Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Camp is now underway as the first step toward determining the final roster.
    http://www.mynews13.com/content/news..._ice_hock.html

As previously announced the Head Coach will be Rob Stauber.
    http://www.startribune.com/robb-stau...eam/420928163/

Hilary Knight is the face of U.S. women's hockey (video)
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/hil...-womens-hockey
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Let's go RED!

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

I'm still not convinced Stauber is the right guy just based on overall experience, but uncoached on talent alone this team should make the Gold medal game, so I guess it's not that big of a problem.

Interesting Vetter has come out of retirement. I wonder if she was asked to re-join or just decided she stilled wanted to play hockey and contacted them.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post

Interesting Vetter has come out of retirement. I wonder if she was asked to re-join or just decided she stilled wanted to play hockey and contacted them.
    When you can finally get paid for the game you love to play and think you can still play at the highest level it is a no brainer.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    When you can finally get paid for the game you love to play and think you can still play at the highest level it is a no brainer.
    Yes, but those tugs of Motherhood can change priorities.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

I'm still not convinced Stauber is the right guy just based on overall experience, but uncoached on talent alone this team should make the Gold medal game, so I guess it's not that big of a problem.

she has played for, and worked with/for Stauber in the past, and the new $$ agreement 'proly is a bit of an incentive too
    the more competition, the better
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA he played at Minnesota, something MUST be wrong with him. Ignore that fact he has been successful, being a Gopher should exclude him from consideration for any national team. How many gold medals have Wisconsin players and coaches won vs, Minnesota's? Maybe Vetter wants to be coached by a successful goalie & successful coach?

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA he played at Minnesota, something MUST be wrong with him. Ignore that fact he has been successful, being a Gopher should exclude him from consideration for any national team. How many gold medals have Wisconsin players and coaches won vs, Minnesota's? Maybe Vetter wants to be coached by a successful goalie & successful coach?
    He lost to Harvard when it counted.

Let's go RED!

Well, there is NO denying that since he played for the rodents, he is a massively flawed human being, BUT my concern was the fact that he is light on coaching experience, taking off my UW jersey and putting on my team USA jersey. A monkey with one eye and half a tail could coach this team to the gold medal game, so his being light on coaching experience is no big deal.

Timothy's protests aside, I'm liking what I'm reading about Robb Stauber so far. But in all likelihood, even if he eventually develops into the next Scotty Bowman, his coaching ability will be largely judged on how his team performs in one game next February.

For Robb Stauber, imagination should run wild on U.S. women's hockey team
    http://www.startribune.com/for-robb-...eam/421095263/

2017-18 USWNT To Be Announced Live on NHL Network

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rrer_id=695820

Friday at 1pm EDT

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Timothy's protests aside, I'm liking what I'm reading about Robb Stauber so far. But in all likelihood, even if he eventually develops into the next Scotty Bowman, his coaching ability will be largely judged on how his team performs in one game next February.

For Robb Stauber, imagination should run wild on U.S. women's hockey team
    http://www.startribune.com/for-robb-...eam/421095263/
    He did a pretty good job at the world's so we have to give him credit for that win.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    He did a pretty good job at the world's so we have to give him credit for that win.
    What do we have 10-12 Former/Current Gophers on the tryout Roster? I hope Rob remembers where he came from before they make the final cut.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Presumably only half the goalies and half the forwards will make it.

Will they go with experience in goal, or will one of the "youngsters" make it? Interesting that the three you'd think would have the biggest say in that, are all from the WCHA: Stauber(MN), Richter(WI), & Goehring (UND).

The blue line looks like it will be relatively young and inexperienced compared to forward. Eight of the twelve (2/3) were in college or younger for this past season. Only eight of the 24 (1/3) forwards were college or younger this year.

Looks like a tough lineup to crack at forward, eight returning (nine counting Marvin) and I wouldn't bet on any of them not returning for 2018. Even if only 2/3 return from 2014, that only leaves 6 spots for the remaining 15.
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796

"I love hockey in a way that I can barely describe."

Not all that interesting, but since everybody's holding his or her breath until tomorrow, and it is the off-season, and no one's posted anything since 9:49 this morning!, I thought I'd perform a public service:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/s...ale-judge.html

But isn't that a great statement?
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 05-04-2017 at 09:04 PM.

I recall a Gopher named Brooks who did OK as an Olympic coach a while ago. Stauber will do just fine, footsteps to follow, all that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by drewkal View Post
    I recall a Gopher named Brooks who did OK as an Olympic coach a while ago. Stauber will do just fine, footsteps to follow, all that stuff!
    Not even close to the same circumstances. Huge underdogs vs several teams they weren't supposed to beat in 1980 compared to arguably the favored team going into the next Olympics given the recent World Championship victory over their arch rivals to the north and with those same rivals as the only real other threat to win the gold.

You are correct that they'll do just fine with him at the helm much as they would be just fine with you or me or anyone with a bit of a hockey pulse at the healm.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796
    When do the Canadians announce their roster?

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Not even close to the same circumstances. Huge underdogs vs several teams they weren't supposed to beat in 1980 compared to arguably the favored team going into the next Olympics given the recent World Championship victory over their arch rivals to the north and with those same rivals as the only real other threat to win the gold.

You are correct that they'll do just fine with him at the helm much as they would be just fine with you or me or anyone with a bit of a hockey pulse at the healm.
    I don't know about the "you and me" could do the job but if he fosters the creativity stemming from Team USA's speed that he talks about and gets good goaltending from Rigsby, Vetter, or whoever is chosen, I like Team USA's chances of winning gold.

Would like to see Rooney or Burt get a shot to be in the goaltending rotation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    "Just fine" won't be good enough, so arguably there is more pressure on Stauber going into the tournament. Then again, no other USA coach has been able to do it since 1998. It seems like every time they play one another it's a one goal game, so which team has the better coaching staff can definitely make a difference.

Thread Information