Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley University 2017-18: Can I get an "AMEN!" from the congregation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Can you post a list of incoming freshman like you did last season, TTS?

I agree about a full season in the new arena. I heard that all three home games in Delifice last month were sell outs; what a change from the JAR!
    How's the food in the new place? Tigers should be visiting for two, maybe four and I'll need to make dinner plans 😁
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Re: Bentley University 2017-18: Can I get an "AMEN!" from the congregation?

How about something like "Bentley 2018-2019 season thread: Good bye JAR, welcome DeFelice Rink"?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        How about something like "Bentley 2018-2019 season thread: Good bye JAR, welcome DeFelice Rink"?
        Love it! But I think it should be "Bentley Arena" , deFelice rink is just the ice surface.

Maybe: Bentley University Falcons 2018-19: Goodbye JAR, hello Bentley Arena

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

• Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
          Love it! But I think it should be "Bentley Arena" , deFelice rink is just the ice surface.

Maybe: Bentley University Falcons 2018-19: Goodbye JAR, hello Bentley Arena
          That sounds good, TTS. I have noticed that most schools have an off-season thread. But, because we do not get a lot of traffic here, I wonder if we should keep this thread going through the summer, posting some summaries about whom we losing with thank you's to seniors, and about whom will be coming in, as you mentioned earlier? Then, we can copy over to the new 2018-2019 season thread any important background posts from this thread?
          Last edited by Snively65; 04-08-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

That sounds good, TTS. I have noticed that most schools have an off-season thread. But, because we do not get a lot of traffic here, I wonder if we should keep this thread going through the summer, posting some summaries about whom we losing with thank you's to seniors, and about whom will be coming in, as you mentioned earlier? Then, we can copy over to the new 2018-2019 season thread any important background posts from this thread?
            I think that makes a lot of sense. Good call Snively! I'm busy studying for a FINRA exam for work the next two weeks, so there might be some delay before the summaries are up!

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

• Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
              I think that makes a lot of sense. Good call Snively! I'm busy studying for a FINRA exam for work the next two weeks, so there might be some delay before the summaries are up!
              Good luck with your exam, TTS. Yes, two weeks sounds good to me, too.

Comment

Bentley's new arena named most environmentally sustainable in the nation; received LEED Platinum rating.

http://www.asumag.com/green-design-b...latinum-rating
                Last edited by Snively65; 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Oh, well. I will need to wait until next October to see my first game in DeFelice Rink.
                  Been a long time since someone asked the congregation for an 'Amen!' You out there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
                    Been a long time since someone asked the congregation for an 'Amen!' You out there?
                    That is Reverend Schiegs' title. :-)

We are also waiting for TTS to post his assessment of the incoming 2018-19 recruits.

Comment

UVM thread noted that their just graduated senior forward Drew Best will be playing as a fifth year grad student at Bentley this year.

Comment

Another first.

http://bentleyfalcons.com/sports/mic...20180624wa82ht
                        Bentley University Hockey
                        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

• Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                          Jakov Novak only Atlantic Hockey player drafted by NHL this year. Love his attitude; willing to play all four years, unless the Senators want to pull him out early. :-)

Comment

That is Reverend Schiegs' title. :-)

We are also waiting for TTS to post his assessment of the incoming 2018-19 recruits.
                            Goodness gracious, I apologize! Completely slipped my mind. Summer as an alumni is a little less conducive for long write ups then summers as a student

Bentley did do a nice write up on their page that I can publish here.

Drew Best (F, Univ. of Vermont): Best is a graduate transfer from UVM who will be eligible this season. Prior to heading to Vermont, he played two seasons in the USHL with both Green Bay and Omaha, where he notched a combined scoring line of 14-33-47. Best also played a season with Surrey in the BCHL, where he was among the team's leading scorers with a 16-30-46 line and helped the team win the RBC Cup as the Canadian Junior national champions. He is from Plymouth, Michigan.

Will Garin (F, Brooks Bandits, AJHL): Helped lead Brooks to the 2017-18 AJHL playoffs with 15 goals and 17 assists in just 32 games. Continued to be productive in the postseason as he led the Bandits in scoring with six goals and six assists as the team made the conference finals. Prior to joining the Bandits, Garin spent the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons in the USHL. He is from Mound, Minnesota.

Sam Kauppila (F, St, Lawrence University): Kauppila transferred to Bentley after his freshman year at St. Lawrence in 2016-17, and will be eligible this season. He played his junior hockey in the USHL with both Green Bay and Lincoln, where he suited up in over 100 games over two seasons with those clubs. Sam is the younger brother of current Falcon Jake Kauppila and is from Gurnee, Illinois.

Fraser Kirk (G, Newmarket Hurricanes, OJHL): Kirk was voted the OJHL's 2017-18 Goalie of the Year and was a finalist for the Canadian Junior National Goalie of the Year award. He posted the league's second best goals against average (1.86) and second most wins (27). His play was just as strong in the postseason with a 1.84 GAA and .937 save percentage in 13 games to lead the league. That was his first full season for the Hurricanes after he joined them midway through the 2016-17 season. Kirk is from Burlington, Ontario.

