2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
    by "OAC" do you mean Canada? they are just called team canada. similarly, USA is just called team USA, not OAUS. they are not in the same doping situation as Russia, which the IOC has banned from being represented under their nation as Russia. Hence, "OAR" is the designation for the russians under the olympic athletes umbrella.
    Yes, they're just trying to be witty and hip lol
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
      by "OAC" do you mean Canada? they are just called team canada. similarly, USA is just called team USA, not OAUS. they are not in the same doping situation as Russia, which the IOC has banned from being represented under their nation as Russia. Hence, "OAR" is the designation for the russians under the olympic athletes umbrella.

http://time.com/5141549/oar-team-win...s-2018-russia/

i think that "they" refers to team USA.

I just cannot think team USA will lose again to schuler. not 2 games in a row at the Olympics. and certainly not the past 5. Rooney has proven to be extremely capable and if decker can score then it's over.
      How many in a row did they lose to Canada during the pre-Olympic series? Your opinion on the Canadian staff and management team are well known but do not hold a lot of water right now. The USA are likely more talented however talent has not translated into wins against Canada. It could happen tomorrow and if it does, it will be because they are better and not because of how LS has coached. She has done an admirable job.

Comment

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post

http://time.com/5141549/oar-team-win...s-2018-russia/
        Yes, I do.

And, yes, I am aware.

It's the closest I can come to being politically correct while acknowledging (giving a nod to) the Russian Women's Hockey Athletes as being no less the athletes representing their country than the athletes on any other women's hockey team in this tournament.

i think that "they" refers to team USA.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought initially, but if that's the case then the sentence doesn't make sense since he was explaining why he thinks OAUS will lose the Gold Medal Game.

I just cannot think team USA will lose again to schuler. not 2 games in a row at the Olympics. and certainly not the past 5.[/QUOTE]

This is funny...it's an inside joke, so I can't tell you..but believe me, it's very funny.

Rooney has proven to be extremely capable and if decker can score then it's over.[/QUOTE]

Szabados (and Lacasse) have proven to be extremely capable and if Spooner can score is it over?

I think the most anyone can say is that, barring any freak occurrence, this should be a great competitive game...as usual and well worth the price of admission and a tub of popcorn.

Just saw a tremendous commercial on CBC promoting the game squeezing every bit of promotional juice out of the history and intense rivalry...great for the game of Women's Hockey.

Comment

I like the way USA's game has evolved over the course of the tournament. They are doing a much better job of getting players and pucks in front, putting themselves into position to screen the goalie and cash in on any rebounds. In short, they've become "grittier", borrowing a page from Canada's playbook, rather than always looking to make the perfect, pretty play. If they can keep that hard-nose approach while using their speed advantage, the Americans should be able to generate more quality scoring opportunities than they'll give up to the Canadians. Assuming relatively equal goaltending, where I think the Americans also have an advantage, plus relatively equal "puck luck", I'll go 4-2 USA, with the last goal coming on an empty net.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            How many in a row did they lose to Canada during the pre-Olympic series? Your opinion on the Canadian staff and management team are well known but do not hold a lot of water right now. The USA are likely more talented however talent has not translated into wins against Canada. It could happen tomorrow and if it does, it will be because they are better and not because of how LS has coached. She has done an admirable job.
            obviously the USA women are much better. But USA has the advantage now in not just players but coach and are arguably even in goaltending. i do not know how Maddie Rooney will play tomorrow but she has been very formidable against canada all of last year. And because team canada women beat the american women like 5 straight games in a row it becomes less likely with each passing game that that streak will continue. Tomorrow could be the end.

team canada women's GM basically said that this team has big problems that will need another quadrennial to fix. Basically, resigned to silver. Le sigh.

Laura Schuler had Wakefield playing defence against russia in the semis. Unless that is punishment for poor play i cannot see the rationale of this decision.

Jenner and wakefield have been disappointing to me this tournament. but that could change tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
              obviously the USA women are much better. But USA has the advantage now in not just players but coach and are arguably even in goaltending. i do not know how Maddie Rooney will play tomorrow but she has been very formidable against canada all of last year. And because team canada women beat the american women like 5 straight games in a row it becomes less likely with each passing game that that streak will continue. Tomorrow could be the end.

team canada women's GM basically said that this team has big problems that will need another quadrennial to fix. Basically, resigned to silver. Le sigh.

