Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 221

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    He's also American -- he has dual citizenship. And he has been an assistant coach for US national teams in the past.
    And in the end, it doesn't matter.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    If memory serves there was a previous article written about the Brandt sisters, but this one's brand new, having just been published in today's StarTribune:

    Seoul sisters
    http://www.startribune.com/seoul-sis...ams/431432173/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    The USA and Canadian women face off in their first meeting leading up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, today at 2:00pm ET. The game will be televised live on the NHL Network. Should be some great hockey!

    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rrer_id=695820
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,572
    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    The USA and Canadian women face off in their first meeting leading up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, today at 2:00pm ET. The game will be televised live on the NHL Network. Should be some great hockey!

    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rrer_id=695820
    They'll probably pick up the TSN feed, so say hi to tOSU grad and daughter of a Techer, Tessa Bonhomme.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,575

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    The USA and Canadian women face off in their first meeting leading up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, today at 2:00pm ET. The game will be televised live on the NHL Network. Should be some great hockey!

    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rrer_id=695820
    FINAL: Canada 2 Canada's pants 5

    Where are all those geniuses that whined about Stauber being the coach? Tim?

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,572
    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    FINAL: Canada 2 Canada's pants 5

    Where are all those geniuses that whined about Stauber being the coach? Tim?
    Canada only has to win the last game to call it a successful vs. USA series. The USA has the same issue and the 1,000 lb monkey on its back.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,575

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Canada only has to win the last game to call it a successful vs. USA series. The USA has the same issue and the 1,000 lb monkey on its back.
    No doubt but given what I have seen of Canada's fans, particularly their behaviour in Plymouth this spring, my guess is their coach may not be given a chance at that lsat game if the team plays like this again soon.

    BTW - NHL network is going to replay the game at 7:30 EDT in case you missed it & want to see
    Last edited by ne7minder; 10-22-2017 at 07:13 PM.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    The two teams play an entirely different style, and that's coaching. It's only one game, but it's clear the Americans' emphasis on puck possession is serving them well...so far.

    I really enjoy watching women's hockey played at the highest level, like we saw today. As the Olympics approach and each team's systems are refined, the level of intensity on both sides will only ratchet up further, which for all of us women's hockey fans will make it even more fun to watch .
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,572
    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    The two teams play an entirely different style, and that's coaching. It's only one game, but it's clear the Americans' emphasis on puck possession is serving them well...so far.

    I really enjoy watching women's hockey played at the highest level, like we saw today. As the Olympics approach and each team's systems are refined, the level of intensity on both sides will only ratchet up further, which for all of us women's hockey fans will make it even more fun to watch .
    USA reminds me of the Soviets. Regroup until you can spring the attack.

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    USA reminds me of the Soviets. Regroup until you can spring the attack.
    I was thinking the same. The similarity would be even greater if they could draw their opponent in a little more, only to spring a crafty forward (or two) getting open and in for a breakaway (or a two on one).
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fairbnks, AK
    Posts
    89

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    In the Olympic year, when a player is selected to the Olympic team, do they get an "Olympic Pass" on their eligibility with the NCAA? I would imagine this to be true and that they would not have to burn a red shirt year for this correct?

    With that asked, which players will return and what year will they be in upon that return.

    I apologize if this has already been discussed.

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,572
    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    In the Olympic year, when a player is selected to the Olympic team, do they get an "Olympic Pass" on their eligibility with the NCAA? I would imagine this to be true and that they would not have to burn a red shirt year for this correct?

    With that asked, which players will return and what year will they be in upon that return.

    I apologize if this has already been discussed.
    Yep. But if the team wins, the NCAA players cannot appear on the Wheaties box.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,575

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    USA reminds me of the Soviets. Regroup until you can spring the attack.
    There are two things I remember about the old Red Army team (an my memory may be faulty, it has proven to be so before). One was that they never had as many SOG as you would expect an elite team to have yet they had more goals. I would love to see an 'efficiency' number, the ratio of shots per goal. If I am right their numbers would be really low. The other was the impression that they didn't so much shoot as they passed the puck into the net. I remember watching them play 'tic-tac-toe' with the puck & thinking the poor goalies must have felt like they were stuck in a pinball machine with multiple balls in play.

    The very best womens teams, like US & Canada, do that same thing. Great movement from side to side. I'd want my pads strapped down tight & probably a couple of dramamine before the game!

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,397

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    There are two things I remember about the old Red Army team (an my memory may be faulty, it has proven to be so before). One was that they never had as many SOG as you would expect an elite team to have yet they had more goals. I would love to see an 'efficiency' number, the ratio of shots per goal. If I am right their numbers would be really low. The other was the impression that they didn't so much shoot as they passed the puck into the net. I remember watching them play 'tic-tac-toe' with the puck & thinking the poor goalies must have felt like they were stuck in a pinball machine with multiple balls in play.
    Indeed, they shot less than North American teams, and shot less hard. Ice hockey became a serious sport in the Soviet Union after World War II, an era of extreme austerity. Anatoli Tarasov, tasked with creating Central Red Army and the national team, had to come up with systems for winning with teams that couldn't afford to replace broken sticks. So, no slapshots. Tarasov also found the passing style to be aesthetically pleasing. Combined with grueling drills and training methods unheard of for hockey teams elsewhere, it produced a very different style.

    It's also worth noting that personality-wise, Tarasov was almost the exact opposite of his successor Viktor Tikhonov. He demanded everything from his players, but he had a sense of humor and took an interest in them off the ice, too.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    207

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Indeed, they shot less than North American teams, and shot less hard. Ice hockey became a serious sport in the Soviet Union after World War II, an era of extreme austerity. Anatoli Tarasov, tasked with creating Central Red Army and the national team, had to come up with systems for winning with teams that couldn't afford to replace broken sticks. So, no slapshots. Tarasov also found the passing style to be aesthetically pleasing. Combined with grueling drills and training methods unheard of for hockey teams elsewhere, it produced a very different style.

