Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Did he not win the Coach of the Year award during one of his years behind the bench for Colorado?

If so, wouldn't that temper your opinion of him to some degree?
    Lmao, not in the least. Roy is a dumba**.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Lol, maybe not Brooks (and definitely not Bowman) but perhaps Ben Smith who then went on to screw things up when he very unceremoniously cut Granato and Looney and then lost Gold that Olympics. Talk about a dumb decision that backfired!
    He also lost the silver in the same Games.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    He also lost the silver in the same Games.
    True but the reality is "If you ain't first you're last!"

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

"If you ain't first you're last!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4usE2RePqo

As long as he wins Gold. Nothing else will be good enough. Even getting the Silver will mean he was the wrong choice.
    I agree that this is how it will go, but it's a really dumb way to decide who is and is not a good coach. If one puck sliding the length of the ice goes six inches to the left of where it did, Katey Stone would be considered a winner rather than a loser, despite having done the exact same job coaching the team. Having the determination of competence come down to the outcome of a single game, or even just three games if you judge the infrastructure over the 2009-2018 period, is the way that stupid organizations make sure that they remain stupid.

There were certainly some process issues with Stone, much as there are with Stauber now. Judge them on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I agree that this is how it will go, but it's a really dumb way to decide who is and is not a good coach. If one puck sliding the length of the ice goes six inches to the left of where it did, Katey Stone would be considered a winner rather than a loser, despite having done the exact same job coaching the team. Having the determination of competence come down to the outcome of a single game, or even just three games if you judge the infrastructure over the 2009-2018 period, is the way that stupid organizations make sure that they remain stupid.

There were certainly some process issues with Stone, much as there are with Stauber now. Judge them on that.
    Great post and I don't disagree but no Olympic Gold medals since '98?! That's just not good, and it grows worse with each passing Olympics without another Gold. Coaches are judged by their wins and losses at the end of the day and they know that type of judgement goes with the job, fair or not.

Great post and I don't disagree but no Olympic Gold medals since '98?! That's just not good, and it grows worse with each passing Olympics without another Gold. Coaches are judged by their wins and losses at the end of the day and they know that type of judgement goes with the job, fair or not.
    To me, it's not a question of being fair; it's a question of making the right decisions to produce the greatest likelihood of winning gold in the future. The U.S. hasn't won it since 1998, but that hinges on four games lost by a total of five goals, albeit one of them in the semis to Sweden. That's too tiny a sample size of games in which one bounce could have made the difference from which to make judgments based upon the outcomes. A good organization won't be much swayed by them and will judge the process.

An outstanding organization can do the same thing when they've won a series of close games with a flawed process.

Making America Troll Again

"if" ROFL

a couple weeks ago some Canadian was calling for Schuler's head and the blaming the captains because they had lost the 4 Nations Cup, that is to be expected
    these past games are meaningingless
    now we've had someone saying the US players are too old and Stauber is a moron
    I guess it's nice someone actually cares
    Last edited by pokechecker; 12-15-2017 at 07:07 AM.
    Doing my best to alleviate our nations political hysteria.

Making America Troll Again

To me, it's not a question of being fair; it's a question of making the right decisions to produce the greatest likelihood of winning gold in the future. The U.S. hasn't won it since 1998, but that hinges on four games lost by a total of five goals, albeit one of them in the semis to Sweden. That's too tiny a sample size of games in which one bounce could have made the difference from which to make judgments based upon the outcomes. A good organization won't be much swayed by them and will judge the process.

An outstanding organization can do the same thing when they've won a series of close games with a flawed process.
    sample size, this is sports, not some social science

bases loaded, two outs, ninth inning ...
    you either get the job done or you don't
    Doing my best to alleviate our nations political hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    sample size, this is sports, not some social science

bases loaded, two outs, ninth inning ...
    you either get the job done or you don't
    I didn't really expect you to get it.

Puck drops in about a half hour, televised on NBCSN. I know it's an exhibition, but I always enjoy watching these two teams go at it! Is having so many of the best players in the world on just two teams unique to women's hockey?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Great backcheck by Keller on Nurse (who looked like she was having trouble skating) but she then tripped her and should have been off for two.

Got lucky on that one.

That was definitely goaltender interference on Canada...

They did mention that Canada has been playing in a AAA Midget League, and it sure looks like it's paying off. Noticeably improved over the beginning of the exhibition series. USA looks like they've taken a step backwards, playing mostly from the perimeter when they do get it in the offensive zone.

As a Badger fan, I find these games highly confusing and conflicting.

Nurse scores... on Rigsby. Uhhh... Yay?
    Decker scores... on Desbiens. Or 'Yay' this time?
    Desbiens stones Knight, at close range. Oh, who know!!

Four or five players I really like are going home happy, and four or five are going home unhappy. Which outcome do I cheer for?

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    They did mention that Canada has been playing in a AAA Midget League, and it sure looks like it's paying off. Noticeably improved over the beginning of the exhibition series. USA looks like they've taken a step backwards, playing mostly from the perimeter when they do get it in the offensive zone.
    USA has some work to do...Have em line up after the game and start doing Herbies.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    USA looks like they've taken a step backwards, playing mostly from the perimeter when they do get it in the offensive zone.
    Interestingly, Cheryl Pounder commented to Tessa Bonhomme between the 2nd and 3rd periods from the TSN studio that the US didn't look right and that "something might be going on in the dressing room", and then she made it clear that she did not know but that that was a possibility.

Prior to that, between the 1st and 2nd, she commented that "both teams have no jump in their step which is necessary if you" intend to win Olympic Gold...or something to that effect.

Canada seemed to have corrected that in the 2nd and 3rd of this game but maybe not so much for the US. But, then again, it's only one game.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    As a Badger fan, I find these games highly confusing and conflicting.

Nurse scores... on Rigsby. Uhhh... Yay?
    Decker scores... on Desbiens. Or 'Yay' this time?
    Desbiens stones Knight, at close range. Oh, who know!!

Four or five players I really like are going home happy, and four or five are going home unhappy. Which outcome do I cheer for?
    I have the same feelings, but I have to root for USA!

I watched the 2nd half of the 2nd period and dvr'ed the 3rd. The US played so tentatively it was ridiculous playing wide and not slicing through the middle of the N zone with speed on the attack. Is the 3rd worth watching or just more of the 2nd?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Is the 3rd worth watching or just more of the 2nd?
    A few good flourishes but overall more of the same. Yes it was just "one game", but based on what we saw last night I believe you have to say the Americans look to be "the favorite" to win Silver in Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    The US played so tentatively it was ridiculous playing wide and not slicing through the middle of the N zone with speed on the attack.
    I don't know of any hockey teams at any level that are taught to "slice through the middle" of the neutral zone. That typically is not a pathway to successful offensive zone entry. But hey maybe you're onto something new....take the puck straight through the heart of the ice, sort of a go where the defending team least expects it approach, even though most of their 5 skaters will probably be somewhere in between the dots. Good strategy!
    Last edited by shelfit; 12-16-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Thread Information