Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holy Cross Joining Hockey East For 2018-2019 Season

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    ARM, Holy Cross isn't using it in any other context, they are using it in the context of the fking Crusades. Come on.
    Is their mascot something with military connotations? If so, then I think you're right that they should change their name.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      Yes, it is identical. To argue otherwise is to say that these other cultures, who actually have a presence in most American states, including Massachusetts, don't matter.
      If we focus entirely on the Crusades, then I agree. I think the word itself -- all "holy" wars aside -- is actually a decent fit for what a sports team might want to symbolize. You'll never sell me on identical or if and only if, so let's agree to disagree there.

Really, we should probably get rid of all military type mascots, because there was always somebody on the other side of the combat. Warriors, Spartans, Trojans, etc.

The safest thing is to pick out a rodent for a name, and then pick a different species to model your mascot after.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I was growing up in the 70s, so when I hear Crusaders, I think of the jazz group.
        Exactly, I still have a number of their albums on vinyl...
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Is their mascot something with military connotations? If so, then I think you're right that they should change their name.
          .......................Yes.

Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Jihadists aren't troops from an organized army, they are singular or very small groups who kill others, both combatant and non-combatants, indiscriminately by killing themselves in the process. I'm sure the Crusaders did kill non-combatants, as has virtually any and all armies of the past had, but the primary goal was to defeat an enemy in an organized pitched battle, to drive them out of a geographic area, not pull a cord in their vest and kill 20 people buying produce with no hope of that event winning a war. All the Jihadists want to do is die killing someone they think is the enemy and go to heaven. That's not what the Crusaders were.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              .......................Yes.

Okay -- although that mascot looks more like a Teletubby.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Jihadists aren't troops from an organized army, they are singular or very small groups who kill others, both combatant and non-combatants, indiscriminately by killing themselves in the process. I'm sure the Crusaders did kill non-combatants, as has virtually any and all armies of the past had, but the primary goal was to defeat an enemy in an organized pitched battle, to drive them out of a geographic area, not pull a cord in their vest and kill 20 people buying produce with no hope of that event winning a war. All the Jihadists want to do is die killing someone they think is the enemy and go to heaven. That's not what the Crusaders were.
                Oh my God.

Yeah with all due respect I'm bowing out of this argument.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

You need to read up on what the Popes of the day "promised" those who died fighting for the Crusade.

And somehow, holding swords over the "non believers" until they swore their allegiance to Christianity is pretty darn similar to what Jihadist do today.

Read your history.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    You need to read up on what the Popes of the day "promised" those who died fighting for the Crusade.

And somehow, holding swords over the "non believers" until they swore their allegiance to Christianity is pretty darn similar to what Jihadist do today.

Read your history.
                    I think they killed more Christians (Eastern Church) than Muslims.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      I think they killed more Christians (Eastern Church) than Muslims.
                      Which is also a trait of the Jihadists -- they probably kill more Muslims (the whole Shiite vs. Sunni thing) than Christians.

More evidence to dispute those who think the Crusaders are not like the Jihadists.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        Which is also a trait of the Jihadists -- they probably kill more Muslims (the whole Shiite vs. Sunni thing) than Christians.

More evidence to dispute those who think the Crusaders are not like the Jihadists.
                        Deus vult!
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm sure the Crusaders did kill non-combatants . . .
                          That's one way to put it. The First Crusade massacred the Jewish and Muslim population of Jerusalem after the city fell to siege. The best estimates are that they killed more than 10,000 civilians.

. . . but the primary goal was to defeat an enemy in an organized pitched battle . . .
                          That would be news to the leaders of the Fourth Crusade, who were so dedicated to the primary goal of fighting a Muslim enemy in pitched battle that they decided to loot Constantinople and then, when the citizens objected, to besiege it and then sack the city. They again massacred the civilian population and destroyed churches and historical monuments in order to steal the wealth.

The Baltic Crusades were nothing but attempts to steal the land and extend Prussian control over what are now the states of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. There was little in the way of organized resistance until they tried to go farther east into the territory of Muscovy.

The less said about the Albigensian Crusade, the better.

It's important to understand that Pope Urban's primary motivation in calling for the First Crusade wasn't really to retake the Holy Land from the Turks. It was to create an endeavor that would take the bulk of the military aristocracy of Western Europe, who caused incredible destruction, and send the hooligans off to where they would be pillaging someone else for a while. There was nothing especially admirable about them.

You also rely on too narrow a definition of "jihadi." Aside from the non-military meanings of the word, it is used to describe a much wider concept of warrior than merely a terrorist. The Arabs who went to Afghanistan to fight the Soviets were so described, although many of them did go on to later become a part of al Qaeda. If we're discussing the period of the Crusades, "jihad" was used to describe the organized military forces that the crusaders were meeting in pitched battle.
                          Last edited by Eeyore; 10-20-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know how many full athletic scholarships the H.C. women's team has on this 2017-8 iteration ? How many they plan to issue in each subsequent year as they start the transition into the H.E. ? How many full scholarships do they plan to have on the team annually when they're fully ramped up ?

Comment

Working...
                            X