X