Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Let's go RED!

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I'm fine with not having the Stone "experience"...
    In hindsight, yeah she sucked. But she has more experience that Stauber.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    In hindsight, yeah she sucked. But she has more experience that Stauber.
    All coaches have to coach some games to gain experience. Apparently USA hockey thought Stauber had enough experience and was the best candidate for the job. Hope they were right...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    That's been tried.
    So they of course won Olympic gold

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    All coaches have to coach some games to gain experience. Apparently USA hockey thought Stauber had enough experience and was the best candidate for the job. Hope they were right...
    As long as he wins Gold. Nothing else will be good enough. Even getting the Silver will mean he was the wrong choice.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Is Stauber's resume any worse than Schuler's resume? It would seem like one country is going to win gold despite any coaching resume deficiencies.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

It's funny. Eight months ago, everyone thought Stauber was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Not to Tim, Coach Stauber was never good enough & his main complaint was his having been a Gopher

Let's go RED!

Not me. I was critical of his experience from the start. Where he went to school is not a factor.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Not me. I was critical of his experience from the start. Where he went to school is not a factor.
    I was also critical of him from the beginning. Still feel the same way. Only capturing Gold will change that, maybe. Any former goalies ever turned into top level coaches? I can't think of any. Maybe some of you can.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Any former goalies ever turned into top level coaches? I can't think of any. Maybe some of you can.
    Patrick Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Patrick Roy.
    Gerry Cheevers, Emile Francis, Eddie Johnston and Roger Crozier. Not many in the new era of the NHL.

Making America Troll Again

the most legendary HS coach in MN boys hockey

he was only named coach May 1 and I must have missed all the Stauber love here, because most have been critical of the choice, in fact I don't recall anyone saying it was a good choice

when your D doesn't know which direction their goal is and *star* players play like they don't want to wrinkle their uniforms, maybe it is a coaching problem
    Last edited by pokechecker; 12-14-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    Doing my best to alleviate our nations political hysteria.

The only mistake I see with Stauber is having so many old veterans back on this team. Some of these gals have been around too long and are past their prime. Being on this team was a way to make more money than the pro team they are on. We need the new blood with the fresh legs who will listen to the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Patrick Roy.
    Lol, what a terrible example!

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Gerry Cheevers, Emile Francis, Eddie Johnston and Roger Crozier. Not many in the new era of the NHL.
    Better examples, although very outdated, so it's clear that very few goalies become top level coaches.

With so many Golds for the various US teams in non-Olympic events over the years but choking at each Olympics since '98, only Gold at the upcoming Olympics will be acceptable. I feel there is actually more pressure on Team USA to win this time than there is on Team Canada. Most Canadians feel their team is big and slow compared to Team USA, and poorly coached, so I think their expectations are lower than ever before.
    Last edited by shelfit; 12-14-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brokentwig View Post
    The only mistake I see with Stauber is having so many old veterans back on this team. Some of these gals have been around too long and are past their prime. Being on this team was a way to make more money than the pro team they are on. We need the new blood with the fresh legs who will listen to the coach.
    I've always felt like the players who are -2 to +2 years out of college are the ideal age for this (not that there aren't exceptions). NCAA women's hockey is the top league in the world in this sport, and the players playing in it are getting the world's best training. That might change once the N and the C put themselves in a position to make full-time training a priority for their players, but they aren't there yet. My guess is a team of NCAA All Stars would be pretty competitive with the Olympic teams. **SCALDING HOT TAKE ALERT**

Also I have no idea what I'm talking about, so take it with a heaping helping of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I've always felt like the players who are -2 to +2 years out of college are the ideal age for this (not that there aren't exceptions). NCAA women's hockey is the top league in the world in this sport, and the players playing in it are getting the world's best training. That might change once the N and the C put themselves in a position to make full-time training a priority for their players, but they aren't there yet. My guess is a team of NCAA All Stars would be pretty competitive with the Olympic teams. **SCALDING HOT TAKE ALERT**

Also I have no idea what I'm talking about, so take it with a heaping helping of salt.
    Watt are you talking about?

If Matt Desrosiers wins another NCAA title I can see him coaching the Canadian National team (and Joe Marsh gets another substitute gig).

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Lol, what a terrible example!
    Did he not win the Coach of the Year award during one of his years behind the bench for Colorado?

If so, wouldn't that temper your opinion of him to some degree?

If Stauber's team wins the only game that truly matters he'll be hailed as the second coming of Herb Brooks. And who knows, some people might draw comparisons to the great Scotty Bowman even.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    If Stauber's team wins the only game that truly matters he'll be hailed as the second coming of Herb Brooks. And who knows, some people might draw comparisons to the great Scotty Bowman even.
    Lol, maybe not Brooks (and definitely not Bowman) but perhaps Ben Smith who then went on to screw things up when he very unceremoniously cut Granato and Looney and then lost Gold that Olympics. Talk about a dumb decision that backfired!

Thread Information