Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    There hasn’t been this much controversy since Herb Brooks picked his 1980 team.
    If this D3 Flatulenceburgh coach is so great, why hasn’t one of the D1 schools hired him?
    Does anybody know what happened to Klee or are we just going with he was fired?
    Haven’t they won both the tournaments they have been in with Stauber as the head coach?
    And that's instructive in some ways. Compare what Brooks did to what Stauber is doing. Brooks felt his players were complacent and said he was going to bring in Tim Harrer. The players revolted and stood up to Brooks, who decided not to bring in Harrer and then cut Ralph Cox and Jack Hughes to finalize the roster.

Stauber by contrast keeps adding players to the roster right after the U.S. has a dominant performance in the Four Nations Cup. He says these new additions "bring something that's missing." All I can ask is, "What was missing, losses?" The team had one loss to Canada prior to the additions, and is 0-4 since.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arafel View Post
      And that's instructive in some ways. Compare what Brooks did to what Stauber is doing. Brooks felt his players were complacent and said he was going to bring in Tim Harrer. The players revolted and stood up to Brooks, who decided not to bring in Harrer and then cut Ralph Cox and Jack Hughes to finalize the roster.

Stauber by contrast keeps adding players to the roster right after the U.S. has a dominant performance in the Four Nations Cup. He says these new additions "bring something that's missing." All I can ask is, "What was missing, losses?" The team had one loss to Canada prior to the additions, and is 0-4 since.
      I am not understanding the conspiracy theory here. Head Coach Stauber is trying to lose? Is that the argument?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I don't think college coaches are a problem. The players on the team are already either in college or post college, so what agenda do they have that is screwing the team? They failed under Stone and Johnson, but all the game and player management and player skill evaluation experience is a huge asset. I'd take either one of those again over Stauber just based on that alone.
        I think what he's referring to is that many people feel that Stone took players from Harvard that otherwise would have had no chance at making the team so that she could bolster her recruiting by bragging about how many Olympians Harvard had.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          I am not understanding the conspiracy theory here. Head Coach Stauber is trying to lose? Is that the argument?
          Peripherally. What I have heard rumblings about is that USA Hockey is not happy with how much egg they had on their faces after the successful player boycott in March. After the women won that fight, and then won the Worlds, and then followed that up with a dominant performance in the Four Nations Cup, USA Hockey doesn't want them to win the Olympics.

USA Hockey wants to knock the women down a peg. The Olympics are the biggest stage. What better way to do it and then be able to justify cutting player salaries, e.g. "You still can't win when it matters."
          "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
            Peripherally. What I have heard rumblings about is that USA Hockey is not happy with how much egg they had on their faces after the successful player boycott in March. After the women won that fight, and then won the Worlds, and then followed that up with a dominant performance in the Four Nations Cup, USA Hockey doesn't want them to win the Olympics.

USA Hockey wants to knock the women down a peg. The Olympics are the biggest stage. What better way to do it and then be able to justify cutting player salaries, e.g. "You still can't win when it matters."
            I know we have our differences but this is such a dumb argument, come on.

FWIW (almost nothing) one of the players I spoke with who definitely has incentive to think this would have to do with the boycott said this has, quote, "nothing to do with the boycott whatsoever."

EDIT: Hanlon's Razor.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by Arafel View Post

Hmm. Well, it is interesting to say the least. I appreciate your explanation. I struggle to see a head coach being in on such a thing, though. They are, literally, on the same team as the girls.

I think my greatest issue has been the abandonment of a stated process, by adding one and then two players, late in the game. Coaches and programs sell a process to their players. Presumably, players buy in. When the coaches/program abandon a process it breaks trust that has been established, and distracts from their common goal. As someone astutely pointed out on Twitter, if USA loses, they will blame the girls only. And that sucks, because this process had to have been challenging for the girls, but it is leadership who is responsible for it.

The girls very well may win in South Korea. They were close games, the last four. Nonetheless - Skarupa, Morin, and Barnes are going without the full centralization experience. That is just dumb, there’s no other way to put it.

