Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Annie Pankowski was released today. So one of the call ups will make the team.

That's a pretty big surprise. She was considered a lock.

Interesting that since they've done the callups they lost to Canada twice.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Arafel View Post

It's called overthinking things. Ever met a goalie that DIDN'T overthink things?! Not me. That's why goalies are a mental mess.

Let's go RED!

I am not surprised. She's very very good, but she doesn't or at least last year didn't have the speed I would think is required for the Olympic team. That is the one thing missing from the arsenal, she has the rest.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Wink Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    It's called overthinking things. Ever met a goalie that DIDN'T overthink things?! Not me. That's why goalies are a mental mess.
    Is Annie now playing goal? No wonder she got cut!

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Is Annie now playing goal? No wonder she got cut!
    I think the reference is to the coach's former position.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

The two players (14 & 21) they have leaned heavily upon in the past may as well have stayed home in StP, I didn't see the Winterpeg game.
    somebody said they should stop tinkering with the lines, so players get some mojo from playing with each other, but the opposite could be true, by playing the same lines it let's the Canucks learn how to stop them, only line (as far as I can tell) that has been kept intact is Coyne-Knight-Decker, maybe it's time to break that line up

the other thing is, the goalies apparently have to point out to the D which goal they are supposed to be skating towards, I can't begin to count the number of times a US D player was skating towards the US goal pursued by a Canuck
    "hey stupid! the goal is the other way!"
    or maybe the US D was just trying to let Rooney make some difficult stops in front of her friends & family so she had an opportunity to look good

Team USA said they went on strike for the young girls playing hockey, well, my observation, there were tons of them sitting around me, is what they want is for USA to beat Canada, the disappointment on their faces could not have been more apparent
    The fact is, Haiti and most African countries ARE cesspools.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I think the reference is to the coach's former position.
    I was kidding and don't think that the coach is over analyzing, the issue for AP might be footspeed.

Anyone else questioning the wisdom of playing so many pre-Olympic games vs. Canada? In the grand scheme of things - which in the end will boil down to that one last final MEANINGFUL game after (IMO) too many exhibitions - I'm of the the opinion that having the heavy pre-Olympic schedule vs. Canada will actually end up favoring the Canadians, provided they are able to make the necessary defensive adjustments. Based on the last two USA losses, my fear is that we saw a glimpse of what's to come...they are learning and adopting to what the Americans are trying to do.
    Last edited by D2D; 12-11-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Let's go RED!

Anyone else questioning the head coach selection? Pretty thin on experience I have said in the past. Maybe that is showing now.

I think playing Canada so many times is dumb. Play them once early on to see where you stand then tour US colleges for some game experience. I bet top end teams would love to add an exhibition mid week to play the US Olympic team. I bet the nwhl would also want to play them.

Only reason Canada has beaten the USA in Olympic competition is the fact the USA is out coached every time ! The reality is the USA has better players, I would give Canada the edge in goaltending.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Anyone else questioning the head coach selection? Pretty thin on experience I have said in the past. Maybe that is showing now.

I think playing Canada so many times is dumb. Play them once early on to see where you stand then tour US colleges for some game experience. I bet top end teams would love to add an exhibition mid week to play the US Olympic team. I bet the nwhl would also want to play them.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

all this talk about getting outcoached or lack of experience is kinda funny, just a few weeks ago it was Schuler on the hot seat, in the end, the losing coach will be tarred and feathered, the winner breathe a sigh of relief because anything short of gold is failure

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    you'd have to be a bit crazy to take this job, it's somewhat of a lose - lose situation, get blamed for losing, little credit if you win
    although I'm sure Stone would have been heralded as a great leader, worthy of the presidency if she had won
    the media love stories like that, many women and questionable men eat that stuff up
    Last edited by pokechecker; 12-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    The fact is, Haiti and most African countries ARE cesspools.

I think playing Canada so many times is dumb.

Yes, familiarity breeds tedium as well as contempt, takes away from the drama of the ultimate tournament, and reinforces the sense that the gold medal all comes down to a crapshoot: Whose turn is it to have a good game? None of this ramps up public interest in the way a real tour with both pro leagues, say, would. Competition? Well, nothing is more exciting than two top teams meeting each other for the first time in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    Yes, familiarity breeds tedium as well as contempt, takes away from the drama of the ultimate tournament, and reinforces the sense that the gold medal all comes down to a crapshoot: Whose turn is it to have a good game? None of this ramps up public interest in the way a real tour with both pro leagues, say, would. Competition? Well, nothing is more exciting than two top teams meeting each other for the first time in a long time.
    So, how would you provide the top level competition those two teams need to progress if they don't play each other?

Yes, we all understand the current coach is a former Gopher so completely unacceptable. Maybe next Olympics you can talk USA Hockey into picking a former Badger & you can finally be OK with a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    I didn't see the Winterpeg game.
    It was substantially uneventful.

The only two things of note were Fortino's bank shot off the boards near Canada's blue line that resulted in an empty netter for entertainment value in a game that lacked entertainment...and a deafening volume to the PA system which I'm sure caused many consternation the next morning. Some guy came on the system during a commercial break asking the crowd to make some noise...of all things. Many people had their hands covering their ears as it was before his request. This is a serious problem.

It was a waste of money.

Translation = you missed nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    So, how would you provide the top level competition those two teams need to progress if they don't play each other?
    In the past they've both played boy's teams. If I'm not mistaken Canada played in a league where they were competitive, but still lost some.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Maybe next Olympics you can talk USA Hockey into picking a former Badger ...
    That's been tried.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Let's go RED!

Yes, we all understand the current coach is a former Gopher so completely unacceptable. Maybe next Olympics you can talk USA Hockey into picking a former Badger & you can finally be OK with a choice.
    No, he's just light on experience period when compared to Stone or Johnson.

No, he's just light on experience period when compared to Stone or Johnson.
    I'm fine with not having the Stone "experience"...

Thread Information