2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Puck drops in about a half hour, televised on NBCSN. I know it's an exhibition, but I always enjoy watching these two teams go at it! Is having so many of the best players in the world on just two teams unique to women's hockey?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Great backcheck by Keller on Nurse (who looked like she was having trouble skating) but she then tripped her and should have been off for two.

Got lucky on that one.

Comment

That was definitely goaltender interference on Canada...
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

They did mention that Canada has been playing in a AAA Midget League, and it sure looks like it's paying off. Noticeably improved over the beginning of the exhibition series. USA looks like they've taken a step backwards, playing mostly from the perimeter when they do get it in the offensive zone.

Comment

As a Badger fan, I find these games highly confusing and conflicting.

Nurse scores... on Rigsby. Uhhh... Yay?
            Decker scores... on Desbiens. Or 'Yay' this time?
            Desbiens stones Knight, at close range. Oh, who know!!

Four or five players I really like are going home happy, and four or five are going home unhappy. Which outcome do I cheer for?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              They did mention that Canada has been playing in a AAA Midget League, and it sure looks like it's paying off. Noticeably improved over the beginning of the exhibition series. USA looks like they've taken a step backwards, playing mostly from the perimeter when they do get it in the offensive zone.
              USA has some work to do...Have em line up after the game and start doing Herbies.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                USA looks like they've taken a step backwards, playing mostly from the perimeter when they do get it in the offensive zone.
                Interestingly, Cheryl Pounder commented to Tessa Bonhomme between the 2nd and 3rd periods from the TSN studio that the US didn't look right and that "something might be going on in the dressing room", and then she made it clear that she did not know but that that was a possibility.

Prior to that, between the 1st and 2nd, she commented that "both teams have no jump in their step which is necessary if you" intend to win Olympic Gold...or something to that effect.

Canada seemed to have corrected that in the 2nd and 3rd of this game but maybe not so much for the US. But, then again, it's only one game.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  As a Badger fan, I find these games highly confusing and conflicting.

Nurse scores... on Rigsby. Uhhh... Yay?
                  Decker scores... on Desbiens. Or 'Yay' this time?
                  Desbiens stones Knight, at close range. Oh, who know!!

Four or five players I really like are going home happy, and four or five are going home unhappy. Which outcome do I cheer for?
                  I have the same feelings, but I have to root for USA!

I watched the 2nd half of the 2nd period and dvr'ed the 3rd. The US played so tentatively it was ridiculous playing wide and not slicing through the middle of the N zone with speed on the attack. Is the 3rd worth watching or just more of the 2nd?
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Is the 3rd worth watching or just more of the 2nd?
                    A few good flourishes but overall more of the same. Yes it was just "one game", but based on what we saw last night I believe you have to say the Americans look to be "the favorite" to win Silver in Sochi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      The US played so tentatively it was ridiculous playing wide and not slicing through the middle of the N zone with speed on the attack.
                      I don't know of any hockey teams at any level that are taught to "slice through the middle" of the neutral zone. That typically is not a pathway to successful offensive zone entry. But hey maybe you're onto something new....take the puck straight through the heart of the ice, sort of a go where the defending team least expects it approach, even though most of their 5 skaters will probably be somewhere in between the dots. Good strategy!
                      Last edited by shelfit; 12-16-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Aaannnd USA loses again. Based on 4 years ago, we have Canada right where we want them.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

USA closes out the year 5-5 against Canada. Despite winning all the hardware given out it is concerning.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            I don't know of any hockey teams at any level that are taught to "slice through the middle" of the neutral zone. That typically is not a pathway to successful offensive zone entry. But hey maybe you're onto something new....take the puck straight through the heart of the ice, sort of a go where the defending team least expects it approach, even though most of their 5 skaters will probably be somewhere in between the dots. Good strategy!
                            Yup, got that right. Go through the middle and learn why the play is constantly squeezed against the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Based on 4 years ago, we have Canada right where we want them.
                              Was thinking the same thing...the situation each team finds itself in at this point is about the opposite of where it found itself 4 years ago. Although the US is still in a better position (re: internal problems) than Canada was in back then.

Looked like Rooney lost site of the puck on the OT goal. She was looking to her left from where the puck had come while the puck was actually to her right in the open half of the crease.

It will be nice to see her back in net next season for UMD. Next season holds a lot of promise for them.

Comment

Are we bad now
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X