2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

I still think one source of Team USA’s quadrennial dysfunction is OCD: Obsessive Canada Disorder. Numerous, fruitless pre-Olympic encounters with our perceived nemesis have just left us chasing our own tail. Maybe the best thing that could happen (to both North American programs) is for Eeyore’s Finns to win the gold.

Ali never sparred with Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      Your mother is finished trimming the crust off your Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich, but you’ll have to pick up your Star Wars toys off your bedroom floor if you want to watch Star Trek while you have lunch, she want to vacuum your bedroom floor.
      I am kinda partial to trimmed PB&J sammiches... but I do feel bad that Genbeau, Joecct, and D2D got lumped together with me by the horses petute.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

Ali never sparred with Frazier.
        This is true.
        But perhaps part of the reason they play is to build interest in Women’s hockey.
        I am going to suggest an alternative, a battle of the sexes. Just like Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King, they should get a bunch of old men together, perhaps the 1980 US Gold medal team, and have them play the women. Then, when the women hand them their rear ends on a platter, the liberal media can blow their trumpets of what a great accomplishment it is, and Hollywood can make a movie (just be careful of the casting couch).
        Last edited by pokechecker; 12-28-2017, 10:37 AM. Reason: glad to see shelfit got the help ze needed

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Who coached any team to any level of success in 1956 is irrelevant to what kind of coach any coach is today, that is all I mean by that. I hate stats like team X hasn't won city Y in 13 years when the entire roster has turned over twice and team X is on their 3 GM and coach in 13 years. What happened 13 years ago to team X in city Y means nothing to why team X can or cannot win in city Y today with the current GM/coaches/players.
          You are right Timothy A, who coached the Olympic team in 1956 is not relevant whatsoever when discussing whether or not Robb Stauber will do well as an Olympic Coach or not. I just used the discussion as an excuse to mention that 3 of the 5 Silvers won by the US from 1956 were with Gophers as the Head Coach, and of course 1 of the 2 Golds. And I know as a Gopherhatah that you enjoy reading of such things.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
            You are right Timothy A, who coached the Olympic team in 1956 is not relevant whatsoever when discussing whether or not Robb Stauber will do well as an Olympic Coach or not. I just used the discussion as an excuse to mention that 3 of the 5 Silvers won by the US from 1956 were with Gophers as the Head Coach, and of course 1 of the 2 Golds. And I know as a Gopherhatah that you enjoy reading of such things.
            Why be so formal, some call me Tim. I heard a rumor Badger Bob had some rodentsota ties, you could have put that in there too. Like I said, we're all wearing cardinal white and blue, I don't care who is from where, just win baby!
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Why be so formal, some call me Tim. I heard a rumor Badger Bob had some rodentsota ties, you could have put that in there too. Like I said, we're all wearing cardinal white and blue, I don't care who is from where, just win baby!
              I'll put it in

Badger Bob coached midgets in Minneapolis when he was 13 and taught history at my High School for 6 years while my sisters were attending. I, of course, am much younger than they

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                I am kinda partial to trimmed PB&J sammiches... but I do feel bad that Genbeau, Joecct, and D2D got lumped together with me by the horses petute.
                Don't feel bad, FHF. Just stay away from the Star Wars sandwiches. They're a little Chewie.

Comment

Ok Tim, it is true that Badger Bob was once Gopher Bob, and I think he played on at least one Olympic team, and he coached one of them, too. Finished 5th I believe? Great guy, great coach. Was the first American to coach an NHL team to a Stanley Cup title I believe?

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    This is true.
                    But perhaps part of the reason they play is to build interest in Women’s hockey.
                    I am going to suggest an alternative, a battle of the sexes. Just like Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King, they should get a bunch of old men together, perhaps the 1980 US Gold medal team, and have them play the women. Then, when the women hand them their rear ends on a platter, the liberal media can blow their trumpets of what a great accomplishment it is, and Hollywood can make a movie (just be careful of the casting couch).
                    The media is only as liberal as the conservative corporations that own them.
                    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                      Just stay away from the Star Wars sandwiches. They're a little Chewie.
                      Good advice...I also try to stay away from the droid poppers and X-wings as they become a force to be reckoned with once they're in the stomach.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

You are a very knowledgeable hockey fan. Make the case that Stauber is as qualified as Johnson or Stone.

Despite what I believe is a lack of experience as a head coach, I was and always will be cheering for the US to win the gold medal, no matter who the coach is. Stauber seemed to be doing a fine job (and proving me wrong) up until the decision to abandon the centralization concept and bring in more players, which seems to have lead to a streak of poor play and loses to our arch rival that are concerning, leading many people, just not me, to question or re-question his ability. Obviously he's not going anywhere and I certainly hope they get their act together destroy the competition in a few months.

So for the record, yes, I deeply loathe rodentsota in every single sport, but in international play, we're all on the same team and all wearing the right colors. On USA!
                        I am not qualified to evaluate coaches. The difference between and most people around here is I admit I am not qualified. Stauber coached a couple of 4-nations winners and World championships too. If they don't win the Olympics they will be like every other USA Olympic team since 1998s. I am not convinced you can blame that on Stone, Johnson or Stauber. What I think should happen if they do lose is that USA hockey should put a small team together to interview all the players, coaches and team officials as well as recognized womens hockey experts to try to figure out what is different at the Olympics. Maybe Canada does not focus on those other games (I doubt that as Canadian fans take losing at hockey like a national tragedy), maybe the USA team really chokes (not a concept I believe in but might as well look at it) maybe it is just dumb luck (the US could easily have won both of the last two gold medal games, they were that close).

Comment

I thought they were supposed to announce the team during the 2nd Intermission? All they did was have 4 players wave to the crowd and if you go to the USAH web page it says "Invalid Access".

Twitter has it. No Carpenter. And now USAH
                          Last edited by joecct; 01-01-2018, 02:38 PM.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Looks like a solid roster, especially at forward and in goal. Other than #2 and #5 not much height on defense though. Winning battles behind the nets could be a problem, but then Marciano and Frazier were shorter than most of their opponents, too, and don't forget the Dempsey/Willard fight.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Just a theory, the cuts of Carpenter and Bozek? The US lineup is full of BC and UMn players. Some might argue Carpenter was the best offensive player on the team and Bozek the best defensive player, and maybe they were vocal leaders on the team, or the most popular players on the team. Any chance Stauber thought they were having a negative influence on the other members of the team? That the team wasn't listening to him? So his cutting these two and replacing them with younger players may have been a move to regain control of the team?

I'm in no way an expert and I have absolutely no inside information, maybe there were other reasons? I just have a hard time figuring out in my head what they could be?

Any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                I thought they were supposed to announce the team during the 2nd Intermission? All they did was have 4 players wave to the crowd and if you go to the USAH web page it says "Invalid Access".

Twitter has it. No Carpenter. And now USAH
                                Stauber couldn't have shaved for the occasion?! He looked like such an unprepared amateur. Meanwhile Granato looked as professional as can be. Quite a contrast and not one that looks good for the women's team.

Comment

Working...
                                X