2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

After a scoreless overtime period USA wins 4-3 in a shootout and will advance to the Gold Medal game.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      After a scoreless overtime period USA wins 4-3 in a shootout and will advance to the Gold Medal game.
      Typical Canadian women's coaching style. Shorten the bench all tournament and burn out the top players. When the time comes to defend a lead they are gassed. See the same at the NCAA level on teams with Canadian coaches (especially women coaches who were or are part of TC). Canada and the USA have a big advantage over the other nations and that is depth. When its not used this is the typical result, blow a 2 goal lead late in the third.

Not to be forgotten, the US beat Canada very handily in the round robin so I am ok with the shootout win for the US as they already had the other win. If the US had lost the shootout, it was possible they could play the entire tournament without a regulation/overtime loss and never had a chance to play for gold. That would have been nuts.

The good news for the US is Canada has not won any women's tournament (U18, World Championship) that the US has entered since the last Olympics. I wonder if this is a changing of the guard? The best young players appear to be American.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
        Typical Canadian women's coaching style. Shorten the bench all tournament and burn out the top players. When the time comes to defend a lead they are gassed. See the same at the NCAA level on teams with Canadian coaches (especially women coaches who were or are part of TC). Canada and the USA have a big advantage over the other nations and that is depth. When its not used this is the typical result, blow a 2 goal lead late in the third.

Not to be forgotten, the US beat Canada very handily in the round robin so I am ok with the shootout win for the US as they already had the other win. If the US had lost the shootout, it was possible they could play the entire tournament without a regulation/overtime loss and never had a chance to play for gold. That would have been nuts.

The good news for the US is Canada has not won any women's tournament (U18, World Championship) that the US has entered since the last Olympics. I wonder if this is a changing of the guard? The best young players appear to be American.
        Agree with you and Pokechecker that this is a messed up tournament format that played perfectly to the scenario were the US was in danger of not playing for the Gold despite being the best team (not so much today however) in the tournament. Canada did play well today and you have to wonder why this wasn't seen from them in earlier games. Really bad officiating seems like just what is the norm for women's hockey. Kind of did Canada in ultimately although I can't say I'm feeling too sorry for them.
        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-12-2018, 01:59 PM.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

So if the US and Canada happened to draw each other on the first day of the tournament, that's it, one of them plays for relegation. That's a better tournament format?
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            So if the US and Canada happened to draw each other on the first day of the tournament, that's it, one of them plays for relegation. That's a better tournament format?
            you have heard of seeding, correct?

even without seeding, it is still a better format than the Euro version of a tournament, so what if the best two teams meet in the first round (or before the final), the one that prevails deserves to move on to the next opponent, why should the loser get a second crack at them and the previous game result be thrown out?

If you want to give teams a second chance, make it double elimination.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              Really bad officiating seems like just what is the norm for women's hockey. Kind of did Canada in ultimately although I can't say I'm feeling to sorry for them.
              I'm not one who normally complains about the officiating, but in all honesty this was one of the worst officiated games that I've seen. It seemed like every time an American skater fell to the ice, oftentimes during a normal battle for the puck, or when there was true incidental contact, the referee would call a penalty on the Canadian player. Starting at roughly the middle of the 2nd period, through overtime, Canada got whistled for seven consecutive penalties vs. none for the USA. Although I can't say I felt sorry for the Canadians either, it just didn't seem right.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                you have heard of seeding, correct?
                Yes. That's why they play a preliminary round to determine that.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  Yes. That's why they play a preliminary round to determine that.
                  Wait...No taking the Lord's name in vain in a post? You're not going soft on the maizerage bit, are you? Or is it a New Years resolution thing?
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The ref should be in jail after that game #lockherup

The bogus and dumb "delay of game" penalty called on the canadian player whose shot was deflected by an american stick and into the crowd in the last minute of regulation was just criminal. same with the 4 v 3 penalty in OT. #lockherup

In other events, team canada women coaching staff still can't coach. what else is new. this is what happens when "former national team members" are given priority (who suck at coaching) over those who are 1000000x more qualified and better at coaching. I'm so done with hiring "former national team players" like Gina Kingsbury as director of hockey operations and the head coaches of the u-18 and national development teams who are "former national team players" who have no clue how to coach. the blown 2-goal lead by canada in the third period was so expected and possibly the easiest blown 2-goal lead ever that i have seen in women's hockey, save sochi maybe.

matt desrosiers, who is 1000000x more qualified to coach the national development team, was relegated to that of lowly assistant coach answering to some head coach that was not even a fraction qualified to be coaching at that level, some CWHL player who at some point played on team canada. The team finished a horrible 5th.

"Former national team players" should not be given positions just because they are "former national team players". It is so sad that coaching talent will remain hidden in many pockets of the country because of culture of entitlement.

After Shea Tiley and Marlene Boissonault, Canada's goaltenders at this level are no longer reliable. they cannot stand on their heads to steal a win anymore.

what qualifies Gina Kingsbury to be in her role with hockey canada?

Comment

[QUOTE=dd17;6585042]

/QUOTE]

exactly, more than that Canada also lost to Russia, after losing two games they did not deserve to be in the gold medal game
                      this too is what IMO is such a farce about the Olympics

Comment

• Ugh. If this were a prize fight the ref would stop it as "unable to respond".

To ARM, again I am sorry for posting here but at least it was a break from whining about Stauber for a couple of days.

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                          To ARM, again I am sorry for posting here but at least it was a break from whining about Stauber for a couple of days.
                          Team USA plays today and Monday against the NWHL. The Stauber conversation can start again!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            To ARM, again I am sorry for posting here ...
                            No problem. Once the discussion is taking place here, it's better to have it here than spread out all over.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                              The ref should be in jail after that game #lockherup

The bogus and dumb "delay of game" penalty called on the canadian player whose shot was deflected by an american stick and into the crowd in the last minute of regulation was just criminal. same with the 4 v 3 penalty in OT. #lockherup

In other events, team canada women coaching staff still can't coach. what else is new. this is what happens when "former national team members" are given priority (who suck at coaching) over those who are 1000000x more qualified and better at coaching. I'm so done with hiring "former national team players" like Gina Kingsbury as director of hockey operations and the head coaches of the u-18 and national development teams who are "former national team players" who have no clue how to coach. the blown 2-goal lead by canada in the third period was so expected and possibly the easiest blown 2-goal lead ever that i have seen in women's hockey, save sochi maybe.

matt desrosiers, who is 1000000x more qualified to coach the national development team, was relegated to that of lowly assistant coach answering to some head coach that was not even a fraction qualified to be coaching at that level, some CWHL player who at some point played on team canada. The team finished a horrible 5th.

"Former national team players" should not be given positions just because they are "former national team players". It is so sad that coaching talent will remain hidden in many pockets of the country because of culture of entitlement.

After Shea Tiley and Marlene Boissonault, Canada's goaltenders at this level are no longer reliable. they cannot stand on their heads to steal a win anymore.

what qualifies Gina Kingsbury to be in her role with hockey canada?
                              Having inexperienced women coach womens hockey is the new thing. Comes down from the top. Isn't your Prime Minister a feminist too?

Great players dont always make great coaches. Grinders make better coaches. Ask Wayne Gretzky.

Last years U22 team had Muzerall from Ohio as the offensive coach. She was offensive all right as they never scored a goal losing to Finland. I believe a number of team Canada players complained up top about her. Nothing like a coach that always blames the players, not the terrible systems they put in place or playing the same players for over half the game.

Agree, 2x NCAA national womens champion Matt Desrosiers absolutely deserves the chance to head coach. What else can he do to prove he should be running the ship? 4 years and counting without a gold is too much.

Comment

Article on former Minnesota-Duluth standout Sidney and her road to making the USA Olympic Team.

Given a second chance, Chanhassen native Sidney Morin competes in the Olympics
                                http://www.swnewsmedia.com/chanhasse...4283401c6.html

Comment

Working...
                                X