• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That's Neat! 1: That's neat

What killed men's hats?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      He's obviously neurotic. Maybe his parents died in a mountaineering accident and he subconsciously feels that if he can just hang by his fingertips long enough they'll be restored to him.

So, he's super f-cked up in the head, which is bad, but it makes for a moment's passing entertainment for me, so that's good.
      So he's frogurt purchased from a dark Chinese trinket shop?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So, he's super f-cked up in the head, which is bad, but it makes for a moment's passing entertainment for me, so that's good.
        he has a pretty amazing ability to keep calm when he's putting himself out there. He might as well be on the moon when he's half way up El Cap solo; he's on his own and he keeps his cool when other climbers, even some of the best professionals in the world, would be ****ting their pants (https://www.outsideonline.com/219030...solo-scared-me) even though this climb was well below their technical climbing ability. I read his autobiography "Alone on the Wall" about a year ago (an autographed copy was my thank-you gift for my yearly donation to the Access Fund). He's a very interesting and intelligent person. As he started getting more lucrative endorsement deals and other income streams (books, climbing films), he continued to live in a van (which he did upgrade) and started a charitable foundation and also started saving for 'retirement' because he says he doesn't plan to do this forever (I think he still has a few decades left as a sponsored athlete if he fully transitions away from free soloing, if he doesn't walk away from this now he will eventually die doing it -- the only way to top this is to climb an even harder el cap route sans rope)

Comment

Your AAA map of the Roman Empire c. 125 AD.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/06/a...bway-maps.html
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            So he's frogurt purchased from a dark Chinese trinket shop?
            Oblique Monkey's Paw reference?
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oblique Monkey's Paw reference?
              I didn't think it that oblique of a reference, but yes, it is.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Today (in the Northeast at least) is the earliest sunrise of the year.

A week from today is the day with the longest amount of daylight hours.

A week after that is the latest sunset of the year.

To me, at least, it is "neat" that it happens this way.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Today (in the Northeast at least) is the earliest sunrise of the year.

A week from today is the day with the longest amount of daylight hours.

A week after that is the latest sunset of the year.

To me, at least, it is "neat" that it happens this way.
                  That is neat.

Is the day with the earliest sunrise the same for all points in the hemisphere or does it vary by latitude?

Why isn't the procession of sunrise and sunset symmetrical?

Where's our godd-mned USCHO pet astrophysicist?
                  Cornell University

Comment

That is neat.

Is the day with the earliest sunrise the same for all points in the hemisphere or does it vary by latitude?

Where's our godd-mned USCHO pet astrophysicist?
                    In part, I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the globe not being a perfect sphere - it's wider at the equator than it is between poles. It's conjecture on my part, but otherwise it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Comment

That is neat.

It varies by latitude.

Short answer: because the earth's orbit is elliptical and because the earth is tilted on its axis. The rest is math.

At the northern hemisphere's summer solstice, the earth is actually further away from the sun than at the northern hemisphere's winter solstice, which is why summers in Australia tend to be hotter than summers in the US at comparable latitudes away from the equator.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Remember those Choose Your Own Adventure books from the 80s and 90s? These maps are how those books are laid out.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...adventure-maps

I remember these, and it seemed like I always died or met a dead end on Page 57.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

It varies by latitude.

Short answer: because the earth's orbit is elliptical and because the earth is tilted on its axis. The rest is math.

At the northern hemisphere's summer solstice, the earth is actually further away from the sun than at the northern hemisphere's winter solstice, which is why summers in Australia tend to be hotter than summers in the US at comparable latitudes away from the equator.
                          I do understand all that. I am asking something different: (1) is the earliest sunrise the same for all points in the hemisphere (given that the actual time of the sunrise is different, pulling in as you approach the equator), and (2) why do the precession of sunrise and sunset not vary symmetrically -- i.e., why is the date of the earliest sunrise not also the date of the latest sunset?

The answer to the former is, I'm pretty sure, yes.

The latter is a real head-scratcher. It may have to do with axial tilt, but I'm having a hard time creating a mental model that behaves according to actuals.
                          Cornell University

Comment

The latter is a real head-scratcher. It may have to do with axial tilt, but I'm having a hard time creating a mental model that behaves according to actuals.

oh, well. I don't recall where I copied this information from. The mirror image happens at the winter solstice; earliest sunset happens before and latest sunrise happens after, so you need to make the appropriate adjustments in the text that follows for the summer solstice, with earliest sunrise and latest sunset....

Why doesn’t the earliest sunset come on the shortest day?
                            The December solstice marks the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and longest day in the Southern Hemisphere. But the earliest sunset – or earliest sunrise if you’re south of the equator – happens before the December solstice. Many people notice this, and ask about it.

The key to understanding the earliest sunset is not to focus on the time of sunset or sunrise. The key is to focus on what is called true solar noon – the time of day that the sun reaches its highest point, in its journey across your sky.

In early December, true solar noon comes nearly 10 minutes earlier by the clock than it does at the solstice around December 22. With true noon coming later on the solstice, so will the sunrise and sunset times.

It’s this discrepancy between clock time and sun time that causes the Northern Hemisphere’s earliest sunset and the Southern Hemisphere’s earliest sunrise to precede the December solstice.

The discrepancy occurs primarily because of the tilt of the Earth’s axis. A secondary but another contributing factor to this discrepancy between clock noon and sun noon comes from the Earth’s elliptical – oblong – orbit around the sun. The Earth’s orbit is not a perfect circle, and when we’re closest to the sun, our world moves fastest in orbit. Our closest point to the sun – or perihelion – comes in early January. So we are moving fastest in orbit around now, slightly faster than our average speed of about 30 kilometers (18.5 miles) per second. The discrepancy between sun time and clock time is greater around the December solstice than the June solstice because we’re nearer the sun at this time of year.

The precise date of the earliest sunset depends on your latitude. At mid-northern latitudes, it comes in early December each year. [underline was italics in original quote; bolding was added by me in response to the questions]

Comment

Another thing that I think is really "neat."

Metro-North Railroad uses the terms "catenary" and "pantograph" routinely in its communications with riders and actually expects them to know what they mean. And most of us actually do....at least in summer, when heat causes the catenary to sag even more, increasing the risk that the pantograph will create a bulge in one of them and then get snagged and cause a breakdown.

Comment

Another thing that I think is really "neat."

Metro-North Railroad uses the terms "catenary" and "pantograph" routinely in its communications with riders and actually expects them to know what they mean. And most of us actually do....at least in summer, when heat causes the catenary to sag even more, increasing the risk that the pantograph will create a bulge in one of them and then get snagged and cause a breakdown.
                                That is neat.

y = cosh(x), baby.

which leads to something else that is so neat it blows the top of your head off:

"The area under the curve of cosh(x) over a finite interval is always equal to the arc length corresponding to that interval."

There is absolutely no reason why that should be true -- the measures aren't even in the same units! It's just a sort of freaking miracle, like Euler's Formula.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X