As far Carpenter not making it, I am more inclined to think it’s just politics. Every player has people in their corner. This year, Carpenter didn’t have enough in her corner I guess. It is weird of course, you’d think there would be room without all the Harvard people Stone brought along last time.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

FWIW (almost nothing) one of the players I spoke with who definitely has incentive to think this would have to do with the boycott said this has, quote, "nothing to do with the boycott whatsoever."

OK, but as I said, look at the facts of what's been going on Tony.

1) US women boycott, win boycott, go on to win Worlds on home ice in front of sold-out crowd (something USA Hockey didn't expect)
                2) US women win first game against Canada 5-2. Lose next one, 5-1, Cayla Barnes brought in, US win Four Nations Cup, sweeping all games, including two against Canada.
                3) US women were told of centralization plan well in advance. Was supposed to be one team.
                4) USA Hockey/Stauber break centralization promise, add Skarupa and Morin, Stauber says "Something is Missing" despite US winning Four Nations with two wins over Canada
                5) US goes 0-4 against Canada since additions. Despite this, Stauber states "These call-ups have added something that was missing, and made us better."

In what universe do 4 and 5 make sense given 1-3? Your team is humming along, has great chemistry, has beaten its biggest rival in the last three tournaments, and right after sweeping the Four Nations the coach decides to add players and make the existing ones compete in some sort of Hunger Games for their spot, right after SWEEPING Canada. They've gone 0-4 since the additions, but Stauber doggedly states the additions have been crucial and made the team better.

Regarding better, again I ask, better at what? Losing?

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

Nothing USA Hockey does surprises me. Nothing.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Nothing USA Hockey does surprises me. Nothing.
                    Agreed. Surprises, never. Disappoints, absolutely!

Comment

In what universe do 4 and 5 make sense given 1-3?
                      One with incompetent people.

Comment

Ultimately, it comes down to what shelfit said...If they win gold then all the second guessing will really not matter. Anything else, it's open season.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I think my greatest issue has been the abandonment of a stated process, by adding one and then two players, late in the game. .
                          This is true, but equally true is that if the players are so fragile that they cannot deal with adversity, then maybe they are not gold medal material. Athletics is, after all, about overcoming adversity.
                          I get what you are saying though, notwithstanding Hanlon’s Razor, but sometimes the best laid plans go awry, sticking with the plan if there is a problem with it is as stupid as not sticking with a plan that is working.
                          We don’t really know why they brought in three new players and cut three that have impressive resumes of accomplishment. And we may never know. But don’t stop anybody from advancing conspiracy theories, we need something to entertain us before the games begin.

I thought the purpose of The Time Is Now was to increase interest in women's hockey.
                          Then I saw one of the games, boring!!!
                          It is ironic that what goes on away from the ice gets more attention and interest than what happens on the ice.
                          or is it?

Comment

The more I think on this, the more I wonder if this isn't some sort of retribution for the boycott in March. If not, it's just utter incompetence from Stauber. It makes no sense on the face of it. Look at the facts:

- U.S. defeats Canada and wins women's worlds in April, bringing new attention to game after successful player boycott
                            - U.S. sweeps Canada twice and also defeats Sweden and Finland in Four Nations Cup early November, looks dominant.
                            - Stauber announces player additions shortly thereafter, rumors of players all being on edge.
                            - U.S. hasn't defeated Canada since.

I'm beginning to think there is a lot more going on.
                            There is....a LOT more. I promised my sources not to say too much at this time, but Stauber has lost many, if not most of this team.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              I think what he's referring to is that many people feel that Stone took players from Harvard that otherwise would have had no chance at making the team so that she could bolster her recruiting by bragging about how many Olympians Harvard had.
                              The only egregious item I recall was Chu on and Pankowski off.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I think my greatest issue has been the abandonment of a stated process, by adding one and then two players, late in the game. Coaches and programs sell a process to their players. Presumably, players buy in. When the coaches/program abandon a process it breaks trust that has been established, and distracts from their common goal. As someone astutely pointed out on Twitter, if USA loses, they will blame the girls only. And that sucks, because this process had to have been challenging for the girls, but it is leadership who is responsible for it.
                                I agree 100%.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X