    It's also worth noting that personality-wise, Tarasov was almost the exact opposite of his successor Viktor Tikhonov. He demanded everything from his players, but he had a sense of humor and took an interest in them off the ice, too.
    One aspect of the 1980 US Olympic team that allowed them to stay with the Russians was their stamina. Because of their youth, and because of Herb's insistence on conditioning, they pulled away from each of their opponents, including the Soviets, in the third period. They trailed after two periods in more than half of their Olympic games, but caught and passed everyone (well, except for the Swedes).

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    The opening game of "The Time is Now Tour" will be televised by the NHL Network this Wednesday at 7:30pm ET.

    Looking at the full schedule, the following four games will unfortunately require a paid streaming subscription to "HockeyTV". Obviously this cannot possibly help build a wider audience for women's hockey leading up to the Olympics.

    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...nted-by-toyota
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,307

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    One aspect of the 1980 US Olympic team that allowed them to stay with the Russians was their stamina. Because of their youth, and because of Herb's insistence on conditioning, they pulled away from each of their opponents, including the Soviets, in the third period. They trailed after two periods in more than half of their Olympic games, but caught and passed everyone (well, except for the Swedes).
    This is a very important observation. That difference between two teams can create results as different as night and day.

    Allow me to share a story as an example.

    Many years ago I was “involved” with a women’s elite soccer team for four years…age level 13 thru 16 over the four years.. This was the most magical sports team that I have ever witnessed on a personal level. For four years there were only 2 or 3 changes/temporary additions to the line up with the additions being somewhat less capable than the core players and for the most part they didn’t play much.

    The core players, meaning virtually all of the players, were elite caliber but in addition to that they all got along phenomenally well and socialized together with never an argument…very good friends on and off the pitch…17 players…one mind. Dynamic synergism when added to top level ability in virtually every player created, what I remember often thinking, something akin to a religious experience as one watched them play.

    In addition they were extremely well coached and the coach was a fanatic about conditioning…extremely serious conditioning.

    The first year, not yet having been together more than a couple of months, they went to the Schwann’s mini tournament in Blaine, Mn. because the deadline for the regular full blown tournament had passed. They didn’t fare overly well…only played 3 games (short weekend tournament) and were 1-1-1 as I recall…one game was vs. a team from Alaska…talk about a road trip for that team!

    Apart from that mini tournament this team, as you’ve similarly mentioned in your comment, might have their opponents play level with them for the first half but the second half was the half of champions and as their opponents faded they continued on cruise control.

    The following year they entered the Schwann’s regular tournament and blew everyone away and played, oddly enough considering that there were teams from all over the planet, in the Championship Game against a team from Saskatchewan (neighbours)…and crushed them 5-0...the play wasn’t even close.

    (Regular season record over four seasons 84-2...not counting playoffs, International Tournaments such as Schwann’s and National Championship Tournament appearances). And these tournaments such as Schwann’s were always viewed as tune ups for the National Championship Tournament…they had to plan well in advance.

    Here’s what I was impressed with the most.

    The third year they entered a tournament in Denver for which the team arrived two days before their first game…the significance of which was not lost on us but it was what it was. They made it thru to the Championship Game vs. the Colorado Selects and I ended up standing among the Denver team’s parents during that game. As the game went on the change in the attitude of those parents was priceless entertainment indeed…going from total confidence, almost arrogance, that their team was going to win even before the game had begun (I think they were the tournament favourites, if I recall) to questioning what was going on on the field because their team wasn‘t dominating ours as they had expected and assumed would happen…to “where’s that other team from?”…”you ever heard of them before?”…“they’re from…where?”…As in “how can a team that we have never hear of before be making this an anybody’s game kind of a game with our kids?” But their was more to their thinking process.

    The anguish of their endless unanswered questions became too much so I thought I would help them out by answering some of them. Several parents gathered around to join in the conversation when they realized that I was from the other team, as play on the field continued, and they ended up telling me that it was unheard of for any non local team to play anywhere near this well, at altitude, without first having had at least a week to acclimate themselves to the reduced availability of oxygen. They were literally in shock when I told them that the team had arrived two days before their first game. (They were probably thinking “what could this team do to our team if it wasn’t playing with this huge handicap?”).

    Anyway, it was a very close game, anybody’s game, and the Colorado team managed a goal in the second half and ended up winning the Championship Game 1-0.

    At the final whistle about half a dozen of our players literally collapsed onto the ground, our players having suffered from oxygen deprivation for at least half the game. Watching the game it was obvious that they were all suffering tremendously but they played on with fierce determination. After the game, in addition to the comments from the Colorado parents, the respect on their faces and on the faces of their players was incredulous. And it eerily overwhelmed their victory.

    This is what conditioning can accomplish.

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,307

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    The opening game of "The Time is Now Tour" will be televised by the NHL Network this Wednesday at 7:30pm ET.

    Looking at the full schedule, the following four games will unfortunately require a paid streaming subscription to "HockeyTV". Obviously this cannot possibly help build a wider audience for women's hockey leading up to the Olympics.

    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...nted-by-toyota

    The teams also play Dec. 3 in St. Paul, Minn., Dec. 5 in Winnipeg, Dec. 15 in San Jose, Calif., and Dec. 17 in Edmonton.

  19. #79

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,572

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    So we play the Canadians 6x on NHL ice. Who has the advantage on Olympic ice??

  20. #80
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

    FINAL: USA 1 USA's pants 5

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •