Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Ahhhh. That's why he didn't take the job! Fairbanks has some of the worst air pollution in the country.
    The nation's only coal-fired power plant currently under construction is being built at the University of Alaska _airbanks.

This should help forever..... so they say...
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 05-04-2018, 02:13 AM.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

This is not an official release from the University, but it appears we have filled one of our assistant coach positions.
      From the Shreveport Times (paraphrased).

Karlis Zirnis, head coach of the NAHL Shreveport Mudbugs has taken a coaching position at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. Zirnis led the Shreveport Mudbugs to a North American Hockey League Robertson Cup championship in the franchise’s second season in junior hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        This is not an official release from the University, but it appears we have filled one of our assistant coach positions.

Karlis Zirnis, head coach of the NAHL Shreveport Mudbugs has taken a coaching position at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. Zirnis led the Shreveport Mudbugs to a North American Hockey League Robertson Cup championship in the franchise’s second season in junior hockey.
        UAA got a player from the Mudbugs. Went to their games when I spent 2 months down there when my granddaughter was born, they were the ECHL team then though. Lots of fun! They had 2 mascots, a large Mudbug and a smaller one called "Lil Bugger". A big, big change in moving to Alaska from Louisiana!
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post

Slight climate change!
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

One Charger returns home and another goes up to replace him. Igor is a good dude, and I'm betting that he'll be a positive for the Nooks.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Slight climate change!
              Karlis is from Riga. He'll be okay.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

***awakens from offseason slumber***

Did I miss anything?
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Colton Parayko is in town conducting a youth hockey camp this week. There will be a meet and greet that follows today starting at 12:30 until 2:30 at the Patty Ice Arena.

There will be a wine tasting event with Colton tomorrow, Wednesday, on the Sternwheeler Tanana Chief.

More events coming to gear up for the upcoming season! Looking forward to the 2018-2019 season. A bunch of new faces and a few familiar faces in new positions but I'm optimistic.

Comment

It appears Denver has finalized their schedule and they host the Nanooks Oct 19th & 20th. Haven’t heard or read anything about that up here.

The games against DU replace our previously scheduled two non-conference games against UAA. Thinking that maybe folks are just confused I checked the UAA schedule, and they have removed those two games against UAF. Ours still says home/home vs UAA.

This is great news. I was not a fan of playing conference foes as non-conference games. Not that the WCHA is likely to benefit in the pairwise. As it stands now, we open up play in Oct with six straight non-conf games: at ASU (Oct 6/7), home vs SCSC (Oct 12/13), and at Denver (Oct 19 & 20). Then we open conf play at MSU on Oct 26 & 27. Going to be an enjoyable but tough October.

Curious who UAA picked up. At least they won’t lose the Cup before Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      It appears Denver has finalized their schedule and they host the Nanooks Oct 19th & 20th. Haven’t heard or read anything about that up here.

The games against DU replace our previously scheduled two non-conference games against UAA. Thinking that maybe folks are just confused I checked the UAA schedule, and they have removed those two games against UAF. Ours still says home/home vs UAA.

This is great news. I was not a fan of playing conference foes as non-conference games. Not that the WCHA is likely to benefit in the pairwise. As it stands now, we open up play in Oct with six straight non-conf games: at ASU (Oct 6/7), home vs SCSC (Oct 12/13), and at Denver (Oct 19 & 20). Then we open conf play at MSU on Oct 26 & 27. Going to be an enjoyable but tough October.

Good thing we have a ringer on the DU bench.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        Good thing we have a ringer on the DU bench.
                        Shouldn't that be two ringers on that bench?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          Shouldn't that be two ringers on that bench?
                          True, although one of them hasn’t been around in a decade.

Comment

Given UAA has replaced them with games vs. UNO, I'd say the non-conference Last Frontier games are gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Given UAA has replaced them with games vs. UNO, I'd say the non-conference Last Frontier games are gone.
                              Good. Doesn’t do anything for the conference to have non-conference games between conference teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Good. Doesn’t do anything for the conference to have non-conference games between conference teams.
                                But it sure helps the budget.
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X