Holy Cross Joining Hockey East For 2018-2019 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Kind of jumping on the pc bandwagon. Most people I know in the HC community aren’t in favor or a name change. Hope they don’t change it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
      Kind of jumping on the pc bandwagon. Most people I know in the HC community aren’t in favor or a name change. Hope they don’t change it!
      To be fair, the Crusades were pretty terrible.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Re: Holy Cross Joining Hockey East For 2018-2019 Season

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        To be fair, the Crusades were pretty terrible.
        Oh they weren't that bad, might depend what side you were on

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          Oh they weren't that bad, might depend what side you were on
          Yeah no they were pretty bad lol

Comment

Calling your team the "Crusaders" is identical to calling it the "Jihadists." If and only if you'd be okay with the latter can you criticize anyone for jumping on the PC bandwagon here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              Calling your team the "Crusaders" is identical to calling it the "Jihadists." If and only if you'd be okay with the latter can you criticize anyone for jumping on the PC bandwagon here.
              What I am ok with is a private, Catholic school choosing their own name, and if they choose to keep Crusaders then so be it. Similar issues were raised a few years ago when they thought about changing the name of the student newspaper, The Crusader. It wasn’t changed.
              Besides, most people at HC call them the ‘Saders anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                As an alum, I like the idea of changing the name.
                "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Raging Rosaries...
                  Fighting Virgins...Or Fighting Nuns...
                  Mighty Mustard Seeds...
                  Bread Breakers...
                  Confessionals...
                  Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Calling your team the "Crusaders" is identical to calling it the "Jihadists."
                    "Identical" is a stretch. Crusade is a word that exists in our language for other purposes (e.g., Mom is on a crusade to get the family to eat healthier.) Yes, it does have bad connotations if you go back enough generations, and that might be a reason to change. But in a logic sense, your "if and only if" doesn't fly.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      "Identical" is a stretch. Crusade is a word that exists in our language for other purposes (e.g., Mom is on a crusade to get the family to eat healthier.) Yes, it does have bad connotations if you go back enough generations, and that might be a reason to change. But in a logic sense, your "if and only if" doesn't fly.
                      "Jihad" has other purposes in Muslim cultures, too, many of the same alternative meanings as "crusade" has in English. And saying that it has bad connotations if you go back far enough, and holding that in opposition to "jihad" ignores that the word "crusades" continues to have exactly those connotations in other cultures. Your argument rests upon considering the question only from the point of view of largely white, largely Christian people of European descent.

Yes, identical.
                      Last edited by Eeyore; 10-20-2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

"Identical" is a stretch. Crusade is a word that exists in our language for other purposes
                        Oh my God ARM you can't be serious with this take

Comment

Calling your team the "Crusaders" is identical to calling it the "Jihadists."
                          What a pile of crap.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Oh my God ARM you can't be serious with this take
                            Sure I can. You went to a Catholic school so you think of the Crusades. I was growing up in the 70s, so when I hear Crusaders, I think of the jazz group. I'm not saying I think it is a great name. It's just no worse than Fighting Irish, Fighting Illini, Lord Jeffs, or any other weird names that are out there that can be viewed as offensive to someone. PS -- slow down and use punctuation.

As for Eeyore, it is not identical, because we aren't talking about a Muslim culture or language, so jihadist is not used for other purposes in this context. Mathematically, identical means the same in every way.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Sure I can. You went to a Catholic school so you think of the Crusades. I was growing up in the 70s, so when I hear Crusaders, I think of the jazz group. I'm not saying I think it is a great name. It's just no worse than Fighting Irish, Fighting Illini, Lord Jeffs, or any other weird names that are out there that can be viewed as offensive to someone. PS -- slow down and use punctuation.

As for Eeyore, it is not identical, because we aren't talking about a Muslim culture or language, so jihadist is not used for other purposes in this context. Mathematically, identical means the same in every way.
                              ARM, Holy Cross isn't using it in any other context, they are using it in the context of the fking Crusades. Come on.

Comment

Yes, it is identical. To argue otherwise is to say that these other cultures, who actually have a presence in most American states, including Massachusetts, don't matter. It is an argument to ignorance, that because Americans don't understand other cultures, that they are absolved from the consequences of what they say. There is no difference between Holy Cross calling themselves the Crusaders and a high school in Dearborn, MI or Paterson, NJ calling themselves the Jihadists.

Edit: Also, language isn't mathematics, so citing a mathematical definition of "identical" is irrelevant.
                                Last edited by Eeyore; 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X