Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Maybe she forgot that once upon a time Monique Lamoureux was a Gopher, so no...
    True, but I'm sure that the consensus among gopher fans would be that like Spock the Lamoureux's blood runs green not maroon and gold so...

I'm seeing why Carpenter got cut now. This team is all about the regroup, speed, puck movement, and play on the periphery - not going to the net. Carpenter is a North South player who goes to the net who isn't particularly fast or a good puck handler - but she scores. If the USA wins gold no one will care - if they lose we'll be talking about why Carpenter wasn't there to score goals and they played more N-S

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    We had Tessa Bonhomme back in studio, and I think that was a poor decision. She is far more poised and in control of what comes out of her mouth than A.J. is, and I think it's a waste to just have her working for ~ 5 minutes while A.J. prattles on for two hours.
    Why wasn't the MSNBC feed part of the internet stream?
    Far be it for me to critisize my fellow broadcasters, and however bad AJ may have been, she would have been a VAST improvement from those two misinformed amateurish boobs who worked the internet stream. Kept saying "Nora RAT-ee", and mispronouncing every other player's name. I mean...c'mon!!! I'm but no stretch perfect, but I can't endure listening to those two guys -- whose names I don't know because they never revealed that once throughout the stream -- call another game. Sounded worse than two college freshman on their first assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by play-by-play guy View Post
    Why wasn't the MSNBC feed part of the internet stream?
    Far be it for me to critisize my fellow broadcasters, and however bad AJ may have been, she would have been a VAST improvement from those two misinformed amateurish boobs who worked the internet stream. Kept saying "Nora RAT-ee", and mispronouncing every other player's name. I mean...c'mon!!! I'm but no stretch perfect, but I can't endure listening to those two guys -- whose names I don't know because they never revealed that once throughout the stream -- call another game. Sounded worse than two college freshman on their first assignment.
    The replay I watched was obviously the Internet stream. If that guy said "head on a swivel" one more time...

I was impressed with both Lamoureux's yesterday, including how they avoided retaliating and staying out of the box. This photo was on the front of the sports section in today's Star Tribune:

*******http://stmedia.stimg.co/08_100545585...w=2000********

Also this was an interesting tidbit in the article regarding the team composed of the "Olympic Athletes from Russia":

"Six women’s hockey players who competed in Sochi were among those given lifetime bans. Russia also was stripped of its sixth-place finish at the 2014 Winter Games. Last week, Russian media reported that the World Anti-Doping Agency took 16 of 23 Russian players to doping control before a practice shortly after their arrival in Pyeongchang."

http://www.startribune.com/u-s-women...d/473724043/#1
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I was impressed with both Lamoureux's yesterday, including how they avoided retaliating and staying out of the box. This photo was on the front of the sports section in today's Star Tribune:

I still can't believe no penalty was called on that.

Also this was an interesting tidbit in the article regarding the team composed of the "Olympic Athletes from Russia":

"Six women’s hockey players who competed in Sochi were among those given lifetime bans. Russia also was stripped of its sixth-place finish at the 2014 Winter Games. Last week, Russian media reported that the World Anti-Doping Agency took 16 of 23 Russian players to doping control before a practice shortly after their arrival in Pyeongchang."

No doubt, all their athletes are going to be under a microscope. Nonstop p*ssing for them...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    I still can't believe no penalty was called on that.

No doubt, all their athletes are going to be under a microscope. Nonstop p*ssing for them...
    Did they put a picture of Eddie Shore below the collection cup?

My major complaint (ahead of their leaving MN for the fracking fields) was that they took stupid penalties, way too often at the worst time. I noticed at the World CHampionships this spring that they allowed their talent to lead and kept the stupid stuff out. Freed of their attitude it was possible to appreciate how well they can play the game. And nobody watched the winning goal scored against them from the penalty box. The Canadians always play chippy, if you have the discipline to ignore that it will pay off.

No names? Anyone know who the six are?

Way to go Hannah! She might have had two if she just hadn't opened her glove a mite on that first one. The Minnesota Gopher line was really flying all game. Lots of scoring chances.

Nice goal by Gigi, too, with a great fist pump. Four of the five goals by former Gophers. Yeah, J Lam, I know, I know just a rented Gopher for one year.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-13-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: J not M

(Comrade Fox)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    No names? Anyone know who the six are?
    Inna Dyubanok, Yekaterina Lebedeva, Yekaterina Pashkevich, Anna Shibanova, Galina Skiba, and Yekaterina Smolentseva.

Lebedeva, Pashkevich, and Smolentseva won their appeals with the Court of Arbitration for Sport due to lack of evidence, although the latter two are retired now. Shibanova, Skiba, and Dyubanok had their appeals partially upheld - their life ban has been shortened to just this Olympics.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14
    Year of Graduation: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 21-18-4
    Women's: 10-15-4
    /r/collegehockey moderator

Let's go RED!

What is up with the lack of red on the US uni's? We look like Finland out there. What a ridiculous uniform for the RED white and blue.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    What is up with the lack of red on the US uni's? We look like Finland out there. What a ridiculous uniform for the RED white and blue.
    With so many Gophers & Eagles on this team, you almost wonder if it was a player request

I think the US is having more issues than just red:

Olympic Committee May Force US Goalies To Remove Statue Of Liberty From Masks.

A little bit of controversy out of the Olympic hockey tournament as USA Hockey is currently working with the IOC to make sure their goalies can keep the Statue of Liberty on their goalie masks.

Both female goalies Nicole Hensley and Alex Rigsby feature the landmark on their goalie masks.

Earlier the IOC stated that the images must be removed but USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer said "discussions were ongoing".

According to guidelines: No item may feature the wording or lyrics from national anthems, motivational words, public/political messaging or slogans related to national identity.

The controversy only comes up now because neither goalie played in the tournaments opener as Maddie Rooney was the starter. The team's coach hasn't committed to a starter yet so Hensley or Rigsby are expected to start the next game, Hensley features the image on the left side of her mask while Rigsby features it on her chin.

Shoot the Puck :)

My observation is that they look like the uniforms worn in the Little League World Series (baseball). All of them basically the same, just a slight color variation.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by dd17 View Post
    According to guidelines: No item may feature the wording or lyrics from national anthems, motivational words, public/political messaging or slogans related to national identity.
    Any idea what the rationale is? After all these athletes are representing their countries and therefore their national identity, are they not?

In that context couldn't "Slovenia", "Switzerland", "Korea", "Finland", or a Maple Leaf or a Star Spangled Banner etc., emblazoned across a jersey be considered slogans related to national identity?

The thought police are in town.

Quote Originally Posted by DC78-82 View Post
    My observation is that they look like the uniforms worn in the Little League World Series (baseball). All of them basically the same, just a slight color variation.
    Lol, nice observation. I like Finland’s that they wore vs USA.. Each team has so many, some are sweet, some not so much.

A little bit of controversy out of the Olympic hockey tournament as USA Hockey is currently working with the IOC to make sure their goalies can keep the Statue of Liberty on their goalie masks.

Both female goalies Nicole Hensley and Alex Rigsby feature the landmark on their goalie masks.

Earlier the IOC stated that the images must be removed but USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer said "discussions were ongoing".

The controversy only comes up now because neither goalie played in the tournaments opener as Maddie Rooney was the starter. The team's coach hasn't committed to a starter yet so Hensley or Rigsby are expected to start the next game, Hensley features the image on the left side of her mask while Rigsby features it on her chin.
    Remember when Ryan Miller played for Team USA in the Olympics? He had to remove the slogan he put on his helmet, "Miller Time" because it was considered advertising for Miller Beer, which of course is not an official sponsor of the Olympics.
    Russell Jaslow

The Statue of Liberty is not a slogan. And how does that differ from the lion on Finland's chest? Or, as someone else said, the Maple Leaf on a Canadian jersey. I'd like to know what the IOC is thinking. (Not to mention, doesn't every athlete have a flag on their shoulder and if the sport has a helmet, on their helmet?)
    Russell Jaslow

(Comrade Fox)

It's a nonstory, Hensley wore the mask with it today. Someone at USA Today just wanted clicks.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14
    Year of Graduation: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 21-18-4
    Women's: 10-15-4
    /r/collegehockey moderator

Thread Information