Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by twointhebox View Post
    Wow, what a naïve, sour grapes comment. Not so sure that your characterization of the National team as a clique or a slumber party flies on any level. The process is broken, but the women, no matter how they get there, sacrifice a great deal trying to achieve a Gold. You must not know any of them or are blinded by your own issues.
    If you need help in how to put people on the ignore list just ask we can help you with that.

Comment

A bombshell just got thrown into the Olympic competition. The Russian Olympic Committee was banned from the Pyongcheong games in response to its thorough subversion of drug testing in 2014 in Sochi. Individual athletes will be allowed to compete if they meet certain stringent requirements for testing, and they will do so under the Olympic flag and uniforms rather than those of Russia.

I have no idea how many of the women's hockey players will qualify under these standards. My completely uninformed guess is that those playing in Russia are going to have a hard time meeting them given the distrust of the testing there, but it's possible that they have some policies in place that the IOC would accept. I have no idea whether Russia will even be able to field a team, and I have no idea what changes will be made if they can't. Maybe a play in game between the final two teams eliminated in qualifying, the Czechs and the Germans? Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        A bombshell just got thrown into the Olympic competition. The Russian Olympic Committee was banned from the Pyongcheong games in response to its thorough subversion of drug testing in 2014 in Sochi. Individual athletes will be allowed to compete if they meet certain stringent requirements for testing, and they will do so under the Olympic flag and uniforms rather than those of Russia.

I have no idea how many of the women's hockey players will qualify under these standards. My completely uninformed guess is that those playing in Russia are going to have a hard time meeting them given the distrust of the testing there, but it's possible that they have some policies in place that the IOC would accept. I have no idea whether Russia will even be able to field a team, and I have no idea what changes will be made if they can't. Maybe a play in game between the final two teams eliminated in qualifying, the Czechs and the Germans? Who knows.
        The Russian men's team was the odds-on favorite to win Gold, whereas their women were very unlikely to even make the Bronze medal game. Even so, rest assured it's just as hard on the women as the men not being able to represent their country in the Olympics.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm under the impression that no Russian teams will be allowed to participate, and that it's only athletes that compete in individual (i.e. non-team) sports that will be given the opportunity to go.

I could be wrong though.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            The Russian men's team was the odds-on favorite to win Gold, whereas their women were very unlikely to even make the Bronze medal game. Even so, rest assured it's just as hard on the women as the men not being able to represent their country in the Olympics.
            What are the odds that Bettman knew this before he said no to allowing the NHL players to compete. Why disrupt the NHL season when the whole tournament would be all about the Russians not being there.

Comment

• Originally posted by EPIC97 View Post
              What are the odds that Bettman knew this before he said no to allowing the NHL players to compete. Why disrupt the NHL season when the whole tournament would be all about the Russians not being there.
              0%. We're talking Bottom Line Bettman here.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                I'm under the impression that no Russian teams will be allowed to participate, and that it's only athletes that compete in individual (i.e. non-team) sports that will be given the opportunity to go.

I could be wrong though.
                You're wrong.

Oh, you want more than a statement a universal principle.

From the IOC's press release:

To invite individual Russian athletes under strict conditions (see below) to the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018. These invited athletes will participate, be it in individual or team competitions, under the name “Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)”. They will compete with a uniform bearing this name and under the Olympic Flag. The Olympic Anthem will be played in any ceremony.
                In other words, there will be no Russian team, but individual Russians can make up a team that competes under the Olympic flag. Assuming, of course, that the Russians both can and do form a team. In men's hockey, this is looking problematic, because the Russians are, unsurprisingly, throwing a temper tantrum. The KHL is threatening to cancel the month long Olympics hiatus in its schedule now that Russia is banned, and prevent any player (not just Russian) from leaving their team to play in the Games. This would cause a headache all around, because almost every country that will be at the Games was planning on having a significant number of KHL players on their roster.

Comment

Canada 2 USA 0. Just about over.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Canada 2 USA 0. Just about over.
                    Last 3 consecutive losses vs Canada only 2 total goals by USA and they were scored by defenseman. USA has 1 dangerous line right now and they are cold.

Comment

Originally posted by HNIF View Post
                      Last 3 consecutive losses vs Canada only 2 total goals by USA and they were scored by defenseman. USA has 1 dangerous line right now and they are cold.
                      I realize this is the time to experiment with lines, but Coach S might want to set them and leave them alone soon. There's a reason why things click and why they don't, and thats knowing and trusting who you're playing with to be where they are expected to be when you get the puck to them. I like the MN line, 20, 24, 28, and a MA line, 26,21, 14, and the twins together is great, maybe with Carpenter. That leaves you with Duggan, Pannek, Pankowski, or Pelkey for a fourth line, which ain't bad. Rooney and Rigsby in goal, whoever's left is D, pretty much.
                      These suggestions are probably why I've never been asked to coach, besides the fact that I can't skate, not even a little bit! But my dentist back in the '60's was the Red Wings dentist, and I got to see a lot of Gordie Howe!

Comment

Annie Pankowski was released today. So one of the call ups will make the team.

Comment

That's a pretty big surprise. She was considered a lock.

Interesting that since they've done the callups they lost to Canada twice.
                          "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arafel View Post

Interesting that since they've done the callups they lost to Canada twice.
                            It's called overthinking things. Ever met a goalie that DIDN'T overthink things?! Not me. That's why goalies are a mental mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                              I am not surprised. She's very very good, but she doesn't or at least last year didn't have the speed I would think is required for the Olympic team. That is the one thing missing from the arsenal, she has the rest.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                                It's called overthinking things. Ever met a goalie that DIDN'T overthink things?! Not me. That's why goalies are a mental mess.
                                Is Annie now playing goal? No wonder she got cut!

Comment

Working...
                                X