2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    He's also American -- he has dual citizenship. And he has been an assistant coach for US national teams in the past.
    And in the end, it doesn't matter.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

If memory serves there was a previous article written about the Brandt sisters, but this one's brand new, having just been published in today's StarTribune:

Seoul sisters
      http://www.startribune.com/seoul-sis...ams/431432173/
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The USA and Canadian women face off in their first meeting leading up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, today at 2:00pm ET. The game will be televised live on the NHL Network. Should be some great hockey!

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rrer_id=695820

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          The USA and Canadian women face off in their first meeting leading up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, today at 2:00pm ET. The game will be televised live on the NHL Network. Should be some great hockey!

They'll probably pick up the TSN feed, so say hi to tOSU grad and daughter of a Techer, Tessa Bonhomme.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

FINAL: Canada 2 Canada's pants 5

Where are all those geniuses that whined about Stauber being the coach? Tim?

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              FINAL: Canada 2 Canada's pants 5

Where are all those geniuses that whined about Stauber being the coach? Tim?
              Canada only has to win the last game to call it a successful vs. USA series. The USA has the same issue and the 1,000 lb monkey on its back.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Canada only has to win the last game to call it a successful vs. USA series. The USA has the same issue and the 1,000 lb monkey on its back.
                No doubt but given what I have seen of Canada's fans, particularly their behaviour in Plymouth this spring, my guess is their coach may not be given a chance at that lsat game if the team plays like this again soon.

BTW - NHL network is going to replay the game at 7:30 EDT in case you missed it & want to see
                Last edited by ne7minder; 10-22-2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

The two teams play an entirely different style, and that's coaching. It's only one game, but it's clear the Americans' emphasis on puck possession is serving them well...so far.

I really enjoy watching women's hockey played at the highest level, like we saw today. As the Olympics approach and each team's systems are refined, the level of intensity on both sides will only ratchet up further, which for all of us women's hockey fans will make it even more fun to watch .

Comment

The two teams play an entirely different style, and that's coaching. It's only one game, but it's clear the Americans' emphasis on puck possession is serving them well...so far.

I really enjoy watching women's hockey played at the highest level, like we saw today. As the Olympics approach and each team's systems are refined, the level of intensity on both sides will only ratchet up further, which for all of us women's hockey fans will make it even more fun to watch .
                    USA reminds me of the Soviets. Regroup until you can spring the attack.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was thinking the same. The similarity would be even greater if they could draw their opponent in a little more, only to spring a crafty forward (or two) getting open and in for a breakaway (or a two on one).

Comment

In the Olympic year, when a player is selected to the Olympic team, do they get an "Olympic Pass" on their eligibility with the NCAA? I would imagine this to be true and that they would not have to burn a red shirt year for this correct?

With that asked, which players will return and what year will they be in upon that return.

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                          In the Olympic year, when a player is selected to the Olympic team, do they get an "Olympic Pass" on their eligibility with the NCAA? I would imagine this to be true and that they would not have to burn a red shirt year for this correct?

With that asked, which players will return and what year will they be in upon that return.

I apologize if this has already been discussed.
                          Yep. But if the team wins, the NCAA players cannot appear on the Wheaties box.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

There are two things I remember about the old Red Army team (an my memory may be faulty, it has proven to be so before). One was that they never had as many SOG as you would expect an elite team to have yet they had more goals. I would love to see an 'efficiency' number, the ratio of shots per goal. If I am right their numbers would be really low. The other was the impression that they didn't so much shoot as they passed the puck into the net. I remember watching them play 'tic-tac-toe' with the puck & thinking the poor goalies must have felt like they were stuck in a pinball machine with multiple balls in play.

The very best womens teams, like US & Canada, do that same thing. Great movement from side to side. I'd want my pads strapped down tight & probably a couple of dramamine before the game!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              There are two things I remember about the old Red Army team (an my memory may be faulty, it has proven to be so before). One was that they never had as many SOG as you would expect an elite team to have yet they had more goals. I would love to see an 'efficiency' number, the ratio of shots per goal. If I am right their numbers would be really low. The other was the impression that they didn't so much shoot as they passed the puck into the net. I remember watching them play 'tic-tac-toe' with the puck & thinking the poor goalies must have felt like they were stuck in a pinball machine with multiple balls in play.
                              Indeed, they shot less than North American teams, and shot less hard. Ice hockey became a serious sport in the Soviet Union after World War II, an era of extreme austerity. Anatoli Tarasov, tasked with creating Central Red Army and the national team, had to come up with systems for winning with teams that couldn't afford to replace broken sticks. So, no slapshots. Tarasov also found the passing style to be aesthetically pleasing. Combined with grueling drills and training methods unheard of for hockey teams elsewhere, it produced a very different style.

It's also worth noting that personality-wise, Tarasov was almost the exact opposite of his successor Viktor Tikhonov. He demanded everything from his players, but he had a sense of humor and took an interest in them off the ice, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                Indeed, they shot less than North American teams, and shot less hard. Ice hockey became a serious sport in the Soviet Union after World War II, an era of extreme austerity. Anatoli Tarasov, tasked with creating Central Red Army and the national team, had to come up with systems for winning with teams that couldn't afford to replace broken sticks. So, no slapshots. Tarasov also found the passing style to be aesthetically pleasing. Combined with grueling drills and training methods unheard of for hockey teams elsewhere, it produced a very different style.

It's also worth noting that personality-wise, Tarasov was almost the exact opposite of his successor Viktor Tikhonov. He demanded everything from his players, but he had a sense of humor and took an interest in them off the ice, too.
                                One aspect of the 1980 US Olympic team that allowed them to stay with the Russians was their stamina. Because of their youth, and because of Herb's insistence on conditioning, they pulled away from each of their opponents, including the Soviets, in the third period. They trailed after two periods in more than half of their Olympic games, but caught and passed everyone (well, except for the Swedes).

Comment

Working...
                                X