Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 587

Thread: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

  1. #541
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Who is representing and voting on behalf of UAF at the ACHA convention where new rules are being discussed?
    According to this list, no one: http://ahcahockey.com/convlist.php

  2. #542
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    According to this list, no one: http://ahcahockey.com/convlist.php
    Well Brett Larson is listed as being there for UMD and Motzko for SCSU
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  3. #543
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,002

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Erik Largen, an assistant for several years with the program and former goaltender for the Nooks, is the new coach.

    http://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/4...ead-coach.aspx

  4. #544
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,523

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    Erik Largen, an assistant for several years with the program and former goaltender for the Nooks, is the new coach.

    http://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/4...ead-coach.aspx
    Interesting. Do you like this choice?
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  5. #545
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    Erik Largen, an assistant for several years with the program and former goaltender for the Nooks, is the new coach.

    http://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/4...ead-coach.aspx
    I don't know about those in Fairbanks but that is pretty uninspiring to me...Would you really rather have Largen than Trevor Stewart?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  6. #546

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I don't know about those in Fairbanks but that is pretty uninspiring to me...Would you really rather have Largen than Trevor Stewart?
    Uninspiring how? We swung for the fences with Brekke and he still got cold feet...Largen is a native and an alum. He’s not likely to bail after a couple of good seasons, which I think Anchorage may have to deal with if their hire is successful (and I hope he is, for their sake).

    Trevor Stewart will be a great hire eventually, but it still remains that he has zero D1 coaching experience, and going from a Tier II junior program straight to a D1 head coaching job would have been a major leap of faith. Hard to really make that argument when us and Anchorage are already two of the more logistically challenging jobs in D1.

    I’m happy with Largen, and happy for him. We’ll find out soon enough how ready he is, but I think it’s a low-risk move that has good potential upside.

  7. #547
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Uninspiring how? We swung for the fences with Brekke and he still got cold feet...Largen is a native and an alum. He’s not likely to bail after a couple of good seasons, which I think Anchorage may have to deal with if their hire is successful (and I hope he is, for their sake).

    Trevor Stewart will be a great hire eventually, but it still remains that he has zero D1 coaching experience, and going from a Tier II junior program straight to a D1 head coaching job would have been a major leap of faith. Hard to really make that argument when us and Anchorage are already two of the more logistically challenging jobs in D1.

    I’m happy with Largen, and happy for him. We’ll find out soon enough how ready he is, but I think it’s a low-risk move that has good potential upside.
    How is Stewart any more of a leap than Largen?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  8. #548
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,002

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Interesting. Do you like this choice?
    I do. Like it has been mentioned, he's from Fairbanks so I trust he wants what is best for the program. I think I mentioned this before, but I did an interview with Lance last year in regards to the assistant coaches and he discussed Erik's coaching style and commended him on his ability to recruit and connect with players. I think this will benefit the program but I also hope he's capable of keeping the team in line and not becoming too much of a friend.

    He is the same age as me which is crazy because I couldn't imagine anyone I know taking on a D1 head coaching gig, but I have faith in him and believe that he deserves this opportunity.

  9. #549
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,002

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    How is Stewart any more of a leap than Largen?
    Both have experience as head or assistant coaches in junior hockey (both in the NAHL too). Stewart is a little bit older so has a few more years of experience than Largen but Erik has DI/DIII head and assistant coaching experience, has the connection to Fairbanks and the program itself as a former player so I am happy Largen was selected over Stewart (if it's true that Stewart applied).

  10. #550
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    How is Stewart any more of a leap than Largen?
    I think Stewart could be a D-1 coach. He’s definitely done an outstanding job with the Ice Dogs. But a couple years as a D-1 assistant would be beneficial for him.
    Last edited by davyd83; 04-30-2018 at 12:57 PM.

