Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

it's interesting. The roster currently has 24 players, with three goalies and nine D and 12 forwards. You have to figure one of the D gets cut, and possibly one of the goaltenders. Do you go with two or three goalies? Bringing 9 D seems excessive. I might bring just 7 if I were the coach, figuring you dress six and have one in reserve. I understand adding two players. Certainly Skarupa plays well with Carpenter, and it could be nice to have that chemistry. I was surprised that both Skarupa and Kelli Stack didn't make the initial list.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796

What on earth is USA Hockey doing? .... What do you guys think of this approach?
    A. Maybe trying to send a motivational message to everyone on the roster, that no one is safe?

--- OR ---

B. Just making doubly sure that they will have the very best team possible for when the games begin?

--- OR ---

C. All of the above?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Lots of good feedback. Agree itís about a desire to have the best team on the ice in february, and yes they should do whatever they think they need to do to make that happen. As for the three cuts, I donít think any will be goalies, carrying three seems pretty standard.

I am surprised by the move because it is contrary to the process Reagan Carey laid out in September - they wanted no distractions of cuts, they wanted to be a tight knit bonded group. She said they went to Tampa in part so they could all live together and train together, even more so than previous residencies. When the Barnes call up happened, It surprised me but I didnít think there would be more. Surprise cuts seem like even more of a distraction than planned ones.

Should the girls really need another shake up already? I wouldnít think so. One can only guess, but I have to think the leadership is regretting some of their choices made months ago, or there are injuries we donít know about. I donít think leadership would tout the need and benefit of residency, only to have a secret plan to bring in girls late in the process on two occasions and only have a partial residency.

Anyway, lots of drama and fun to follow. I am reminded of Canada and their mid December coaching change four years ago. Looking forward to watching Canada and USA play next week, pretty sure itís on tv.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 11-27-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Needing to add three players this late in the game gives one the impression that USA Hockey has no idea what it is doing. If there is value in centralizing a roster, then why not centralize everyone that might wind up on the Olympic roster? It smacks of trial and error. I'd be fine with the Reagan Carey era coming to a close in the near future.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Needing to add three players this late in the game gives one the impression that USA Hockey has no idea what it is doing. If there is value in centralizing a roster, then why not centralize everyone that might wind up on the Olympic roster? It smacks of trial and error. I'd be fine with the Reagan Carey era coming to a close in the near future.
    The whole situation seems very peculiar. Let's hope there's more to this than meets the eye and that there are legitimate reasons for these moves/decisions. You would hope that it's not just a case of Stauber showing one aspect of his weird goalie personality.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Has anybody seen the document that describes the selection process for 2018?

In 2014 there was such a document, and if I remember correctly, players were selected for development (my assumption: the result being the addition of Dunne & Pankowski) as well as putting the best team on the ice. If I also remember correctly it consisted of the head coach, Carey, and I can’t remember for sure if there was one more person or not. Obviously, when you have a committee selecting the team there can be disagreement and failure to reach a true consensus. Ultimately, the coach has to have the team they want, or else why are they the coach? So you’d think ultimately the coach has the biggest voice.

It should be pretty apparent that last time the coach got the team she wanted, but it wasn’t the team she needed. So this time, did Carey stick harder by her opinion of what constitutes the best team or did she once again let the coach have his way if there wasn’t consensus on any choice (I don’t believe for a second she believed some of Stones choices were the best players available, do you?)? Likely, they are the only ones who know. But it would be a good guess that this is the result of whatever occurred back when the team was selected. For sure those last few roster choices are difficult, the difference in total skill and talent razor thin, more a difference of subtly, what one player may bring in a given situation compared to another.

On the other hand, given how the Olympic hockey teams more resemble a clique of girls in HS, a slumber party, and a soap opera rather than a sports team most of us are familiar with, maybe they feel the need to do a little house cleaning.

In the end I really don’t care, the Olympic gold medal for women’s ice hockey is the biggest joke in the Olympics and the Olympics themselves have devolved into the biggest joke in sports, it's makes the NCAA look like a bunch of choir boys and girl scouts.
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

lol

Anyway WOO HALEY

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    On the other hand, given how the Olympic hockey teams more resemble a clique of girls in HS, a slumber party, and a soap opera rather than a sports team most of us are familiar with, maybe they feel the need to do a little house cleaning.

In the end I really donít care, the Olympic gold medal for womenís ice hockey is the biggest joke in the Olympics and the Olympics themselves have devolved into the biggest joke in sports, it's makes the NCAA look like a bunch of choir boys and girl scouts.
    Wow, what a naÔve, sour grapes comment. Not so sure that your characterization of the National team as a clique or a slumber party flies on any level. The process is broken, but the women, no matter how they get there, sacrifice a great deal trying to achieve a Gold. You must not know any of them or are blinded by your own issues.

Quote Originally Posted by twointhebox View Post
    Wow, what a naÔve, sour grapes comment. Not so sure that your characterization of the National team as a clique or a slumber party flies on any level. The process is broken, but the women, no matter how they get there, sacrifice a great deal trying to achieve a Gold. You must not know any of them or are blinded by your own issues.
    You're new-ish here I see. Pokechecker is our resident forum troll and most of us just kind of ignore him when he goes off on one of his inflammatory posts. He's just trying to get a rise out of people.

