Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    So we play the Canadians 6x on NHL ice. Who has the advantage on Olympic ice??
    I would say the Americans. But no matter what size rink they play on, they will need a much stronger effort than they gave tonight.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I would say the Americans. But no matter what size rink they play on, they will need a much stronger effort than they gave tonight.
    How were you able to watch the game?...didn't even know it was being played...does someone have an accurate schedule other than the one that I posted (which I thought was all there was).

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/te...ry?gameid=1869

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    How were you able to watch the game?...didn't even know it was being played...does someone have an accurate schedule other than the one that I posted (which I thought was all there was).
    Just answered my own question...the article I read the other day didn't mention tonight's game so I didn't know it was taking place.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/te...stats/schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Schedule with game times, ticket, and TV information (including the 4 nations cup):
    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...-national-team

Speaking of Olympic ice, it's a little surprising to me that for the game in the Twin Cities they're playing at Xcel instead of 3Mariucci. You'd think the chance to get in a little time on the bigger ice, as well as the smaller capacity, would have made it a better fit than playing in at NHL arena where at least half the seats will be empty.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Nowheresville View Post

Speaking of Olympic ice, it's a little surprising to me that for the game in the Twin Cities they're playing at Xcel instead of 3Mariucci. You'd think the chance to get in a little time on the bigger ice, as well as the smaller capacity, would have made it a better fit than playing in at NHL arena where at least half the seats will be empty.
    yup, part of the problem of attendance is that everyone knows you can wait for the last minute to buy a ticket, if the games sell out it would increase future demand.
    who knows, maybe they'll sell out the X, but I will be extremely surprised if they do, they couldn't do it last time with people intrigued there may be a fight and also everyone off for Xmas break
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

Schedule with game times, ticket, and TV information (including the 4 nations cup):
    No free TV for any of the four November games.

Thanks, some gorgeous goals.

I could me misspeaking here, but I don't believe the Olympics play on Olympic-size ice sheet any more. The men went to the NHL size rinks a few cycles ago, and just assume that the women did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    FINAL: USA 1 USA's pants 5
    That would be "hat", USAs hat.

I always expect close games but here were 2 that were obviously over early yet the series is close. Both teams trying to figure it out yet from the way they have played.

Quote Originally Posted by play-by-play guy View Post
    I could me misspeaking here, but I don't believe the Olympics play on Olympic-size ice sheet any more. The men went to the NHL size rinks a few cycles ago, and just assume that the women did the same.
    Looks like both the men and the women will be playing on Olympic-sized ice sheets:

"Both venues contain international-sized rinks (60 meters by 30 meters)."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_ho...inter_Olympics

Marrucci seats 10,000 XL 18,000 and if it is as it has been for previous games the crowd will be in the teens. We love the game here and support it.

Quote Originally Posted by play-by-play guy View Post
    They play on NHL sized rinks when the Olympics are in North America, and the international size when the Games are elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Marrucci seats 10,000 XL 18,000 and if it is as it has been for previous games the crowd will be in the teens. We love the game here and support it.
    Really, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'd think a crowd of 10k would still be plenty impressive for this game, and I'd be pretty surprised if the X opens up anything beyond the lower level.

Looking at ticketmaster last night, the middle of the rink was getting pretty filled, but the corners and ends were still essentially empty, and they weren't selling tickets for anything in the upper levels. I suppose that could change dramatically in the next month - I don't know how well it's being advertised up there, and I only discovered the game was happening last night - that seems a little optimistic to me.

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/924304918097272832

Cayla Barnes was called up to the USWNT and will redshirt the rest of the season.

BC claims she will maintain her 4 years of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/924304918097272832

Cayla Barnes was called up to the USWNT and will redshirt the rest of the season.

I haven't been paying much attention; did somebody get hurt, or cut?

(From what (little) I understand about redshirt rules, she should be fine.)

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    I haven't been paying much attention; did somebody get hurt, or cut?

(From what (little) I understand about redshirt rules, she should be fine.)
    This may be a wake up call to some veterans on the roster. The last game was full of big mistakes and a lack of team defense.

Would this mean that if a player gets cut late in the year, they could come back and finish the season with their college team while retaining a redshirt? That could really get Timmy wound up. If it's the case that you can play a part of a season with your college team and then leave by choice, rather than injury, and take a redshirt, it's a screwed up rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Would this mean that if a player gets cut late in the year, they could come back and finish the season with their college team while retaining a redshirt? That could really get Timmy wound up. If it's the case that you can play a part of a season with your college team and then leave by choice, rather than injury, and take a redshirt, it's a screwed up rule.
    No I am definitely positive you can't come back after the fact and keep your redshirt. I think the difference here is that her leaving for the rest of the season was an unforeseen circumstance. Coming back before the season was over means that you're continuing your season.

I think there's a certain percentage of games threshold that has to be met for you to petition for the redshirt. And then you can't return that season, period.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 10-28-2017 at 08:31 PM.

No I am definitely positive you can't come back after the fact and keep your redshirt. I think the difference here is that her leaving for the rest of the season was an unforeseen circumstance. Coming back before the season was over means that you're continuing your season.
    Categorizing this as an "unforeseen circumstance" is an abuse of language. It implies that it isn't a circumstance over which you had complete control; Barnes has chosen to leave BC for the rest of the year.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

I think there's a certain percentage of games threshold that has to be met for you to petition for the redshirt. And then you can't return that season, period.
    This is the first time I've ever heard of a player leaving for a non-injury/medical reason after playing games and retaining eligibility in women's hockey. I suppose the rule has been on the books for a while, but it is rather strange.

There are now like 9 D listed on the roster. What happens if Barnes gets cut? Does she come back to BC? If not, there is a good likelihood that she makes the Olympic team in 2022, and would then finish her BC career in 2023. That's a long span of a career (10/2017 to 03/2023) w/o involving injury.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Thread Information