Jakov Novak (F, Janesville Jets, NAHL): Novak had a monster 2017-18 for Janesville that saw him named the NAHL's Most Valuable Player and the Forward of the Year. The Riverside, Ontario native was also named first team All-NAHL, and both the Midwest Division's MVP and Forward of the Year. Novak led all NAHL players during the regular season in points (73), goals (32) and plus/minus (+41), while leading the Jets to the divisional playoffs where he tallied a further 4 goals and 6 assists to bring his season totals to 36-47-83. Novak was listed in the NHL Central Scouting's Final Draft Rankings for the 2018 NHL Draft.

Luke Orysiuk (D, Janesville Jets, NAHL): Orysiuk was one of just two defensemen in the NAHL last season to earn first team All-NAHL honors after he racked up 13 goals and 26 points in 60 regular season games, in addition to being a +28. Fairbanks' team captain, he was also named the league's Midwest Division Defenseman of the Year and All-Midwest Division, while leading the Ice Dogs to a league high 45 regular season wins. Orysiuk is from Edmonton, Alberta.

Dylan Pitera (F, Culver Academy, Prep): Pitera led Culver to one of the best seasons in school history as they ended the year as the No. 1 ranked prep team by USA Hockey with a 43-4-1 record. He was the team's leading scorer with 44 goals and 33 assists for 77 points. The 44 goals broke the school's single-season record. He is from Culver, Indiana.

Ethan Roswell (D, Junior Bruins, NCDC): Played one season for the Junior Bruins in the NCDC and was team captain. Helped lead the squad to the league playoffs and totaled 6 goals and 14 assists combined in the regular and postseason. Played prep hockey at Cushing Academy. Roswell is from Paradise Valley, Arizona.

Will Schlagenhauf (F, Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL): Played most of last season with Muskegon in the USHL where he had 10 points in 31 games. Began the season with Topeka in the NAHL, and had nine goals and 16 assists in 27 games before he made the jump to Muskegon. Also played for Topeka in 2016-17 and had an impressive year with 9 goals and 22 points as the team's 4th leading scorer. He is from Carmel, Indiana.

Brendan Walkom (F, Madison Capitals, USHL): Walkom suited up in 53 games for Madison in the USHL last season with four goals and 14 assists and played a pivotal role in all situations for the Capitals. The previous season he played for Amarillo in the NAHL and was the team's 3rd leading scorer with 20 goals and 14 assists for 34 in 58 games. He is from Moon Township, Pennsylvania.

Obviously Novak is the exciting story here, becoming the first Bentley Falcon to be drafted into the NHL! But there is some real talent aside from him on this list. Including Jake Kauppila's brother, Sam and the aforementioned Drew Best from UVM. Goalie Frasier Kirk is someone to really keep an eye on and could challenge Pelino for starts right from the get go. Two additional prospects from the USHL (something usually above our recruiting level) show that Bentley is for real. All in all a great recruting class, maybe Bentley's best. This is just year one after the new rink was built, and most of these guys committed before it was done. I can't wait to see what the future of this program look like!

This class has some big shoes to fill. Jayson Argue was at one of the best goalies in Bentley history and did a great job making moving on from Branden Komm a little easier. I will never forget the Northeastern series in October of 2015. One of, if not the most exciting hockey game I've ever been at in person. Argue made 50+ saves including some physics defying game savers late to steal the game from NEU at Matthews. Then put up another 40+ saves the next night to complete the sweep in front of one of the most raucous, sold out crowds in the JAR's history. Argue had a flair for the dramatic, coming up with jaw dropping saves at the key moments, late in games time and time again. Injuries seemed to slow what was a meteoric rise, but Argue finishes as one of Bentley's greatest keepers.

Kyle Schmidt was not only one of the greatest scorers in Bentley history (120 points) but provided leadership and incredible play making abilities across his four years. Along with Andrew McDonald and Ryan McMurphy, they formed what was one of my favorite lines in recent memory. The three stuck together on again and off again for all four years and attacked with a speed and grittiness that was unmatched. McDonald is a real "what if" story as injuries robbed him of significant playing time throughout his career. When he was on he brought an energy to the ice that was unmatched. McMurphy is a similar story, with injuries derailing a line that had great chemistry from day one.
                            Chris Buchanan was a rock on D who played a very physical and very passionate game. Moving the puck well and providing countless booming hits, his presence on that back end will surely be missed. Matt Sieckhaus contributed all four years and came through in the clutch for some big goals.

All in all, a memorable class who hold the honor of christening Bentley Arena. Thank you all for everything you did for Bentley!
                            Last edited by The Top Shelf; 06-25-2018, 09:41 AM.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

And just like that... the 2018-2019 schedule! http://www.bentleyfalcons.com/sports...18-19/schedule

FOUR home OOC games! Harvard, UMass Lowell, Merrimack and Dartmouth all return visits to Bentley Arena. Trips for the Falcons to Conte (a first!) and UNH!

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Thanks for posting schedule and incoming player write ups, TTS. And, very nice tribute to our recently graduated seniors. Less than four months to first game!

Comment

Working...
                                X