Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    In theory, I agree with everything that you've said. However, having watched some of the games, the U.S. defensemen are having enough problems trying to defend 85 feet of width. I'm afraid they'll be exposed to an even greater extent on an Olympic sheet.
    There might be some truth there, however, I believe it will increase the distance between players and open passing lanes that are not open at 85’. The main problem IMO is that most of the US D (in fact every one) are highly skilled players who are used to having the puck on their stick and that is their tendency, to carry when pressure is put on them rather than pass. The extra width should help them when they carry the puck, but hopefully the extra width will open a few passing lanes so they don’t have to.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    The problems look to come in all type of varieties. Barnes is mobile and will be great some day, but for now, she looks not quite ready for prime time, and occasionally has people blow by her on the outside while she gets caught flatfooted. Keller is a huge asset offensively, but she can also try to do too much and get stripped of the puck. Someone praised her backcheck last week, but you can't let Nurse just take the puck away from you in the first place when you're the last skater. I don't know what to think about Bellamy; her falling down while essentially standing with the puck at the start of OT in St. Paul was the kind of mistake that you rarely see in a HS game. Bozek isn't playing at the same level that she did four years ago. Maybe I'm being too hard on them, but I don't see the Canadian D having the same type of issues. I wish that our D would just make the simple, fundamental play, limit their mistakes, and not try to get too fancy. If we need our goaltender to be superior to the Canadian goalie to win, then I don't like our chances.
    when forwards cannot take the breakout pass to their backhand and make a backhand pass, but rather take the extra time to go to their forehand, the fundamental play is no longer fundamental, the defense will eliminate the option
    it isn't quite as bad at the international level as it is at the college level, but still, it is there

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      I'm having a hard time remembering the last time W played the Canadian Olympic team. Go up the middle a lot, did they?
      The US team when the opportunity presents itself has enough talent to play that way, on paper anyway. The extra 15' in width will only help the cause.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        The US team when the opportunity presents itself has enough talent to play that way, on paper anyway. The extra 15' in width will only help the cause.
        Clog the middle and make you go wide and then wider still. Pretty soon you have the puck in a different country and you're not a threat.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Pretty soon you have the puck in a different country and you're not a threat.
          But whatever you do just stay the heck out of North Korea!!! They will definitely treat you like you're a threat!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Yeah, they could incorporate the flying V formation into their breakout and have someone learn to shoot a knuckle puck, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpjiCv2jPdU
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
              But whatever you do just stay the heck out of North Korea!!! They will definitely treat you like you're a threat!
              I think if our team can work the puck into the offensive zone, and keep it out of the demilitarized zone, they should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                I think if our team can work the puck into the offensive zone, and keep it out of the demilitarized zone, they should be fine.
                As long as our team won't hesitate to sacrifice themselves and block those cannons and missiles coming from wherever...

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  As long as our team won't hesitate to sacrifice themselves and block those cannons and missiles coming from wherever...
                  If they don't, Carpenter will take them to the wood shed.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

A whole lot of humor on this thread. Very entertaining.
                    USA WOMENS HOCKEY

Comment

Not sure at this point who the bigger ice would benefit.

Comment

Final cuts are in: Bozak and Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by twointhebox View Post
                          Ouch, that has to really sting bad. To come so close...

Comment

• Originally posted by twointhebox View Post
                            What??
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              What??
                              This must be the "new direction" after firing Ken Klee. Trade in your experienced All Americams and Olympic experience. Best of luck

Comment

• Originally posted by twointhebox View Post
                                This must be the "new direction" after firing Ken Klee. Trade in your experienced All Americams and Olympic experience. Best of luck
                                Bring back Ben Smith! He's only about 70 years young! Hey as long as what's-his-name-the-goalie wins the final game of the upcoming Olympics his name won't be Mud! Silver or less, Mud it is!

Comment

Working...
                                X