  11. #551

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    I think Stewart could be a D-1 coach. But a couple years as a D-1 assistant would be beneficial for him.
    What he said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    How is Stewart any more of a leap than Largen?
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

    —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

  12. #552
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    I think Stewart could be a D-1 coach. He’s definitely done an outstanding job with the Ice Dogs. But a couple years as a D-1 assistant would be beneficial for him.
    Lots of things would be beneficial, but I don't really see how Largen is the better choice...because he's from Fairbanks? Because Stewart has done it in the NAHL? Maybe I'd agree if Largen had been the coach at Marian since they booted up before leaving for UAF but I just don't see it.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  13. #553
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Lots of things would be beneficial, but I don't really see how Largen is the better choice...because he's from Fairbanks? Because Stewart has done it in the NAHL? Maybe I'd agree if Largen had been the coach at Marian since they booted up before leaving for UAF but I just don't see it.
    Erik being from Fairbanks plays a much larger role than you’d think. He will do what it takes to get the team involved in the community.

    More community support = more fans at games = more revenue = better recruiting = better players = winning program.

    Guy Gadowsky did it, it’s entirely possible with the right person.

    You can throw all the money at a program like UAA and ours, if you don’t have someone leading it who is dedicated then you won’t be successful. Even Suze has mentioned UAA has been giving the coaching staff decent funding and they couldn’t do much with it.

    Stewart coaches the NAHL and wins in the NAHL. The fans that support the Ice Dogs are so different than the Nanook fan base. The environment is different. I don’t think Stewart could carry that level of success in to D1 hockey. Erik deserves a shot at the helm, just as I believe Lance did, even if he hadn’t served as interim.

  14. #554
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,397
    Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    Erik being from Fairbanks plays a much larger role than you’d think. He will do what it takes to get the team involved in the community.

    More community support = more fans at games = more revenue = better recruiting = better players = winning program.

    Guy Gadowsky did it, it’s entirely possible with the right person.

    You can throw all the money at a program like UAA and ours, if you don’t have someone leading it who is dedicated then you won’t be successful. Even Suze has mentioned UAA has been giving the coaching staff decent funding and they couldn’t do much with it.

    Stewart coaches the NAHL and wins in the NAHL. The fans that support the Ice Dogs are so different than the Nanook fan base. The environment is different. I don’t think Stewart could carry that level of success in to D1 hockey. Erik deserves a shot at the helm, just as I believe Lance did, even if he hadn’t served as interim.
    Guy never coached Juniors. He was coaching minor league pro with the Fresno Falcons of the West Coast Hockey League, which would later merge with the ECHL. Coincidentally, six years after Gadowsky left Fresno for Fairbanks, Matt Thomas (the now former UAA Coach) took over as head coach of the Falcons.

  15. #555
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    87

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    What happens to Lance now I wonder?

  16. #556

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    What happens to Lance now I wonder?
    He removed himself from consideration after the Brekke debacle. Can’t say I blame him. I’m sure he will pop up somewhere next season.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

    —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

  17. #557

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Guy never coached Juniors. He was coaching minor league pro with the Fresno Falcons of the West Coast Hockey League, which would later merge with the ECHL. Coincidentally, six years after Gadowsky left Fresno for Fairbanks, Matt Thomas (the now former UAA Coach) took over as head coach of the Falcons.
    Interesting; I never made that connection between Gadz and Thomas before. Interesting that Gadowsky had/has so much success in college while Thomas flopped. One of the knocks on Thomas was he didn’t have the skill set to run a college program compared to a pro team. Although Gadowsky started in Fairbanks about 18 years ago now...different time back then.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

    —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

  18. #558
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Interesting; I never made that connection between Gadz and Thomas before. Interesting that Gadowsky had/has so much success in college while Thomas flopped. One of the knocks on Thomas was he didn’t have the skill set to run a college program compared to a pro team. Although Gadowsky started in Fairbanks about 18 years ago now...different time back then.
    Gads never had his recruiting efforts submerged by the potential death of his program. It’s really a shame the effect that had on both Alaska progams. Not fair to either Matt or Dallas.

  19. #559
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Interesting; I never made that connection between Gadz and Thomas before. Interesting that Gadowsky had/has so much success in college while Thomas flopped. One of the knocks on Thomas was he didn’t have the skill set to run a college program compared to a pro team. Although Gadowsky started in Fairbanks about 18 years ago now...different time back then.
    Thomas was sub .500 in the ECHL.

  20. #560
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,397
    Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Thomas was sub .500 in the ECHL.
    He was 342-225-80 for a .564 winning percentage and never had a season under .500

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •