2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Canada's roster is out. Looks like no Potomak, no Kryczaniak (apologize for the spelling) and no Hart.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      Canada's roster is out. Looks like no Potomak, no Kryczaniak (apologize for the spelling) and no Hart.
      The Potomak sisters got locked out, interesting.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        The only egregious item I recall was Chu on and Pankowski off.
        Lyndsey Fry over Brandt or Skarupa...
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Take the players that were cut from the US and Canadian teams during this process and make two teams of those players and there's your Bronze medal game. In other words the rest of the world still has a long way to go to catch up. I just hope women's hockey remains an Olympic sport for a long time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
            OK, but as I said, look at the facts of what's been going on Tony.

1) US women boycott, win boycott, go on to win Worlds on home ice in front of sold-out crowd (something USA Hockey didn't expect)
            2) US women win first game against Canada 5-2. Lose next one, 5-1, Cayla Barnes brought in, US win Four Nations Cup, sweeping all games, including two against Canada.
            3) US women were told of centralization plan well in advance. Was supposed to be one team.
            4) USA Hockey/Stauber break centralization promise, add Skarupa and Morin, Stauber says "Something is Missing" despite US winning Four Nations with two wins over Canada
            5) US goes 0-4 against Canada since additions. Despite this, Stauber states "These call-ups have added something that was missing, and made us better."

In what universe do 4 and 5 make sense given 1-3? Your team is humming along, has great chemistry, has beaten its biggest rival in the last three tournaments, and right after sweeping the Four Nations the coach decides to add players and make the existing ones compete in some sort of Hunger Games for their spot, right after SWEEPING Canada. They've gone 0-4 since the additions, but Stauber doggedly states the additions have been crucial and made the team better.

Regarding better, again I ask, better at what? Losing?
            Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
            There is....a LOT more. I promised my sources not to say too much at this time, but Stauber has lost many, if not most of this team.
            There's a huge, huge difference between "the coach has lost the team" to "the coach is sabotaging things." Coaches lose teams all the time.

Not only that, but this team isn't exactly not talented. They cut one of their best players. They still have like two dozen others. At the absolute worst, their chances to win gold are, what, 10% worse now? What purpose does it serve USA Hockey to try and get "Revenge" on the players by making them have a 40% chance of winning gold rather than 50%?

It is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, FAR more likely that Stauber lost the team and cut players that he thought didn't buy in to his (probably bad) way of doing things, rather than some kind of petty, not-all-that-effective-anyway "sabotaging" of their chances to win gold.

I get that everyone's mad, but a coach making a stupid, unpopular decision is not evidence of them trying to intentionally lose. This stuff happens every day in every sport.

And PS, there's no benefit to USA Hockey here to sabotage the team. Do you really think them winning silver one time after winning gold in all those World Championships the last 4 years is going to give them an excuse to reneg on the agreement made with the players? You guys aren't looking at this with a clear head.
            Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 12-22-2017, 04:25 PM.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              There hasn’t been this much controversy since Herb Brooks picked his 1980 team.
              If this D3 Flatulenceburgh coach is so great, why hasn’t one of the D1 schools hired him?
              Does anybody know what happened to Klee or are we just going with he was fired?
              Haven’t they won both the tournaments they have been in with Stauber as the head coach?
              Another brilliant post by peckerchecker. If you can't see or figure out why he has chosen to stay where he is then you really are as dumb as everyone here says you are. Being a D1 coach doesn't mean you're better or smarter than a D3 coach and vice versa, so D1 is not the end-all-be-all measuring stick, not that anyone expects you to understand that either.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                Take the players that were cut from the US and Canadian teams during this process and make two teams of those players and there's your Bronze medal game. In other words the rest of the world still has a long way to go to catch up. I just hope women's hockey remains an Olympic sport for a long time to come.
                I will repeat: do not sleep on the Finns.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  There's a huge, huge difference between "the coach has lost the team" to "the coach is sabotaging things." Coaches lose teams all the time.

Not only that, but this team isn't exactly not talented. They cut one of their best players. They still have like two dozen others. At the absolute worst, their chances to win gold are, what, 10% worse now? What purpose does it serve USA Hockey to try and get "Revenge" on the players by making them have a 40% chance of winning gold rather than 50%?

It is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, FAR more likely that Stauber lost the team and cut players that he thought didn't buy in to his (probably bad) way of doing things, rather than some kind of petty, not-all-that-effective-anyway "sabotaging" or their chances to win gold.

I get that everyone's mad, but a coach making a stupid, unpopular decision is not evidence of them trying to intentionally lose. This stuff happens every day in every sport.

And PS, there's no benefit to USA Hockey here to sabotage the team. Do you really think them winning silver one time after winning gold in all those World Championships the last 4 years is going to give them an excuse to reneg on the agreement made with the players? You guys aren't looking at this with a clear head.

Agree with this; They got the agreement after winning a bunch of Worlds and gagging in the Olympics. Twice. So if the brass was going to make that argument about "not winning the big one" it was there to be made six months ago.....there's no reason they'd wait till after Feb. '18.

I think Carpenter's better than some of the players that will be on the team.....but I think they're so **** close to Canada that the game's going to be a coin toss anyway. After the last two they're due to get one bounce to go their way. And if they don't, it'll be because it wasn't their day against a really similar opponent...not because they weren't good enough or were sabotaged. I know that's a pretty luke warm thing but I think its accurate

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

The view from 1399 miles away.......with all those BC players on that team, cutting Carpenter is a majorly provocative move.

Bozek with the Minnesota players is not like Carpenter with the BC players. It seems to me the BC players must be saying "Are you f...... kidding me?".

But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Let’s be frank about USAHockey and the women’s program, they don’t care. You guys talk about USAHockey making decisions as if they are some big committee of geniuses sitting behind the curtain making grand policy calls. Get real. All the the decisions about the women’s program are made by Regan Carey, a D3 player who got the job by virtue of saying “yes.” By all outward appearances she was the one who fired Ken Klee to take the team in “ a different direction.” I believe at the time he had won 3 World Championships, so I’m unclear what that new direction is. She replaced him with Stauber who has never been a head coach. USAHockey administration never gets involved unless the situation escalates and it makes them look bad. When the team threatened not to go to Worlds, USAHockey tried to replace them, as if finding a comparable talent pool was an easy thing to do. Think they got that wrong too. USAHockey was forced into an agreement and then tried to take credit for advancing the Womens game.

No one has made mention on why the Lams were missing from the roster for many of the Canadien series games as well as the boys games in Florida. Both the Lams and Bozak were suspended for “insubordination.” It might have something to do with the girls questioning the lack of a strength and conditioning coach and other promises not kept. That’s when Stauber decided to shake things up. He got called out in some way and acted like who he is, an individual who has no coaching experienced and marginal maturity. He channeled his U16 boys coach right down to the bag skates. Perhaps the fable of the emperor having no clothes is a fitting analogy. Stauber and the Lams, Smith and Granado, the parallels couldn’t be any more similar. Women aren’t allowed to have opinions and if they do, they will be put in their place.

Comment

Originally posted by twointhebox View Post
                        Let’s be frank about USAHockey and the women’s program, they don’t care. You guys talk about USAHockey making decisions as if they are some big committee of geniuses sitting behind the curtain making grand policy calls. Get real. All the the decisions about the women’s program are made by Regan Carey, a D3 player who got the job by virtue of saying “yes.” By all outward appearances she was the one who fired Ken Klee to take the team in “ a different direction.” I believe at the time he had won 3 World Championships, so I’m unclear what that new direction is. She replaced him with Stauber who has never been a head coach. USAHockey administration never gets involved unless the situation escalates and it makes them look bad. When the team threatened not to go to Worlds, USAHockey tried to replace them, as if finding a comparable talent pool was an easy thing to do. Think they got that wrong too. USAHockey was forced into an agreement and then tried to take credit for advancing the Womens game.

No one has made mention on why the Lams were missing from the roster for many of the Canadien series games as well as the boys games in Florida. Both the Lams and Bozak were suspended for “insubordination.” It might have something to do with the girls questioning the lack of a strength and conditioning coach and other promises not kept. That’s when Stauber decided to shake things up. He got called out in some way and acted like who he is, an individual who has no coaching experienced and marginal maturity. He channeled his U16 boys coach right down to the bag skates. Perhaps the fable of the emperor having no clothes is a fitting analogy. Stauber and the Lams, Smith and Granado, the parallels couldn’t be any more similar. Women aren’t allowed to have opinions and if they do, they will be put in their place.
                        And yet the Lams are on the roster. He could have cut them if he wanted; people were almost expecting to see them cut. So.... what?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          And yet the Lams are on the roster. He could have cut them if he wanted; people were almost expecting to see them cut. So.... what?
                          It pains me to say this but I do think the team is better with both of them on the roster.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            It pains me to say this but I do think the team is better with both of them on the roster.
                            This is somewhat unrelated but I just saw a commercial with Monique and Jocelyn Lameroux sitting on either side of Hilary Knight arguing about what to watch on TV. It was a commercial for XFinity and the Winter Olympics. Knight eventually gets up and goes to another room to use her iPad. Somewhat amusing but I was thinking about the timing of the commercial given the roster announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Difference makers !!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                                This is somewhat unrelated but I just saw a commercial with Monique and Jocelyn Lameroux sitting on either side of Hilary Knight arguing about what to watch on TV. It was a commercial for XFinity and the Winter Olympics. Knight eventually gets up and goes to another room to use her iPad. Somewhat amusing but I was thinking about the timing of the commercial given the roster announcement.
                                Yup, the first time I saw that commercial was the same day the roster cuts leaked. It definitely struck me as interesting timing

Comment

Working...
                                X