Laura Schuler had Wakefield playing defence against russia in the semis. Unless that is punishment for poor play i cannot see the rationale of this decision.

Jenner and wakefield have been disappointing to me this tournament. but that could change tomorrow.
              I'll bet if we play your post backwards the hidden message that you encoded is...Paul is dead? Either that or Canada wins gold.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I said it in another thread and I'll say it here, the US has already lost the gold. There has been SO much press on the loss 4 years ago that there is no way they will be loose enough to play fast and win the gold. They will be tight and afraid to make mistakes, and they have an advantage in goal.
                And you will be here to tell us all how it was Staubers fault for being a Gopher. Maybe you should stick to wardrobe commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  And you will be here to tell us all how it was Staubers fault for being a Gopher. Maybe you should stick to wardrobe commentary.
                  He did lose to Harvard in the NCAA title game at home.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    First off, Arafel has done a fine job torching Stauber in the Olympic thread and other places. I agree with him and he's a gopher fan and 1000% more knowledgeable than me. Secondly, are you incapable of reading comprehension? I have never said Stauber sucks because he is an ex-rodent, he sucks due to his inexperience and questionable personnel choices. Where he went to school is IMMATERIAL. But you have your fake news narrative about me and my views that you continually push no matter what I write. In fact I was in the rodent thread and said some nice things about Zumwinkle and the weapons you have coming in/back next year the other day, where's your scalding "Timothy A hates rodents" commentary on that post? WHERE IS IT? I was on the rodent men's thread during the UW/UM series calling for a truce between neighbors. Where's your scalding "Timothy A hates rodents" commentary on that post WHERE IS IT? I've said in the past if UW doesn't in the ncaa, I want UM to (Western bias). That doesn't fit your fake news bias of me, so you ignore it. I'm here to have some lighthearted fun and chat with people who love a niche sport that I love. Sometimes I try for straight up honest analysis and other times I'm just goofing around, throwing pitches down the middle that people can hit out of the park. I don't mind, it's fun, it's not serious.

Yes I despise the UM men's program and Amanda Kessel, I have made that perfectly clear in the past. I do not hate everything rodent. I have a great appreciation and respect for the UM women's program. Frosty is a heck of a coach. He wears pretty spiffy shoes. I really love Peter's outward living of her Faith from the Bible passage on her helmet to the faith related things she is doing outside of hockey. She and I are on the same team and I love it.

I was SO tired last night after a 3rd mega late night hockey game I literally had no emotion after they won. It was the weirdest thing since I'm such a gaga emotional fan. I suppose going to bed between 12:30 & 1:30 and getting up @ 5:20 for 2 days will suck the life out of just about anyone. I'm probably a little bitter/sad the ARD/Rigsby matchup was never even close to materializing. That is a bummer, but Rooney and Zabs played great.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

First off, Arafel has done a fine job torching Stauber in the Olympic thread and other places. I agree with him and he's a gopher fan and 1000% more knowledgeable than me.

Duuude. Arafel ain't a him and not specifically a Gopher Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        Duuude. Arafel ain't a him and not specifically a Gopher Fan.
                        Assuming everyone on the board is a him may be one of the things getting Timothy in hot water

Comment

First off, Arafel has done a fine job torching Stauber in the Olympic thread and other places.
                          The problem in both your cases it the constant ax grinding.

As for commenting on the positive comments about MN: You don't need me to praise you you do well enough on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            You don't need me to praise you, you do well enough on your own.
                            Ahhh...So that was the sound I heard of him popping his shoulder out patting himself on the back.

Comment

Sorry to change the subject. Does anyone know how many current students will be returning from the Olympics to their schools for playoffs and possible NCAA Tournament play ?

Knock your socks off: NCAA Student-Athletes at the 2018 Winter Olympics

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...inter-olympics

I haven't read this. Fifty-six of the athletes llisted competed in women's ice hockey.
                              It doesn't distinguish alums from current students.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Archivist View Post
                                Sorry to change the subject. Does anyone know how many current students will be returning from the Olympics to their schools for playoffs and possible NCAA Tournament play ?
                                Almost all of the European players, and exactly zero of the North Americans. The former were with their teams before the Games and will be back. The latter aren't going to give up a year of eligibility just for the last four weeks of the season; they also likely are not eligible, as I very much doubt that any of them are taking a full class load this semester.

Comment

Working...
                                X