2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
    Schedule with game times, ticket, and TV information (including the 4 nations cup):
    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...-national-team

Speaking of Olympic ice, it's a little surprising to me that for the game in the Twin Cities they're playing at Xcel instead of 3Mariucci. You'd think the chance to get in a little time on the bigger ice, as well as the smaller capacity, would have made it a better fit than playing in at NHL arena where at least half the seats will be empty.
    Marrucci seats 10,000 XL 18,000 and if it is as it has been for previous games the crowd will be in the teens. We love the game here and support it.

Comment

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
      I could me misspeaking here, but I don't believe the Olympics play on Olympic-size ice sheet any more. The men went to the NHL size rinks a few cycles ago, and just assume that the women did the same.
      They play on NHL sized rinks when the Olympics are in North America, and the international size when the Games are elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        Marrucci seats 10,000 XL 18,000 and if it is as it has been for previous games the crowd will be in the teens. We love the game here and support it.
        Really, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'd think a crowd of 10k would still be plenty impressive for this game, and I'd be pretty surprised if the X opens up anything beyond the lower level.

Looking at ticketmaster last night, the middle of the rink was getting pretty filled, but the corners and ends were still essentially empty, and they weren't selling tickets for anything in the upper levels. I suppose that could change dramatically in the next month - I don't know how well it's being advertised up there, and I only discovered the game was happening last night - that seems a little optimistic to me.

Comment

https://***********/usahockey/status/924304918097272832

Cayla Barnes was called up to the USWNT and will redshirt the rest of the season.

BC claims she will maintain her 4 years of eligibility.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            https://***********/usahockey/status/924304918097272832

Cayla Barnes was called up to the USWNT and will redshirt the rest of the season.

I haven't been paying much attention; did somebody get hurt, or cut?

(From what (little) I understand about redshirt rules, she should be fine.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              I haven't been paying much attention; did somebody get hurt, or cut?

(From what (little) I understand about redshirt rules, she should be fine.)
              This may be a wake up call to some veterans on the roster. The last game was full of big mistakes and a lack of team defense.

Comment

Would this mean that if a player gets cut late in the year, they could come back and finish the season with their college team while retaining a redshirt? That could really get Timmy wound up. If it's the case that you can play a part of a season with your college team and then leave by choice, rather than injury, and take a redshirt, it's a screwed up rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  Would this mean that if a player gets cut late in the year, they could come back and finish the season with their college team while retaining a redshirt? That could really get Timmy wound up. If it's the case that you can play a part of a season with your college team and then leave by choice, rather than injury, and take a redshirt, it's a screwed up rule.
                  No I am definitely positive you can't come back after the fact and keep your redshirt. I think the difference here is that her leaving for the rest of the season was an unforeseen circumstance. Coming back before the season was over means that you're continuing your season.

I think there's a certain percentage of games threshold that has to be met for you to petition for the redshirt. And then you can't return that season, period.
                  Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 10-28-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

No I am definitely positive you can't come back after the fact and keep your redshirt. I think the difference here is that her leaving for the rest of the season was an unforeseen circumstance. Coming back before the season was over means that you're continuing your season.
                    Categorizing this as an "unforeseen circumstance" is an abuse of language. It implies that it isn't a circumstance over which you had complete control; Barnes has chosen to leave BC for the rest of the year.

Comment

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

I think there's a certain percentage of games threshold that has to be met for you to petition for the redshirt. And then you can't return that season, period.
                      This is the first time I've ever heard of a player leaving for a non-injury/medical reason after playing games and retaining eligibility in women's hockey. I suppose the rule has been on the books for a while, but it is rather strange.

There are now like 9 D listed on the roster. What happens if Barnes gets cut? Does she come back to BC? If not, there is a good likelihood that she makes the Olympic team in 2022, and would then finish her BC career in 2023. That's a long span of a career (10/2017 to 03/2023) w/o involving injury.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        Categorizing this as an "unforeseen circumstance" is an abuse of language. It implies that it isn't a circumstance over which you had complete control; Barnes has chosen to leave BC for the rest of the year.
                        Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        This is the first time I've ever heard of a player leaving for a non-injury/medical reason after playing games and retaining eligibility in women's hockey. I suppose the rule has been on the books for a while, but it is rather strange.
                        I don't disagree with you guys at all -- it seems weird to me and to be perfectly honest I'm not entirely positive the BC people I spoke to have it right, but they would know better than me.

BC's original news release said she withdrew from school and would restart her freshman year "both academically and athletically" in September 2018. I reached out to athletics and they seemed pretty sure about it. Obviously it's good for her and for BC if that's the case but if it was another school I'd be pretty mad about it... lol

There are now like 9 D listed on the roster. What happens if Barnes gets cut? Does she come back to BC?
                        She can't, she withdrew from school (as I would imagine Flanagan and Keller have done as well). Which would mean that if BC is wrong (and, again, I'm sure they know the rules a lot better than I do) and they apply for a redshirt and don't get it, she won't even be able to come back and finish the season as a consolation prize because she's not even a student.

If not, there is a good likelihood that she makes the Olympic team in 2022, and would then finish her BC career in 2023. That's a long span of a career (10/2017 to 03/2023) w/o involving injury.
                        Yeah it's just a bizarre situation. I feel like I had to deal with Poulin for like 30 years of my life because she did that at BU, and we'll have that with Potomak The Younger too, but neither of them actually started their first year.

It's definitely not a situation I've ever heard of.
                        Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 10-28-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

That's a long span of a career (10/2017 to 03/2023) w/o involving injury.
                          Essentially the same as Pankowski, except for the added wrinkle of starting Freshman year and then 'withdrawing'.

Comment

She can't, she withdrew from school (as I would imagine Flanagan and Keller have done as well). Which would mean that if BC is wrong (and, again, I'm sure they know the rules a lot better than I do) and they apply for a redshirt and don't get it, she won't even be able to come back and finish the season as a consolation prize because she's not even a student.
                            That almost sounds like Harvard where Pucci and Gedman had to withdraw from school to retain eligibility when they were injured. It was a school rule for Harvard; is it for BC as well? Kind of sounds parallel to the deal where you get married and have a dozen kids but then get an annulment, and hey, you were never married! I don't really mind, but if my team had played BC w/ Barnes and got swept and then other teams don't have to face her, I'd think it was a raw deal.

I feel like I had to deal with Poulin for like 30 years of my life because she did that at BU, and we'll have that with Potomak The Younger too, but neither of them actually started their first year.
                            Frost did say a few weeks ago that it is not a foregone conclusion that Amy Potomak would sit out the second semester if Canada cuts her because of this whole situation. The Gophers are far enough off the radar that I doubt it would change much, but having seen 2010 and the difference that having Larocque made to UMD -- and she didn't even have her best 1/2 season -- who knows what impact Olympic comings and goings can make.

robertearle, Back in 2002, both Julie Chu and Krissy Wendell were in Pankowski's position, and in the case of Wendell, she'd also been centralized the season before (Team USA had a two-year centralization so that they could form a power team and win every game -- except the only one that really mattered.) Chu did her second Olympics before returning to deny Sara Bauer her second Kaz' (unfairly IMO), while Wendell already had her AARP card, so she got married instead of playing a 4th NCAA season.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

That almost sounds like Harvard where Pucci and Gedman had to withdraw from school to retain eligibility when they were injured. It was a school rule for Harvard; is it for BC as well?
                              I don't know of many schools that require you to officially withdraw if you just intend to skip a semester or two. However, that may be what she needs to do if she's going to drop out eight weeks into a semester (BC classes started on Aug 28). That's usually too late drop a class without it showing up on your transcript, and taking that many incompletes can be a real problem, even if your professors will grant one.

Comment

Frost did say a few weeks ago that it is not a foregone conclusion that Amy Potomak would sit out the second semester if Canada cuts her because of this whole situation.
                                When are cuts going to happen? If it's before the 2nd semester starts, that'll be interesting to see. She'd have to re-enroll in classes at the start of the semester to be able to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X