Welcome to the joys of the USCHO Fan Forum!

EDIT: Actually you've been around a long time apparently, you just don't post often. I promise you that pokechecker is not worth coming out of lurk mode

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

two in the box

that seems to be part of the problem
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

If you need help in how to put people on the ignore list just ask we can help you with that.

A bombshell just got thrown into the Olympic competition. The Russian Olympic Committee was banned from the Pyongcheong games in response to its thorough subversion of drug testing in 2014 in Sochi. Individual athletes will be allowed to compete if they meet certain stringent requirements for testing, and they will do so under the Olympic flag and uniforms rather than those of Russia.

I have no idea how many of the women's hockey players will qualify under these standards. My completely uninformed guess is that those playing in Russia are going to have a hard time meeting them given the distrust of the testing there, but it's possible that they have some policies in place that the IOC would accept. I have no idea whether Russia will even be able to field a team, and I have no idea what changes will be made if they can't. Maybe a play in game between the final two teams eliminated in qualifying, the Czechs and the Germans? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    A bombshell just got thrown into the Olympic competition. The Russian Olympic Committee was banned from the Pyongcheong games in response to its thorough subversion of drug testing in 2014 in Sochi. Individual athletes will be allowed to compete if they meet certain stringent requirements for testing, and they will do so under the Olympic flag and uniforms rather than those of Russia.

I have no idea how many of the women's hockey players will qualify under these standards. My completely uninformed guess is that those playing in Russia are going to have a hard time meeting them given the distrust of the testing there, but it's possible that they have some policies in place that the IOC would accept. I have no idea whether Russia will even be able to field a team, and I have no idea what changes will be made if they can't. Maybe a play in game between the final two teams eliminated in qualifying, the Czechs and the Germans? Who knows.
    The Russian men's team was the odds-on favorite to win Gold, whereas their women were very unlikely to even make the Bronze medal game. Even so, rest assured it's just as hard on the women as the men not being able to represent their country in the Olympics.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I'm under the impression that no Russian teams will be allowed to participate, and that it's only athletes that compete in individual (i.e. non-team) sports that will be given the opportunity to go.

I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    The Russian men's team was the odds-on favorite to win Gold, whereas their women were very unlikely to even make the Bronze medal game. Even so, rest assured it's just as hard on the women as the men not being able to represent their country in the Olympics.
    What are the odds that Bettman knew this before he said no to allowing the NHL players to compete. Why disrupt the NHL season when the whole tournament would be all about the Russians not being there.

Quote Originally Posted by EPIC97 View Post
    What are the odds that Bettman knew this before he said no to allowing the NHL players to compete. Why disrupt the NHL season when the whole tournament would be all about the Russians not being there.
    0%. We're talking Bottom Line Bettman here.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I'm under the impression that no Russian teams will be allowed to participate, and that it's only athletes that compete in individual (i.e. non-team) sports that will be given the opportunity to go.

I could be wrong though.
    You're wrong.

Oh, you want more than a statement a universal principle.

From the IOC's press release:

To invite individual Russian athletes under strict conditions (see below) to the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018. These invited athletes will participate, be it in individual or team competitions, under the name “Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)”. They will compete with a uniform bearing this name and under the Olympic Flag. The Olympic Anthem will be played in any ceremony.
    In other words, there will be no Russian team, but individual Russians can make up a team that competes under the Olympic flag. Assuming, of course, that the Russians both can and do form a team. In men's hockey, this is looking problematic, because the Russians are, unsurprisingly, throwing a temper tantrum. The KHL is threatening to cancel the month long Olympics hiatus in its schedule now that Russia is banned, and prevent any player (not just Russian) from leaving their team to play in the Games. This would cause a headache all around, because almost every country that will be at the Games was planning on having a significant number of KHL players on their roster.

Canada 2 USA 0. Just about over.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Canada 2 USA 0. Just about over.
    Last 3 consecutive losses vs Canada only 2 total goals by USA and they were scored by defenseman. USA has 1 dangerous line right now and they are cold.

Quote Originally Posted by HNIF View Post
    Last 3 consecutive losses vs Canada only 2 total goals by USA and they were scored by defenseman. USA has 1 dangerous line right now and they are cold.
    I realize this is the time to experiment with lines, but Coach S might want to set them and leave them alone soon. There's a reason why things click and why they don't, and thats knowing and trusting who you're playing with to be where they are expected to be when you get the puck to them. I like the MN line, 20, 24, 28, and a MA line, 26,21, 14, and the twins together is great, maybe with Carpenter. That leaves you with Duggan, Pannek, Pankowski, or Pelkey for a fourth line, which ain't bad. Rooney and Rigsby in goal, whoever's left is D, pretty much.
    These suggestions are probably why I've never been asked to coach, besides the fact that I can't skate, not even a little bit! But my dentist back in the '60's was the Red Wings dentist, and I got to see a lot of Gordie Howe!

Thread Information