SCSU snipes anpother one.
      5-3 SCSU with 3 min left.

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Empty netter
        Final 6-3 SCSU

Comment

I didn’t have much in the way of expectations playing at St. Cloud, but they better do some soul searching tonight. Proof is in the pudding...you can’t go up 3-rip on the road and lay off the gas.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

The defense just disappeared. Like most, my expectations weren’t high but they must have gotten too comfortable with that lead. Hoping to see more of the same type of play from the first period in tomorrow’s game.

Comment

The boys played hard.
              The Nooks could skate with them, but SCSU had a higher skill level. Their passing was step above ours.
              We were too tentative after going up 3-0, but SCSU also just picked up there game.
              Our defense didn't disappear, but we looked tired in the third, just like we did against Air Force in the third. Conditioning?
              The major penalty (which was both a 4 on 3 or 5 on 4) didn't help matters, even tho we only gave up one goal.
              Martinsson played well. He got beat with quality shots. Nothing soft.
              Get'em tonight boys.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Heart breaking 4-5 OT loss to SCSU Saturday night. Not because we are a better team, but because the boys played their butts off and had the chance to beat a better team with about 90 seconds left on the clock. Not happy with moral victories, but the boys played a good weekend of hockey. Martinsson was very good again.

SCSU has some real snipers but what set them apart from the Nooks was their quick passes and puck movement. The Nooks were just as fast as SCSU, but there was a big difference in decision making with the puck, especially in the o-zone. SCSU made very quick passes before our D could close the gap, which somewhat froze our defensemen and had us chasing the puck all weekend. Their first pass was not intended to lead to a direct scoring opportunity, that was usually the third or fourth pass. It seems the Nooks held the puck too long which lead to poor and telegraphed passes.

But overall, Martinsson and the Nooks played well but just got beat by a better team. Next up is UAA. Mantha better be on his game. The Nooks are winless and hungry, and Seawolf taste like chicken.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Coach should probably sit Frye out Friday night. Taking cheap 5 minute majors in third periods in close games is no way to show leadership.

Comment

Ranked #30 PairWise I don't know their formula, but hey I'll take 30 http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      Coach should probably sit Frye out Friday night. Taking cheap 5 minute majors in third periods in close games is no way to show leadership.
                      The penalty of Friday was BS, in my opinion. Not the smartest move, but not worth the 5 minute major. Was watching the game and the SCSU player went in the boards pretty sloppy, I don't think Frye expected him to fly in to the boards the way he did. They didn't show the aftermath but the announcers said the kid jumped up and went to retaliate so I think it just looked worse than it really was.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
                        Ranked #30 PairWise I don't know their formula, but hey I'll take 30 http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/
                        Yeah, it's still early but I am happy with the effort being put out there by the team. Considering we've played the #1 and #2 teams in the Pairwise and kept the games relatively close aside from a crappy 3rd period this Friday, I expect we start to see the positive results they've been working towards. (Hopefully this week against UAA!)

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                          Yeah, it's still early but I am happy with the effort being put out there by the team. Considering we've played the #1 and #2 teams in the Pairwise and kept the games relatively close aside from a crappy 3rd period this Friday, I expect we start to see the positive results they've been working towards. (Hopefully this week against UAA!)
                          Was good to see forwards scoring. Really like Hoper, Janny and Herdt's play especially on Saturday night. Team battled hard. Was resilient despite being the "lesser" team per TV announcers. Liked the physical play. Would like to see more particularly as we match up against super skilled teams. All in all, respectable weekend. A win would have been icing on the cake. Came very close... just wasn't in the cards.

If we can continue to elevate our play, I really like our chances in the conference.

Comment

I like strong physical play when it is in the corners or in the crease tying up your man. The “finishing the check” physical play is a fan favorite but it also takes you out of the ensuing play and often results in unnecessary penalties. Strong checks are ok when appropriate, but to take a stride or two to finish the check when the puck is obviously gone is not where the game is headed (imho). BS or not we take too many boarding and interference calls. We have potential to be a pretty good transition team, but you need to focus on the transition and not try to show the other team how tough you are. Frye is a hot head and started making ill advised hits the last couple of years. That needs to stop. He has hurt the team’s chances for success a number of times. He also contributes to their success and we need him, but we need him to play smart. He has good skills.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                              I like strong physical play when it is in the corners or in the crease tying up your man. The “finishing the check” physical play is a fan favorite but it also takes you out of the ensuing play and often results in unnecessary penalties. Strong checks are ok when appropriate, but to take a stride or two to finish the check when the puck is obviously gone is not where the game is headed (imho). BS or not we take too many boarding and interference calls. We have potential to be a pretty good transition team, but you need to focus on the transition and not try to show the other team how tough you are. Frye is a hot head and started making ill advised hits the last couple of years. That needs to stop. He has hurt the team’s chances for success a number of times. He also contributes to their success and we need him, but we need him to play smart. He has good skills.
                              I agree, but I feel like he's gotten better with controlling his hot-headedness compared to past years (Im gonna say this weekend was a fluke for him haha). I feel like Vieth is becoming the same type of player as Frye though. I get nervous when he's on the ice. I do feel like it's been awhile though since we've had the kind of player who has taken on the big brute role like Czuy or Voros. I guess there was Erickson but he was of a smaller stature so it didn't feel the same
                              Last edited by UAFIceAngel; 10-16-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Moral victories aside, 0-3-1 is not where you want to be to start the season. In many respects I’m more disappointed with the Air Force series than I am St. Cloud. The Air Force games were the types of games you just have to win when you’re playing at home. Against SCSU I think we actually did a good job forcing them to respond to our game, not the other way around, particularly on Saturday and in a tough road environment all weekend.

Regarding Frye, it’s tough when the major misconducts happen because he is more of an impact player than Erickson was. It’s easy as a fan to say he should knock it off, but at this point my biggest concern with him is reputation penalties.

The UAA games this weekend seem like a crapshoot...both of these teams are (or should be) desperate for a W.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X