Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Any idea what the rationale is? After all these athletes are representing their countries and therefore their national identity, are they not?

In that context couldn't "Slovenia", "Switzerland", "Korea", "Finland", or a Maple Leaf or a Star Spangled Banner etc., emblazoned across a jersey be considered slogans related to national identity?

The thought police are in town.
    A few years back Hockey Canada was told they couldn't use their logo on the front of Canadian jerseys. That's why Olympic jerseys look different that those used in IIHF events. This is not an new controversy. IOC has always had some bizarre rules. Like no brand names on sticks?

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
      A few years back Hockey Canada was told they couldn't use their logo on the front of Canadian jerseys. That's why Olympic jerseys look different that those used in IIHF events. This is not an new controversy. IOC has always had some bizarre rules. Like no brand names on sticks?
      Yet skiers and snowboarders can't dismount fast enough at the end of their runs to hold up their equipment emblazoned with logos...

I think Richter had an issue with his goalie mask when it had the Statue of Liberty on it since he used the same one as when he was playing with the Rangers.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Yet skiers and snowboarders can't dismount fast enough at the end of their runs to hold up their equipment emblazoned with logos...

I think Richter had an issue with his goalie mask when it had the Statue of Liberty on it since he used the same one as when he was playing with the Rangers.
        Every Kid wants a Burton Snowboard !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          Every Kid wants a Burton Snowboard !
          They sure do now!

The funniest part of that competition is when one of the woman finishes a disappointing run. She gets to the finish and falls down on the snow, head in her hands. Then, no more than a quarter of a second later, she quickly jumps up, dismounts, and holds up her snowboard. God forbid she should forget to show off her sponsor's logo ... emotions be darned.

NASCAR drivers would be proud...
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            What is up with the lack of red on the US uni's? We look like Finland out there. What a ridiculous uniform for the RED white and blue.
            Agreed. Awful design. The genius(es) that came up with those unis should give back any money made on those un-American uniforms. Whoever approved them at USA Hockey should be fired. Wonder if they have a 3rd uni they could wear instead of those eyesores.

Comment

On "hockey blasphemy" . . ..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/s...ns-hockey.html

(check out post #522)
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-14-2018, 09:40 AM. Reason: kudos

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                On "hockey blasphemy" . . ..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/s...ns-hockey.html

(check out post #522)
                Thanks for this.

I was thinking about this yesterday and concluded that the only purpose of all the endless fluid motion (purposefully going nowhere) in the neutral zone or even high in their own end was to get one or two opponents out of position and when the puck carrier at that particular moment sees that...then the attack commences full speed ahead to take advantage of the opponent's temporary weakness. Couldn't see any other purpose (other than to get high marks for form from the judges). Now that this article confirms that, watching tonight's game is going to be that much more interesting.

I wonder, if this new system doesn't produce the desired results in the next few games, how quickly it might be turfed into the trash can of hockey history. I wonder what would have happened had Finland scored 2 more goals the other night and ran the score to 3-0 while the US comforted themselves with their dominating possession time? The old Red Army team which taught North American hockey experts so much as to change the game here significantly might refute Stauber's seeming assumption that victory will follow if you dominate possession just because the other team can't score while you have the puck. Although that adage is true, there's a bit more to it than that.

On the other hand, the opposite might happen...if successful, every other team will be cloning it including NCAA teams...maybe even the NHL?

But how long do you continue this dance before seeing an opening? Would they keep this up for 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 7 minutes if necessary? Maybe, "if necessary" is the determining factor because that would make sense if you buy into the underlying theory. But if that starts to happen over time, if this new system takes hold, it seems to me that it's the old "be careful what you wish for" because I could see attendance decline because boredom would set in...or viewed another way, the amount of time in a game in which action is actually occurring gets reduced, and maybe substantially.

And there's the consideration of possibly expending more energy than your opponents while you are skating in circles that may come back to haunt you in the latter stages of a game.

Something new has been added. Give Stauber marks for creativity.

Let's see how this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Maybe she forgot that once upon a time Monique Lamoureux was a Gopher, so no...
                  I know it's not cool, but I still view the Lamoureux twins as ex-Gophers. No presence on the walls at Ridder, besides the team photo, or almost anywhere else in Gopherdom,but they did have fantastic freshman years until the NODAK Siren song hit their ears.

Comment

That NYT story reads like its CORSI gone mad. Great hockey teams have really good possesion numbers because they have good players that dominate the puck, not because they’re actively “trying” to hog the thing.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

On the other hand, the opposite might happen...if successful, every other team will be cloning it including NCAA teams...maybe even the NHL?
                      They already do. This isn't exactly the crazy new concept the author makes it out to be.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                        I know it's not cool, but I still view the Lamoureux twins as ex-Gophers. No presence on the walls at Ridder, besides the team photo, or almost anywhere else in Gopherdom,but they did have fantastic freshman years until the NODAK Siren song hit their ears.
                        It certainly is a fact that they are ex-Gophers. Whether or not the twins would want more of a "presence on the walls at Ridder" I'm not so sure. As for the call of the Siren only they could answer whether it was initially emanating from Grand Forks or Vancouver.

Two of the most indelible memories I have of Ridder Arena are of Natalie Darwitz circling around on the power play with the puck looking to pass to Wendell or Stephens and also of the Lams rushing up the rink with the puck into the offensive zone along with whoever their left wing might be for that game. They probably should have won a national championship if it weren't for a nasty case of food poisoning and okay maybe Meghan Agosta.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-14-2018, 03:51 PM. Reason: Miss Langer, again
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          They probably should have won a national championship if it weren't for a nasty case of food poisoning and okay maybe Meghan Agosta.
                          And the fact that Jessie Vetter owned the Gophers.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            They already do. This isn't exactly the crazy new concept the author makes it out to be.
                            This isn't quite what NHL teams do. This is more a case of doing a neutral zone regroup but doing it over and over again even though nobody is pressuring you. Let's call it multiple regroups regardless of pressure. It's not hard to defend when four American players are spending time regrouping at the top of their own zone. Hey, it might make for a great penalty kill. The other teams aren't chasing and Canada surely will not get sucked into it either. It's a waste of energy over the course of 3 periods but they are highly conditioned athletes so let them have at it I guess. Only tonight's final score matters, not how it happened.....unless they lose of course. Lol.
                            Last edited by shelfit; 02-14-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              And the fact that Jessie Vetter owned the Gophers.
                              Mostly, yes, except the one game in Wisconsin when the Gophers put four by her, including two by J Lam. The Gophers were 1-2-2 against Vetter with the Lams. If there had been a 6th game?
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM. Reason: We'll never know.
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Give Stauber marks for creativity.
                                Players seem to have bought in. More than that here: http://www.startribune.com/former-go...m/473994793/#1
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X